As far as I know Alamy has Stockimo only for iPhone users and not android, correct?

Alamy also is a distributor for Eyeem images, which often are made with android, correct?

So, Alamy prefers me to join the competitor more than support Alamy directly, correct?

I'm starting the game with smartphone photos and it's not iPhone, so I wonder which place to consider...  -_-

http://discussion.alamy.com/index.php?/topic/3358-stockimo/

And about uploading Android images via iPad etc.:

http://discussion.alamy.com/index.php?/topic/3022-android-to-ipod-to-stockimo/

http://discussion.alamy.com/index.php?/topic/2130-ipad-application-for-newsworthy-images/?hl=%2Bstockimo+%2Bupload#entry37851

Though having an iPhone 6 I don't desire to take part in this business, however,unless we are talking news images and my iPhone is the only available camera. I am registered from start with Stockimo.

iPhones are overrated, too expensive, and you don't own YOUR phone, but are at great costs and inconvenience allowed to use Apple's for a while. You cannot even change the battery yourself.

Thanks for your comments and links! :)

Lately my friend said she hates her new iPhone, and she's going to buy android asap. She also made my decision... In general around 50% of iPhone owners (of my friends) say that they regret the money spent on it as it's not worth it. Yes, iPhone is way to expensive with no doubts.

It would be nice to see Alamy changed their mind about android ;)

You cannot even change the battery yourself.

I've changed the battery on an iPhone 4s before now.. wouldn't know about an iPhone 6 but I wouldn't have thought it's too different.

But yes, I think Apple charge a premium for the brand and an Android phone with the same or better capabilities would be cheaper.

It would be nice to know why someone disagrees with me in the first post here (red minus) :) Is any of my Qs not correct (which one and why?) or is it bad that I start the game with smartphone photos? ;)

Just curious.

I agree with what you have said. What I'm going to say next won't make me popular. From what I can see it is about maximizing revenues for the select. if you choose not to be a sheep you are discriminated against. All apps take time to develop no matter what plate form they are to be used with. It is strange that the more expensive of the two has been chosen. What you have to remember is that Alamy works in it's own best interests even though it is it's contributors that make it successful.   

AFAIK the main reason Stockimo is iPhone only at the moment is that it is much less time consuming, and so cheaper, to develop apps for the iPhone platform. The main reason being that there only a few different devices to to develop for. There are several dozen different Android phones out there with differing screen sizes and technical configurations so developing an app for all of them is problematic.

I agree with what you have said. What I'm going to say next won't make me popular. From what I can see it is about maximizing revenues for the select. if you choose not to be a sheep you are discriminated against. All apps take time to develop no matter what plate form they are to be used with. It is strange that the more expensive of the two has been chosen. What you have to remember is that Alamy works in it's own best interests even though it is it's contributors that make it successful.   

More Alamy photographers use iPhone than Android. We analyse what phones people use to open our mailouts and iPhone comes out the winner out of 150,000+ registered Alamy contributors.

This, coupled with the easier development process lead us to go with iPhone first. Android is still in our future plans but we want to get the iPhone app fully developed first.

Also, we posted this last year but Flickr released some interesting stats in 2015 suggesting that Apple devices for photography are even more popular than Nikon. Given that 10 billion images were uploaded to Flickr last year from 100 million users, this is significant.

They also posted some stats specifically about mobile phone usage across flickr:

Screen-Shot-2015-01-09-at-4.48.26-PM.png

This suggests that amongst photographers at least, iPhone is more popular. You can read more analysis here: http://tnw.co/1BZLyva

We hope this goes some way to help explain why iOS is the current priority for us. We're really excited about being able to offer Android in the future, it's definitely something we also want.

Cheers

Alamy

AFAIK the main reason Stockimo is iPhone only at the moment is that it is much less time consuming, and so cheaper, to develop apps for the iPhone platform. The main reason being that there only a few different devices to to develop for. There are several dozen different Android phones out there with differing screen sizes and technical configurations so developing an app for all of them is problematic.

I have read similar before, but the fact is that there are many thousands of apps for Android devices, both phones and tablets, that work absolutely fine and are created by both professionals with lots of money, and school kids with none, all who manage to do it successfully. So I think it is a bit of a weak reason if that's the only one Alamy have.

