Save the Nik Collection

For those of you, like me, who use and value the Nik collection, it is now under threat of being made unavailable. There is a petition to try and save it found here:

https://www.change.org/p/google-inc-save-the-nik-collection?recruiter=16417986&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=autopublish&utm_term=des-lg-share_petition-no_msg

Worth signing I think

Kumar (the Doc one)

I just love it, I use it all the time. I hope it stays. Thanks for the news Kumar.

Petition signed.

Gen

Me too.

Phil Crean drew my attention to it via FB so its thanks to him!

kumar

Thanks for this, Kumar. I signed. I have also downloaded On1 Effects 10.5 and haven't had time to explore it yet but it looks like it does much the same things as Color Efex Pro.

Paulette

Thanks for the tip, Doc and Phil.

If I already have these tools on Photoshop, which I do, are they planning on spiriting them away from me somehow?

It was a disappointment when I found that the Nik Collection on PS did not include the Color Control Point tool, something I use all the time on tiffs in the middle of my PP. That U-Point tool seems to have wandered off into the wilderness. 

Edo

Ed, from what I have read about it we will lose the NIK software as the OS on our Macs changes. So maybe if we just don't upgrade we will be OK. My aging laptop can't go any further anyway.

Paulette

Oh no! My go to solution - so quick and easy for stock - and invaluable if I'm working on my fine art work. Worth having bought the bundle years ago before google gave them away - which made me nervous this day would come.

Had this piece printed 2 feet x 3 feet on aluminum for a show that opened last night and it was a show-stopper. Not suitable for Alamy so here's my Photoshelter link.

Without a mix of the Nik filters I'd have never gotten these effects. 

And Silver effex pro is my go-to for black and whites which made up much of the show as well all of those in a gallery show in April and May. 

Petition signed! Thanks for the head's up. Is there any kind of program similar to Silver Effex out there? 

It'd be interesting to see if Nik do a buy back or maybe Nikon who used the platform for there NX2 Capture software could be interested. But would I not be correct in saying Topaz Labs have similar software although it far from being free?

Ed, from what I have read about it we will lose the NIK software as the OS on our Macs changes. So maybe if we just don't upgrade we will be OK. My aging laptop can't go any further anyway.

Paulette

I think thats right - I certainly had to download it again when I got a new PC a couple of years ago

Kumar (the Doc one)

It'd be interesting to see if Nik do a buy back or maybe Nikon who used the platform for there NX2 Capture software could be interested. But would I not be correct in saying Topaz Labs have similar software although it far from being free?

A few things are similar, but most are not. I've gone to Topaz first before, didn't get the effect I preferred. Closed out and happy used Nik.

Nik 80%

Topaz 20%

Betty

A few things are similar, but most are not. I've gone to Topaz first before, didn't get the effect I preferred. Closed out and happy used Nik.

Nik 80%

Topaz 20%

Betty

Thanks for that info Betty. 

Archived