A serious glitch for travel photography??

If this goes through it would restrict travel photographers in a big way. My local international airport has already banned DSLR cameras from hand  luggage so where do you go from here?

https://petapixel.com/2017/10/20/us-urging-airlines-ban-cameras-checked-bags/

Simple, take the batteries out. As long as you're under the carry-on limit.

I don't know what your airport is playing at but CAA restrictions don't forbid DSLRs- I travelled with one yesterday.

https://www.caa.co.uk/Passengers/Before-you-fly/Baggage/What-items-can-I-travel-with/

https://www.caa.co.uk/Passengers/Before-you-fly/Baggage/Items-that-are-allowed-in-baggage/#4294967551-accordioncollapse-4

It's already difficult with the carry-on size restrictions that are being enforced these days. I am lucky in that I don't have a huge amount of equipment but I am currently looking for a spinner carry-on for my backpack that is the 22x14x9 size required by United Airlines. I have a very wonderful one that I have used on international flights with the long, long walks in the airports but it was taken away from me when I was coming back from India. It has a metal frame and can carry other things on top as well as providing a seat. Alas, I cannot use it anymore even though it fits nicely in the overhead bins on large airplanes. I'd be happy to pay extra for the privilege but that isn't possible either. You'd think they'd take advantage of another opportunity to get more money from us. I have thought they should let us check bags for free and then charge for the carry-ons. I guess that makes too much sense.

Paulette

1 hour ago, Davey Towers said:

If this goes through it would restrict travel photographers in a big way. My local international airport has already banned DSLR cameras from hand  luggage so where do you go from here?

Davy - I'm presuming you are talking about Newcastle airport. Can you give a link to the info on that ban. I wasn't aware of any such ban from UK airports, only on flights inward from certain Muslim-majority countries.

Not long back from a tour of Aus, Tasmania and NZ so we took a lot of flights and the camera was in my carry on luggage all the time and I never got asked about it once.

Mind, my umbrella was searched twice and I got dizzy trying to work out if my iPad should be in our out of the bag. There is just no consistency anywhere - it is ridiculous.

In NZ I was asked to take off a titanium bracelet which had been through dozens of scanners. Next flight into Cairns I took off all things I thought may offend and was told to put them back on as they didn't need to be removed :huh:

The banning of cameras in aircraft baggage holds is probably inevitable. I don't think that this would present a serious glitch. The secret is to travel light, which is much easier to do with today's smaller cameras, especially mirrorless systems. You don't really need  a lot of equipment for most "travel" photography. I carry only a small camera bag onto aircraft. Wouldn't dream of checking it anyway.

I have serious issues with travelling without luggage when I want to take my tripod as a carry-on (some airliners allow it but most don't).

It's understandable but really frustrating.

Best to travel light with mirrorless and small lens not to cause a fuss in these weird times. 

26 minutes ago, Brasilnut said:

I have serious issues with travelling without luggage when I want to take my tripod as a carry-on (some airliners allow it but most don't).

It's understandable but really frustrating.

Best to travel light with mirrorless and small lens not to cause a fuss in these weird times. 

I agree. Today's mirrorless systems are a real boon for travel. You only need lightweight tripods with these small cameras as well. I pop an inexpensive one in my checked suitcase. It hasn't been stolen yet (touch wood), but that's always a possibility of course.

BTW, things promise to keep getting weirder and weirder. The ultimate solution might be just to stay home.  I do a lot more of that these days.

This whole Lithium battery thing is going to run and run. Dreamliners have had problems with their batteries, laptops have burst into flames, some smartphones self-combust. I can't really blame the airlines and airports for getting anxious. And as ever, their solutions will be a little inconsistent. So yeh, travel light. My little Pentax K5 is a DSLR but it doesn't weigh a lot. I carry hardly any toiletries (buy little supplies on the trip and leave them behind, many hotels provide them anyway) and only take the shoes or sandals actually on my feet. I used to buy a pair of espadrilles and leave them behind but they are no longer at throw-away prices. Shame! Long time ago I had a nifty little knife with which I carved many a salami with my picnics on my trips, but of course, that stopped. I cant get my wife to embrace any of these travel strategies.

t was concluded that if a [portable electronic device] is packed in a suitcase with an aerosol can and a thermal runaway event occurs, there is the potential for an aerosol can explosion,” Batteries packed with other permitted items such as rubbing alcohol, hand sanitizer, and nail polish remover also caused large fires.

I understand the concern but wouldn't it be a better idea to ban aerosol cans, rubbing alcohol, hand sanitizer and nail polish remover from checked luggage?  I didn't realize aerosol cans were allowed, I thought the pressure changes would affect them.