Geoff.

I don't know if it's the only one they have. But I have heard it from other developers as well. I guess that there is a reputational risk if they develop a program which fails to work effectively on a customers device.

As it is more expensive to develop an Android app I guess we must assume that Alamy have decided against making that investment. Perhaps they are not making enough money from Stockimo to warrant spending more on an Android version. Or maybe they just couldn't get one to work well enough.

Many thanks for the reply Alamy. Might I suggest that the reason more photographers use the iphone is because the iphone has the Stockimo app? Also some will buy an older iphone simply for using for Stockimo - I would myself if I could afford to.

It's at least nice to hear that you still have Android in your future plans.

Geoff.

Last post from us on this.

This analysis was initially done before we developed the app to help inform our decision of which platform to design for so your suggestion would not be correct.

The simple fact is, the iPhone camera is one of the most popular cameras in the world. As mentioned, the data from Flickr suggests it's even more popular than Nikon brands. 

Would we like an Android version of Stockimo? Yes - but we have to prioritise resources accordingly. When we're fully happy with Stockimo on iOS, the plan is to also offer on Android.

Cheers

Alamy

Many thanks for the reply Alamy. Might I suggest that the reason more photographers use the iphone is because the iphone has the Stockimo app? Also some will buy an older iphone simply for using for Stockimo - I would myself if I could afford to.

Geoff.

I would venture to guess that Alamy/Stockimo contributors are a very small percent of Flicker contributors, so Alamy' s figures are valid.

I you want to enter a bassett hound dog race, but have a wolfhound, then you must get a Bassett hound. The way of the world. Instead of railing about it some more when I had my droid, I had to decide if I wanted to continue uploading pictures from it the convoluted way I did through my iPad or go back to an Apple phone.

I'd had an Apple before but the G2's 13mp file size enticed me. The 6s now has 12, so Apple put a dog in the race and I got one. So very much easier, and my 6s stacks up favorably to Droid. I bought an app called ProCamera to use on it and I like it.

Geoff.

<snip>. . . I would venture to guess that Alamy/Stockimo contributors are a very small percent of Flicker contributors, so Alamy' s figures are valid . . . <snip>

I think you can very safely do more than venture a guess on that one Betty . . . as a famous race-caller of days gone by used to say, that'd be London to a brick on :)

dd

Geoff.

<snip>. . . I would venture to guess that Alamy/Stockimo contributors are a very small percent of Flicker contributors, so Alamy' s figures are valid . . . <snip>

I think you can very safely do more than venture a guess on that one Betty . . . as a famous race-caller of days gone by used to say, that'd be London to a brick on :)

dd

Ouch, you snipped my finger. ;)

I went Apple last year, after several years on Android.  At first I loved Android, but for the last couple of years I hardly used my phone for any of the reasons that I'd bought a smartphone in the first place. Reason?  Too many apps that wanted access /  control in the system area.  Pop-ups.  Adverts.  The disturbing feeling that I couldn't trust the phone / apps and that my phone wasn't really secure. Having google grab all my contacts every few months was more than irritating, it was worrying. 

I am a fairly long time critic of Apple, even though I have had their gear too. The main reason I now have an iphone is that Apple check every app that is developed for the iphone or ipad.  All apps are scrutinised to make sure that they are not sending your bank details to Hackerbstrd1@youshouldbemorecareful.com, or at least they were when friends were submitting apps to Apple. I don't think that Apple apps are any quicker to develop, they are just subject to Apple checking them over to make sure they work, they are secure and they are not going to break your phone. No one really does that with Android, as far as I know. 

Another reason was wanting to have a go at Stockimo.  However, there is no way that I would spend hundreds of pounds extra on a phone if the only reason was to use the stockimo app. I haven't actually made any money whatsoever from stockimo, but I enjoy doing it and uploading - it is all so easy and not the drudge that submitting to Alamy can be. The money is not irrelevant, however I have never owned a smartphone that cost me less than £500, so I don't really see the iphone as terribly expensive in comparison to what I've bought previously. They are ALL expensive brand new and if you want any decent amount of space on them, then the iphone is a shocker.  Having said that, after years of working in IT, I am committed to buying the best I can at the time in order to future proof as much as possible.  

