Royal Wedding - worth the hassle?

On 5/14/2018 at 16:31, Matt Ashmore said:

The problem is, much of this will happen Wednesday, Thursday and Friday... but I have a day job and it's normally weekends that I find myself in Windsor.

Oh, I always thought you're a full time pro.  That makes it a big problem, then.

50 minutes ago, Lisa said:

According to Google maps I am 13 miles from Windsor Castle. 

Google maps says I'm a 936 KM drive from Windsor Castle.  I don't think I'll bother... :lol:

55 minutes ago, Lisa said:

According to Google maps I am 13 miles from Windsor Castle. 

I've found a regular priced motel just a twenty minute train ride way, of which I'll be on the first one run on Saturday morning at o'dark hours

1 hour ago, Colblimp said:

Google maps says I'm a 936 KM drive from Windsor Castle.  I don't think I'll bother... :lol:

Google maps says I'm 15,154 km from Windsor Castle. Still thinking about it... NOT!

Gen

1 hour ago, Phil Robinson said:

I suspect if you can find another news story happening that day - ANY other news story - you will probably be the only photographer there. (Except maybe that football match)

That would be these football cup finals.

5 hours ago, Sally said:

Good grief. I have not seen a single public expression related to the forthcoming wedding North of the Border.

Indeed, other than a tin of royal wedding biscuits in M&S.

Can we photograph a negative?

On the same vein, at Maj's last jubilee, it was very noticeable that almost immediately across the border there was bunting everywhere, and I hadn't seen any here at all; though I did hear a rumour of a street party a couple of towns away.

meh, was there last year...and although I like the monarchy, I have no desire to see anything with Megan Markle in it or on it...

8 hours ago, Cryptoprocta said:

Indeed, other than a tin of royal wedding biscuits in M&S.

Can we photograph a negative?

On the same vein, at Maj's last jubilee, it was very noticeable that almost immediately across the border there was bunting everywhere, and I hadn't seen any here at all; though I did hear a rumour of a street party a couple of towns away.

Yes, I was wondering how we might photograph the complete lack of royal wedding fever. That might be newsworthy :)

11 hours ago, Phil Robinson said:

I suspect if you can find another news story happening that day - ANY other news story - you will probably be the only photographer there. (Except maybe that football match)

I don't know.. I reckon Keith will still have sunsets and starlings in Aberystwyth covered! :-)

But jokes aside, quite possibly true. But it would likely have to be quite an important story as most papers will be dedicating multiple pagers to the wedding.

12 hours ago, Colblimp said:

Oh, I always thought you're a full time pro.  That makes it a big problem, then.

I'll take that as a compliment! :D I would love to be a full-time photographer but I work in IT / Telecoms. Photography is something I absolutely love doing and at any given chance, I have a camera in my hand. For example, I had to drop my car off at a local garage an hour ago.. and I took my RX100 with me and took photos as I walked home. And now I'm typing this whilst sat on a conference call (I'm not involved in this part of the call).

2 hours ago, Matt Ashmore said:

I'll take that as a compliment! :D I would love to be a full-time photographer but I work in IT / Telecoms. Photography is something I absolutely love doing and at any given chance, I have a camera in my hand. For example, I had to drop my car off at a local garage an hour ago.. and I took my RX100 with me and took photos as I walked home. And now I'm typing this whilst sat on a conference call (I'm not involved in this part of the call).

The hardest part of being a full time pro is getting the work - it's a nightmare. I'm into my 6th year now and although I'm bringing in decent money, there's no way I could retire early.  At the rate I'm going I'll be working up until lunchtime on the day of my death!  The secret is to diversify - I do commercial, editorial, portraits, events and tuition, with editorial being my favourite, closely followed by events, as the mark up on my prints (I own an event printer) is insane!

I need to buy an RX100, there's times I don't want to carry my FX pro bodies and lenses all day, they become a pain!

As for typing whilst on a conference call - tsk, tsk, naughty boy! :P

Just so you know.  The news media here in the states is making a pretty bid deal out of the Royal Wedding.  I would imagine that would help boost sales and its a pretty big market to ignore.

13 hours ago, MandyD said:

meh, was there last year...and although I like the monarchy, I have no desire to see anything with Megan Markle in it or on it...

I am allowed to have an opinion even if it doesn't agree with yours.

31 minutes ago, MandyD said:

I am allowed to have an opinion even if it doesn't agree with yours.

Whilst whomever gave you the red was a little harsh, the thread was about photographing aspects of the wedding, not about opinions of Prince Henry's choice of spouse.

2 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Whilst whomever gave you the red was a little harsh, the thread was about photographing aspects of the wedding, not about opinions of Prince Henry's choice of spouse.

I shall await to see red arrows on everything not 100% on topic then. :mellow:

18 hours ago, Colblimp said:

Especially as some of the way is underwater.:lol:

Allan

16 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I'm only 7556 km as the Canada goose flies, so my bags are packed!

On second thought...

If you travel on a Canada goose I will report you to the RSPB, or what ever passes for that organisation in Canada.:D

Allan

21 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

If you travel on a Canada goose I will report you to the RSPB, or what ever passes for that organisation in Canada.:D

Allan

It's either that or travel by dogsled (pulled by a team of corgis of course).

2 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

It's either that or travel by dogsled (pulled by a team of corgis of course).

:lol:

Allan

I went up and down the Royal Mile in Edinburgh today in search of Royal Wedding tat.  Nothing to be found except the usual Tartan tat.  If you cant find it in Scotland's capital city's main tourist spot, then I don't think it is to be found. 

9 hours ago, Matt Ashmore said:

Careful what you wish for  :)   I did weddings, social, school and a few other bits and bobs for several years, really loved it at first but hated it towards the end. I switched to I.T. / Telecoms and much preferred that. I am finally enjoying photography again but I only shoot what I want ( with the odd stocks-ey or anorak shot when I feel like it )

Archived