Thanks for the interesting replies.

Spacecadet, It did cross my mind to remove  the battery then buy a new one while away, but then I would have to prove there were no batteries in my luggage i would presume.

MDM, Yes, I was in Newcastle airport 3 weeks ago and in the security area at departures there were lots of red signs posted saying no electronic items bigger than a smartphone allowed in hand luggage. Bit of a nuisance when you've already checked your luggage in! I'm not sure as to how strict they are on enforcing these rules as I didn't have my DSLR with me, but they allowed my friend to take her Ipad on board!!

Davey

Years ago I joked that the time will come where nobody will be allowed anything on board of a plane. 

That would include any clothes worn, as one my conceal dangerous items in them. 

On a positive effect, this would get rid of the airport security check - apart from an occasional bend over .... 

Nowadays I see that  joke slowly become reality :wacko:

Btw: I really liked that flying bicycle that John has posted. This would open so many additional photo opportunities!

1 hour ago, Davey Towers said:

Spacecadet, It did cross my mind to remove  the battery then buy a new one while away, but then I would have to prove there were no batteries in my luggage i would presume.

MDM, Yes, I was in Newcastle airport 3 weeks ago and in the security area at departures there were lots of red signs posted saying no electronic items bigger than a smartphone allowed in hand luggage. Bit of a nuisance when you've already checked your luggage in! I'm not sure as to how strict they are on enforcing these rules as I didn't have my DSLR with me, but they allowed my friend to take her Ipad on board!!

Davey

That is very worrying. There is nothing at all on the Newcastle airport website about such restrictions. Nor has the general advice on the UK government website changed. It would be totally chaotic as anybody with a laptop or camera would not be able to travel if they were flying without hold baggage or had already checked it in. I often fly without hold baggage and usually have a laptop and a couple of DSLRs so would have no option but not to travel if I couldn't bring my gear on board. I would not put it in the hold in any case (literally).

I recently had my camera taken to one side by security at an airport here in England. I expected the usual questions about battery etc. Instead, the security official gave me reasons why his Nikon Somethingorother was better than my 5D Mk III.

Once I had mopped up the blood from biting my lip so hard, we exchanged nods and smiles before I went on my merry way. Oh how we laughed.

In about 30% of the cases I get my cameras and lenses swiped with that little white cloth and checked for explosives. 

I never had someone arguing over my kit though - but understand that biting lips is the best one can do in that case.

Air traveler's rule book:

1) never argue with border patrol

2) never argue with security personnel

3) when in doubt, revert to 1) or 2) whichever is appropriate 

4) Never mention the b-word when on airports or in border check

5 hours ago, Rob C said:

I recently had my camera taken to one side by security at an airport here in England. I expected the usual questions about battery etc. Instead, the security official gave me reasons why his Nikon Somethingorother was better than my 5D Mk III.

Once I had mopped up the blood from biting my lip so hard, we exchanged nods and smiles before I went on my merry way. Oh how we laughed.

1 hour ago, hdh said:

In about 30% of the cases I get my cameras and lenses swiped with that little white cloth and checked for explosives. 

I never had someone arguing over my kit though - but understand that biting lips is the best one can do in that case.

Air traveler's rule book:

1) never argue with border patrol

2) never argue with security personnel

3) when in doubt, revert to 1) or 2) whichever is appropriate 

4) Never mention the b-word when on airports or in border check

You can get away with anything when you look the spittin image of Father Dougal.

This is worrying.

Because of restrictions on hand luggage, I often used to put my backup long telephoto in my hold baggage. As hand baggage restrictions eased a bit, I was lucky to be able to fit both long telezooms into my hand luggage on my last big trip. In fact, the only thing I couldn't fit in was a point-and-shoot. That was removed from my main hold luggage somewhere between Glasgow and Windhoek, almost certainly in Jo'burg which has a bad reputation for that. Interestingly, my band around the suitcase hadn't been removed, the number I'd switched my security code was as I'd set it, and they even returned the empty camera case to my suitcase.

I'd hate to have booked a trip then find I wasn't allowed to carry my gear in hand luggage (I realise the OP is about hold luggage, but am noticing Davey's post). I wouldn't want my camera gear in hold luggage, and I bet insurance wouldn't cover a cancellation for the reason that the rules had changed after I booked.

8 hours ago, Davey Towers said:

Davey

Batteries may not be allowed in the hold, but they are in the cabin.

The camera confusion lasted a short while when we were dancing to America's tune until they realised how daft it was.

Quite simply, cameras with a battery inside are NOT forbidden in hand luggage. They're not reckoned as "electronic items" in that way. The point about a phone, tablet etc. is that you can unclip the case and conceal naughty things inside. You can hardly do that to a camera.

