Google maps and location inputs

hello,

Just wanted to get a few tips on putting locations into/on images from other members.

When key wording do others put in "England" "Wales" "Warwickshire" "Somerset" etc or just the street, town then UK in the location address?

As I type in the address, Google maps sometimes finds the right place, sometimes it doesn't!

If I type in a company name it can default to another location the other side of the country!!  Does anyone have a "best" or preferred way of putting in the exact location and Google finding it, or, is it just a bit hit and miss if Google finds the wrong place and best to carry on with what you believe to be the exact address?

Or do people just enlarge the Google map and drop in a pin and fingers crossed someone searching for a location nearby will find it?

Or, maybe I'm becoming just a little obsessive about key wording and location tags, haha.

Thanks to anyone that replies, Dave.

Dave, I put New York City, NYC, USA, US, America, United States and so on in the tags. For tabletop food, I put studio or tabletop in location, unless it's shot in a restaurant and is a signature dish. 

Edo

Thanks for your replies spacecadet and Ed,

I didn't realise location wasn't searchable!! what a numpty, how did I not know that.... maybe because there is actually quite a lot more to key wording than I actually understand.

so, for some images like travel or foreign countries I have not included the place or country in the tags thinking the location would automatically find it, how frustrating, arrgh, time to re-visit those images.

thanks again, Dave.

Although location isn't searchable today, I wonder why Alamy introduced the Google maps hook-up?

How long it might be before Alamy add the ability for customers to use location/Geotag or even post codes in their searches?

Mark

Yes, if the location is important to the image and likely to make the image more sale-able then the location needs to be in the tags and/or caption. 

56 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

Although location isn't searchable today, I wonder why Alamy introduced the Google maps hook-up?

How long it might be before Alamy add the ability for customers to use location/Geotag or even post codes in their searches?

Mark

I tend to agree which is why I tend to fill out all of the optional stuff where possible. Just because a field isn't used today in any useful way, doesn't meant that it won't suddenly be super-important tomorrow. For the sake of a few minutes extra when I keyword a batch of images today, I think it worth doing as it might save me having to go back and revisit my entire portfolio to fill in these fields retrospectively tomorrow if some of these fields do become more important.

3 hours ago, Dave Warren said:

Thanks for your replies spacecadet and Ed,

I didn't realise location wasn't searchable!! what a numpty, how did I not know that.... maybe because there is actually quite a lot more to key wording than I actually understand.

so, for some images like travel or foreign countries I have not included the place or country in the tags thinking the location would automatically find it, how frustrating, arrgh, time to re-visit those images.

thanks again, Dave.

Dave, when you're looking for Alamy information on a subject, it can be helpful to do a search here in the forum. Regarding tagging and doing things over, stock can be labor intensive.

On 3/18/2018 at 08:42, JeffGreenberg said:

> location isn't searchable

Aren't there exceptions???

About 4 months ago, or so, I emailed CR to ask this very question.  They stated the location information under the "Optional" tab was not searchable.  I was asking because at the top of the search results page the customer can further refine their search under the "Location" tab.  I was finding that many of my images were not showing up in the search when "USA" was checked off.

I was told that location information was taken from the caption, tags, and super tags, not from the "Optional" tab location information.  They said it is treated like the "Additional Information" field; non-searchable.

Hope this helps.

Rick

I always have complete location in the tags. Three in the caption, as in “Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA”. Tags I take it further with are those above, and US, U.S., U.S.A., United States, North America.

Betty

I always add a location in tags as well as on the Google map. In recent times i have taken to using the "search and drop pin" method as some of my locations have been very small, take Way Way, NSW, Australia for instance. not a lot of people there. I understand that this map is not searchable but i cant see that i would take much for Alamy to switch this option on for buyers.

I always fill this in. Probably just because I am obsessive about details. But it is pretty annoying that the Google map locations don’t by default include Scotland, eg when I type Edinburgh, it just comes up with United Kingdom. Scotland is a country, after all. So I have to type it in manually.

Hang on, I've had it in the past that some of my images showed up with keywords that I hadn't put in. Turns out, I had put the wrong place into the location field and the search engine must have got it from there. 

6 hours ago, vpics said:

Hang on, I've had it in the past that some of my images showed up with keywords that I hadn't put in. Turns out, I had put the wrong place into the location field and the search engine must have got it from there. 

Location field used to be searchable but it is a few years since Alamy announced they were disabling it because too many images of headshots and studio shots etc were being returned for location searches.

Pearl

Archived