And I LOVE my iphone.  I am happy that google can't have the level of access they had on my Android phones.  I'm still not an avid fan of Apple, but credit where it is due.... everything just works.  So, for me it is not simply a question of how good the iphone camera is - there are arguments that their camera is way behind others' efforts, but it is all about ease of use and peace of mind.  

For the OP - if your friend is going to buy an Android, you could do worse than buy her iphone from her on a second-hand, reduced price basis and see how you like it.

I'm not sure we need to confine iPhone use to professional photographers. There might be people who only joined Stockimo. I'm sure if you Google places that handle phone photography, there are several places. Some might contribute to Stockimo and several other places, yet not be called professional nor upload DSLR images the way we on the forum do.

I'm not sure how many contributors on Alamy can actually be called professional. Does that moniker require your making a living from it? I bought a Nikon camera and joined soon after. Far, far from professional. I sure don't make a living from it.

Yes, I'm splitting hairs, but I trust Alamy to be able to dig up the facts. After all, Alamy monitored usage here, too, and iPhone was the most used.

Whatever, the facts are Stockimo can be used by owners of all brands of phones, but you must have the Stockimo app for uploading on an apple device. Alany sets the rules, we don't.

When I go to someone's home, if they request I take off my shoes at the door, I take my shoes off, even if I have holes in my socks.

Geoff, all I am saying is that this is Alamy's game. They make the rules, we play by them or leave the game.

We can discuss, rail, gripe, disagree, but in the end all that does is allow us to vent our spleen. Alamy is very well aware there are people wanting the Android app.

I'd rather concentrate on griping about $1-5 sales! ;)

For the OP - if your friend is going to buy an Android, you could do worse than buy her iphone from her on a second-hand, reduced price basis and see how you like it.

I just picked up a secondhand iPhone 4s, in mint condition, for £75 from a reputable dealer. Works a treat and runs the latest iOS.

Although the latest Apple phones cost a lot, they soon drop in price when a new model comes out, and they are very durable compared to many of the competitors' offerings.

I agree with Betty. If you really want to participate in Stockimo and you either don't like or can't afford an iPhone, then pick up an iPod Touch. Better yet, buy a used iDevice  and use that to run the App. The cost really isn't that high when you consider how much most of us spend on photography.

This topic has been going on since Alamy launched Stockimo over two years ago. Complaining about it isn't going to make sales.

fD

I just picked up a secondhand iPhone 4s, in mint condition, for £75 from a reputable dealer. Works a treat and runs the latest iOS.

Although the latest Apple phones cost a lot, they soon drop in price when a new model comes out, and they are very durable compared to many of the competitors' offerings.

I have an old 3Gs which is the phone I used for most of my Stockimo photos. Apple released a system upgrade several years ago which allowed me to run an early version of the Stockimo App.

These are available on Amazon starting at $25. The challenge will be getting an early version of the app.

For anyone looking for a used iPhone I'd suggest a 4s or newer. The current version of Stockimo requires iOS 7.

fD

Yes you can pick them up quite cheaply if you shop around and you only want something to run the app, rathr than something all singing and dancing to the apple's latest greatest hits. If I'd even realised that I could use the fancy ipod touch that I have..... I didn't even give it a thought that I could use the ipod touch - I forgot it even had a camera! You can have too much in the way of gadgets!  

I can't bring myself to use an ipad to take photos in public, sorry.  Just no.

I would question the Flickr statists.  How many professional photographers put their images on Flickr?

I question much of what Alamy say about this. They seem to be justifying the past with irrelevant data from 2 and 3 years ago, rather than just being open and letting us know facts about getting an Android app. We don't want or need justification for their choices in the past.

How have we not been open?

Not sure how much more relevant we can make this, but here's a summary of what we have already taken the time to say in this thread:

- From our research, there are more photographers (both on Alamy, and the largest photo site in the world, Flickr) who use iPhone than Android. This is not 'irrelevant' data

- iPhone is a more stable and easier platform to develop for

- Android is still on our roadmap, but we are still developing the iPhone app, we don't want to split resources for Android right now

Alamy

Archived