A serious glitch for travel photography??

I'll be taking an Air India flight in a couple of days - internal in India - their on line check-in says no lithium batteries in either hand or hold luggage though delving a little deeper on website it says that loose batteries can't be taken in cabin and must go in hold luggage.

Don't want to lose my spare batteries, any body any experience / recommendations ?

Also for the Oman Air flight to Delhi - hand or hold for spare batteries ?

Thanks

Geoff

I wasn't asked about batteries in flights in India last April but be prepared to take every piece of camera equipment out of your bags during the security check. Of course, the batteries that are not in the camera should have the little plastic covers on the contacts.

Paulette

52 minutes ago, NYCat said:

I wasn't asked about batteries in flights in India last April but be prepared to take every piece of camera equipment out of your bags during the security check. Of course, the batteries that are not in the camera should have the little plastic covers on the contacts.

Paulette

little plastic covers ? I'm not that organised I'm afraid, but maybe I should gaffer tape them as an alternative ?

And did you have all your batteries in your hand luggage Paulette ?

Geoff

2 hours ago, geoff s said:

little plastic covers ? I'm not that organised I'm afraid, but maybe I should gaffer tape them as an alternative ?

And did you have all your batteries in your hand luggage Paulette ?

Geoff

Hmmmm. I know that the point is to keep those contacts from being struck in some way that makes the battery dangerous. I'd suggest using Google to investigate. Perhaps the TSA website would have instructions. Personally I would be afraid that tape could leave adhesive on them. Maybe even small plastic bags would work. Anyone else have ideas? I did carry the batteries in my carry-on because I believe the TSA says do NOT have them in checked luggage. I think the idea is that if they start a fire it can be seen and controlled in the cabin.

Paulette

Edit: I found this...".Battery terminals (usually the ends) must be protected from short circuit (i.e., the terminals must not come in contact with other metal). Methods include: leaving the batteries in their retail packaging, covering battery terminals with tape, using a battery case, using a battery sleeve in a camera bag, or putting them snugly in a plastic bag or protective pouch."

And they say that if your carry-on bag is being checked at the gate you must remove the batteries and carry them with you into the cabin. 

Archived