8 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Batteries may not be allowed in the hold, but they are in the cabin.

The camera confusion lasted a short while when we were dancing to America's tune until they realised how daft it was.

Quite simply, cameras with a battery inside are NOT forbidden in hand luggage. They're not reckoned as "electronic items" in that way. The point about a phone, tablet etc. is that you can unclip the case and conceal naughty things inside. You can hardly do that to a camera.

You can take the lens off....

I'm wondering if the signs that Davy is talking about referred to removal of electronic items from hand luggage while going through security rather than getting on the plane. If cameras and laptops etc were not allowed in hand baggage without long term notice, it would cause absolute chaos and would conflict with the UK government advice. Also his friend was allowed to take her iPad on board afterwards - I don't think airport security responds to an ahh gwan attitude (to continue with the Father Ted theme)

I returned from Egypt to the UK a couple of weeks ago, and had to cope with the new restrictions.  My husband and I put our iPads into our hold luggage.  I bought a camera body cover and a hard shell to put my mirrorless camera in, and wrapped it up into my hold luggage.  I kept all of my lenses in my carry on baggage.  The security person who looked in my bag asked where my camera was; I didn't dare try to ask whether, if I had had it,  it would have been allowed through. Possibly, without the battery. For some reason, the first (of 3 screenings of our luggage) resulted in a pair of binoculars being the only problem - which needed to go in hold luggage.  I cannot fathom why. This was also true for a flight between Jordan and Egypt.

A professional photographer in the queue ahead of us with a wheeled hard camera suitcase, was about to have his external hard drive confiscated, with all of his photographs on it.  He went away - presumably to arrange to have it shipped separately - as he returned later apparently without it and not looking too upset.

All was well with my stuff, despite two connecting flights, though unfortunately my husband's iPad now has a long crack across the screen. I fear that it is inevitable that nothing electronic will be allowed in hand luggage eventually. 

28 minutes ago, Sally said:

I returned from Egypt to the UK a couple of weeks ago, and had to cope with the new restrictions.  My husband and I put our iPads into our hold luggage.  I bought a camera body cover and a hard shell to put my mirrorless camera in, and wrapped it up into my hold luggage.  I kept all of my lenses in my carry on baggage.  The security person who looked in my bag asked where my camera was; I didn't dare try to ask whether, if I had had it,  it would have been allowed through. Possibly, without the battery. For some reason, the first (of 3 screenings of our luggage) resulted in a pair of binoculars being the only problem - which needed to go in hold luggage.  I cannot fathom why. This was also true for a flight between Jordan and Egypt.

A professional photographer in the queue ahead of us with a wheeled hard camera suitcase, was about to have his external hard drive confiscated, with all of his photographs on it.  He went away - presumably to arrange to have it shipped separately - as he returned later apparently without it and not looking too upset.

All was well with my stuff, despite two connecting flights, though unfortunately my husband's iPad now has a long crack across the screen. I fear that it is inevitable that nothing electronic will be allowed in hand luggage eventually. 

The strict regulations are only supposed to apply to flights to the UK from Egypt, Syria, Jordan, Lebanon and Saudi Arabiahttps://www.gov.uk/hand-luggage-restrictions/electronic-devices-and-electrical-items

According to the UK gov site, the restrictions are not supposed to apply to cameras. The guidance specifically says that "you can usually take cameras in your hand or hold luggage". This is different to the US guidance of course and it will probably depend on the foreign airport where you are boarding.

However, none of this is supposed to apply to flights from the UK which is why Davy's post is a bit of a mystery to me.

11 minutes ago, MDM said:

The strict regulations are only supposed to apply to flights to the UK from Egypt, Syria, Jordan, Lebanon and Saudi Arabiahttps://www.gov.uk/hand-luggage-restrictions/electronic-devices-and-electrical-items

According to the UK gov site, the restrictions are not supposed to apply to cameras. The guidance specifically says that "you can usually take cameras in your hand or hold luggage". This is different to the US guidance of course and it will probably depend on the foreign airport where you are boarding.

However, none of this is supposed to apply to flights from the UK which is why Davy's post is a bit of a mystery to me.

Yes, I am aware that these restrictions - at the moment - only apply to journeys from certain Middle East countries to the UK, however my point was that I think it may not be very long before they apply to all flights.

The FCO advice doesn't actually say, or at least it didn't when I checked before travel, that the restrictions don't apply to cameras. It says that cameras are "usually allowed" which is no help at all. And our travel agent reported that some customers had had difficult getting their cameras into hold luggage. So it's not consistent and I wasn't going to take a chance. The whole thing is going to be a big nuisance for travelers.

Archived