Royal Wedding - worth the hassle?

51 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

I just gave you a green.

thank you sir...takes abit more then that to rattle me...just saw it as a singling out....I rather like to see John wanting to hop a Canadian goose over the pond.

Blimey, have you seen the number of Alamy Live News submissions just for "wedding preparations"?  It's going to be madness on Saturday.  Wondering if I can come up with something completely different on the day.......

3 minutes ago, Sally said:

Blimey, have you seen the number of Alamy Live News submissions just for "wedding preparations"?  It's going to be madness on Saturday.  Wondering if I can come up with something completely different on the day.......

Where do you see this? I haven't tried anything live news and likely never will. Just curious. 

Current distance: 28.54 km (17.73 mi)

Distance on Saturday: 44.19 km (27.46 mi)

However most likely my distance to the television set will probably be 2m/6ft.

As it is now.

;-)

wim

13 hours ago, Sally said:

Pray for snow in Scotland and maybe that will do it! :D

14 hours ago, Sally said:

Yes, apathy can be a difficult concept to illustrate...

2 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

Yes, apathy can be a difficult concept to illustrate...

As can procrastination.;)

Allan

weather looks set to be good so I think we'll go to the beach. Tie a flag to the beach umbrella and upgrade the bag of beers to a bottle of pink fizz. Walton or Frinton might be in the party mood. Pack a camera just in case things come together. But I wouldn't dream of joining the fray at Windsor!

1 minute ago, Robert M Estall said:

weather looks set to be good so I think we'll go to the beach. Tie a flag to the beach umbrella and upgrade the bag of beers to a bottle of pink fizz. Walton or Frinton might be in the party mood. Pack a camera just in case things come together. But I wouldn't dream of joining the fray at Windsor!

Frinton? Party? They didn't allow pubs until 2000.

The most interesting thing I saw in Frinton the other week was a horse-drawn hearse. Coffee at the railway crossing museum was OK though, with biccies for £1. Oh, and......no, that's a monopoly, you probably already know anyway.

I'm sure the Victory in Walton will have the bunting out, but Harwich is worth a look if you don't know it. The Hanover Arms has a potty-mouthed parrot.

On 5/14/2018 at 14:50, John Morrison said:

Never mind the wedding, I can see a lot of picture opportunities in being "trapped " for the weekend with your mother-in-law. It sounds like an episode of 'On the Buses'.

I'll be busy during the wedding, watching paint dry...

I like that idea. Much more interesting! :-)

18 hours ago, Sally said:

I went up and down the Royal Mile in Edinburgh today in search of Royal Wedding tat.  Nothing to be found except the usual Tartan tat.  If you cant find it in Scotland's capital city's main tourist spot, then I don't think it is to be found. 

How did you miss the tins of Walkers shortbread? 😱

Frinton know how to party, but they don't do pubs. They are a bit up themselves. Harwich certainly do pubs, but their bit of beach is pretty miserable. We like Dovercourt but in spite having an official Green Flag beach, I don't think it is quite ready for bubbly and up-market beach  parties. We could always opt for Clackers, I'm sure they will be up to speed  

On 5/15/2018 at 08:59, Richard Baker said:

Well I went along yesterday - primarily to shoot some Windsor 'getting ready' but also to recce the route and ear wig in on the arrangements so managed to pick up some intel!

Road will indeed be closed by 4.am and some by 10.00pm the previous night. The route itself is very narrow in places; the town is small anyway but add to that the pinch-points created by anti-terrorism barriers and you have the potential for massive logjams. The Long Mile area will have 3 metre wide barriers positioned away from the road so unless you want to wait for 6 hours by a railing, you'd be best shooting from a distance although there is no high ground and I'd bet they will be police every few yards to block the views for many when it matters. There will also be 6 screens broadcasting live in the park and I've no idea if ladders will be allowed there but yesterday there was a board at the Castle end saying only Media can film from preset areas half-way down which sounds unenforceable.

I was intending to go on Saturday but really hate being penned into non-places so am seriously thinking the other way - of finding some street parties near us in south London. Those pictures have far wider uses than the one-off event itself.

Wherever you end up, at least it'll be nice weather!

Rgds,

Richard.

I'm doing the same. Lots of wedding related stuff happening in London that may - with everyone and their granny off to Windsor - actually allow for some nice shots. And on the plus side, you can enjoy a glass of Pimms in a more relaxed atmosphere. My pics tend to be better if I enjoy taking them. Would hate being stuck in some Windsor side-street unable to get anywhere or shoot anything that hasn't already been done to death after potentially trying to secure a spot all night, for the miniscule chance of getting a sale, add the cost of overnight stay, transport, potential damage to equipment....nah. Filing must be tricky, too, with the networks stretched. I wonder if the organisers at least guarantee decent connectivity in media tents to those who shelled out the £750+VAT for accreditation? 

On 5/15/2018 at 22:52, Phil Robinson said:

I suspect if you can find another news story happening that day - ANY other news story - you will probably be the only photographer there. (Except maybe that football match)

....I'm on the phone to the entire population of owners of cute dogs, sausage dogs, pip the cockapoodles, shitzus, terriers, monkeys, llamas, iguanas, cats in dresses, cats not in dresses, talking parrots, laughing cows and performing lions right now....trying to find a way to cram them all into Trafalgar Square/The Mall/that wobbly bridge by the Tate Modern as we speak. Anyone got a spare hot air balloon to add? :D:D

It's a shame, and a little short-sighted I think, that the first train doesn't get in until six in the morning, but that itself could be a subject to look at. Crammed trains and platforms. The Long Walk area looks more open than The Mall where you also need an interrupter gear for trees and lamp posts, on top of guardsmen and police. Elbows sharpened, bring it on!

On 5/16/2018 at 20:15, Sally said:

Wondering if I can come up with something completely different on the day.......

If you look hard enough you surely should be able to find another couple called Harry and Megan getting married on the same day.

Alan

On 5/16/2018 at 22:51, wiskerke said:

However most likely my distance to the television set will probably be 2m/6ft.

My distance will probably be AFAAICG.

Alan

58 minutes ago, Sally said:

Royal Wedding fever in Scotland!  Someone found some here https://www.alamy.com/news/?3249714

A village near me called Markle.  Doesn't look like they are getting too excited though.

Yup. That's me. Saw similar pic in The Scotsman this morning and trotted over to take some myself. ... lovely village.

Archived