Do you use a POD site?

IanGibson

Only good news if it's as high a price as I get on my other POD outlets where I sell 'arty' images, but not much good if it's 50% of $10.00

^^ perhaps being a little more positive might help?

My opinion.

Alamy say if you have PU restricted then you cannot sell a print through Alamy's cohort (Art.com).

Which means if you want to take advantage of the print service you have to allow PU also.

Does not make sense as I would accept licensing images for print sales only through Alamy/Art.com but not for others to download high res images for their own use.

Would this not be possible in the Alamy scheme of things?

Allan

Only good news if it's as high a price as I get on my other POD outlets where I sell 'arty' images, but not much good if it's 50% of $10.00

I recently had a POD sale for £80, followed by a PU sale from Alamy of almost the same image for less than £4 net.

I am waiting for the POD one to request a refund as they scoot off to the local supermarket print shop with my Hi Res Alamy PU file.

Would being little more positive in my post help me or you?

Your own response to the OP "Sounds good" is hardly the pinnacle of positivity!

I agree with mickfly. I think we will have to wait and see what Alamy intend. If they are still offering Personal Use licences for a pittance and it is necessary to opt back into that to sell prints, then there would not seem to be much cause for optimism. 

Using third party fulfillment, like some of us do on PhotoShelter, would be an improvement over the current method where, apparently, Personal Use clients download high res files.

The downside is, you still don't know how the end client will use the image. I've provided clients with prints for personal use, large displays, and magazine covers. I hope they'll be priced accordingly.

It looks like art.com sells prints 30" x 32" for about $35.

I make more than that on a small print on most POD sites and split 3 ways it seems like our cut would be little more than the PU price for download now. Their prints appear to be posters, rather than actual fine art prints, but I'm still hoping the new tools let me bulk restrict the images that I sell as fine art. I understand that Alamy is looking to new markets so I can't criticize them for trying. 

Using third party fulfillment, like some of us do on PhotoShelter, would be an improvement over the current method where, apparently, Personal Use clients download high res files.

The downside is, you still don't know how the end client will use the image. I've provided clients with prints for personal use, large displays, and magazine covers. I hope they'll be priced accordingly.

The client will only receive the actual poster, not a HR file.

Cheers,

Philippe

Yes, but Alamy says that Personal use covers print sales, which could mean that the PU option won't disappear altogether -- i.e. customers might still be able to download HR files and make their own prints if they prefer.

The Ansel Adams images are posters. This one by Henri Cartier Bresson indicates it's printed on "medium weight cover stock." This one, by an unnamed photographer is described as printed on archival photographic paper. This Robert Henri photo is described as a giclee print, for about the same amount it would cost me locally to have a print made.

I have a couple of questions to ALAMY.

For wall art printing purposes I upload specially prepared photos to POD sites, i.e. photos with high level or processing, overprocessed photos as Alamy call them. I also convert some photos into digital oil or watercolor paintings. I can add a text to a photo to make a poster.

Alamy have a procedure for archival photos, where a photo can be of a poor technical quality but of a great historic value. Artistic photos can be considered overprocessed, wrongly processed, but they are artistic photos to be printed and hang on a wall for personal purposes not to be used for stock, advertising or editorial purposes.

Would it be possible to upload photos, which have so called "artistic look" to Alamy or not?

Could Alamy make a special acceptance procedure for such photos?

Answer, please, Alamy.

Great idea!

So, if I understood correctly. This new "Order print" license will replace the much discussed PU license........?  ^_^ 

B.t.w. here's my latest PU sale  :rolleyes: 

red-fox-vulpes-vulpes-urinating-in-the-s

Now, if Alamy could also make sure that "Presentation" and "Website" licenses are only downloadable as LR files and NOT as HR, I'd be a happy bunny  ;)

Cheers,

Philippe

It will look lovely on someone's sitting room wall Philippe...

It wasn't PU but I did license this one.

osprey-pandion-haliaetus-everglades-flor

Sorry for the hijack.

I've had a half hearted attempt at POD, but not properly engaged with it. In practical terms, this is probably good news for me, but I can see why those folk who have put substantial effort into POD would not be overjoyed. The market is continually changing and Alamy needs to evolve to continue to prosper. I'd put effort into newspaper secondary editorial, but the apparent cut back by the DM is a threat. I perhaps need a new direction and this may be it.

That's great that Alamy is trying to improve their offer! I appreciate that they're searching for new ways of income.

At least, it's great for those who don't have their work on POD sites already. Why?

"

• As with regular sales you’ll receive 50% of what we receive"

Remember that Alamy is just the medium between artist and Art.com and that means that you will NOT get the 50% of the sale but 50% of Alamy's %. What share will Alamy get? If it's 30% (as I've found on the internet) then you'll get 15%, correct?  :mellow: If a print costs $100, you'll see $15?

Also Art.com has rather cheap prints. Would be great to see what $ Alamy will set up for them as the agency partner. If it's lower than we have set up on the POD sites where we already sell, then it makes no sense to undercut ourselves (pricing competition), right? 

There's more - on Art.com site we can see huge discounts all the time... That's quite worrying for the sellers - it's cheap already, even cheaper then...

Waiting to see more details, maybe some great news finally! :)

Alamy, could you give us more detailed info, please?

Archived