Royal Wedding - worth the hassle?

I enjoyed the day as an event and am especially pleased with the shots I managed of the bride. I'd hope to see some PU and suchlike sales from those maybe at some point, but I think it ticked the leisure box over business, sadly for my bank account.

10 minutes ago, Avpics said:

I enjoyed the day as an event and am especially pleased with the shots I managed of the bride. I'd hope to see some PU and suchlike sales from those maybe at some point, but I think it ticked the leisure box over business, sadly for my bank account.

Yes, you have some good shots of the new Duchess of Sussex. How long did you have to camp out to get a position to be able to take such shots?

I grabbed the last fence space, or so it seemed, when I arrived at around 06:30. It totally changed my plans for the day which was going to be the querky people shots etc, but maybe these'll have more legs in the long term.

I'm not patient enough to stand around on Windsor Long Walk for 6 1/2 hours (I think it was about 12.30 - 1pm when they went on their carriage ride.. I was watching on TV before taking my children to play in the local park) , especially not when it's as hot as it was! I'm also not good at getting up early! Had I been in Windsor, I think I'd have done the quirky shots bit as a result!

You are probably right about the shots of Megan having more legs. There will be more opportunities for similar quirky shots at other events in the future.. but no more opportunities to catch Megan in her wedding dress. And these sorts of shots will be used as archive footage for decades to come.

5 minutes ago, Matt Ashmore said:

And these sorts of shots will be used as archive footage for decades to come.

Hopefully. That's why I don't understand some of the negative comments earlier in this topic. Once it's gone, it's gone. They don't come around very often

1 minute ago, Avpics said:

Hopefully. That's why I don't understand some of the negative comments earlier in this topic. Once it's gone, it's gone. They don't come around very often

I guess it comes down to how patient you are. Like I say, I don't have the patience or stamina that you obviously do!

But you also said yourself that this, "ticked the leisure box over business" and I guess comments earlier in the thread represent how closely individuals agreed with and anticipated this!

26 minutes ago, Avpics said:

Lots of media were running 'historic royal weddings' photo articles going back to the Queen Mum's at least.

12 minutes ago, Cryptoprocta said:

Lots of media were running 'historic royal weddings' photo articles going back to the Queen Mum's at least.

tons of those here as well. I think you made the right call for sure Avpics!

On 22/05/2018 at 17:23, geogphotos said:

MNPE3F.jpg

This one of mine was published in the Sun. A shame that they said it was in Sussex not Suffolk!

Looks like they chose the one with the pub name hidden. Fake news?

From what I see it looks like "The Queens Head" or something very similar.

Your local?

No I've never been there.

Allan

20 hours ago, Lisa said:

I made a blog entry with some of my photos of the Royal Wedding in Windsor in case anyone wants to see them.

http://lisawernerphotos.blogspot.com

Nice images. Snazzy.:)

Allan

I got some of fairy cakes with Union Flags on them and the like at the street party. Too busy drinking for live news but I'll get them up soon. Might come in handy over the years- the Americans lap up that sort of thing.

Fascinating to find out who lives down your own street.

On 22/05/2018 at 16:21, Avpics said:

I guess it depends on your perspective.  If you come at this from a business perspective attendance made little sense.  The vast majority of photographers stood around for several hours to get shots.  The cost of getting into the press pen was around £900 (£750 plus VAT).  Not to mention the fares, food etc.  Thousands of images were taken so the chance of sales, even over the long term, are slim and would need to create considerable revenue to cover the hours spent.  

If you were going to enjoy the event that is great, but it is not really a commercial occasion.  I do know one photographer who sold photos and had no costs.   He lives on the route and just leaned out of his bedroom window....

I may be wrong on this, being a newcomer to Alamy and all, but:

Are live news sales on events like this really all that common via Alamy? News does sell, as some are undoubtedly testament to, but when I see uses it's usually to do with either the weather, photo of the day type stuff, or other almost "editorial stock" type photos from that day.

My hunch, and it's just a hunch, is that news sells from Alamy only when other agencies don't have it. If the 4 big agencies for news in the UK are covering an event, I'm not sure any photo editors and journalists will ever take images from Alamy before them. So for an event like the royal wedding, while stock use (people, items, etc) might be high, was anyone really looking to Alamy as their go-to for an image of the bride on the day? (All of the big picture editors, for a start, knew that one agency was given all of the best spots in a blanket agreement, and so would possibly look at their submissions first.) Long term use of images in stock may well be very, very good, but I wouldn't have went on the day with any expectation of immediate sales, too many people from the main news agencies were present.

I can honestly say, living in Twickenham not far from the train to Windsor, that we were unaffected and focus was much more on the FA Cup final. A far more interesting event! I had long got past the point when I just wished the wedding was over and they move onto the traditionally quick first child so I get a few months "royal news break". After all ,there is a world cup on!

Archived