I would question the Flickr statists.  How many professional photographers put their images on Flickr?

I question much of what Alamy say about this. They seem to be justifying the past with irrelevant data from 2 and 3 years ago, rather than just being open and letting us know facts about getting an Android app. We don't want or need justification for their choices in the past.

How have we not been open?

Not sure how much more relevant we can make this, but here's a summary of what we have already taken the time to say in this thread:

- From our research, there are more photographers (both on Alamy, and the largest photo site in the world, Flickr) who use iPhone than Android. This is not 'irrelevant' data

- iPhone is a more stable and easier platform to develop for

- Android is still on our roadmap, but we are still developing the iPhone app, we don't want to split resources for Android right now

Alamy

I don't dispute your second 2 points at all, but I still do not understand how current research (or even from 2 years ago) can show that the iPhone is more popular, other than it's what people use when availability of apps don't give an option. 

The iPhone was the most popular phone with Alamy users back before we started development on Stockimo and it still is today.

To offer weight to this, if you look at the current stats on Flickr, which is the most popular photo sharing site on the web, they look like this:

grab.jpg

So given that we only have a finite amount of resources available for a mobile platform, hopefully you can see why we would pick iOS over Android.

Does this mean that we will never have an Android app? No. It just means that given the current resources available to us, we simply have to develop for one platform and we have chosen the simplest and most popular platform for that.

We hope this clears up any confusion you have as to why this is currently an iOS app only. This is our final post on the matter.

Alamy

I would question the Flickr statists.  How many professional photographers put their images on Flickr?

I question much of what Alamy say about this. They seem to be justifying the past with irrelevant data from 2 and 3 years ago, rather than just being open and letting us know facts about getting an Android app. We don't want or need justification for their choices in the past.

How have we not been open?

Not sure how much more relevant we can make this, but here's a summary of what we have already taken the time to say in this thread:

- From our research, there are more photographers (both on Alamy, and the largest photo site in the world, Flickr) who use iPhone than Android. This is not 'irrelevant' data

- iPhone is a more stable and easier platform to develop for

- Android is still on our roadmap, but we are still developing the iPhone app, we don't want to split resources for Android right now

Alamy

I don't dispute your second 2 points at all, but I still do not understand how current research (or even from 2 years ago) can show that the iPhone is more popular, other than it's what people use when availability of apps don't give an option. 

The iPhone was the most popular phone with Alamy users back before we started development on Stockimo and it still is today.

To offer weight to this, if you look at the current stats on Flickr, which is the most popular photo sharing site on the web, they look like this:

grab.jpg

So given that we only have a finite amount of resources available for a mobile platform, hopefully you can see why we would pick iOS over Android.

Does this mean that we will never have an Android app? No. It just means that given the current resources available to us, we simply have to develop for one platform and we have chosen the simplest and most popular platform for that.

We hope this clears up any confusion you have as to why this is currently an iOS app only. This is our final post on the matter.

Alamy

So the stats weren't based on OS but on phone brand.  Different statistics.

Jill

So the stats weren't based on OS but on phone brand.  Different statistics.

Jill

Exactly Jill. There's no mention of all the other Android phones, only the Galaxy S6.

Anyway I'm biting my tongue to avoid being unfairly red arrowed again.

Geoff.

Although I have my cheap Apple phone, here are the stats from http://www.idc.com/prodserv/smartphone-os-market-share.jsp

chart-ww-smartphone-os-market-share.png

I know it doesn't specify camera usage, but the difference is so overwhelming.

Jill

Ok, I did the research on how the situation looks like in Poland and in every fresh article they say that Android is absolute leader, no.1, even with 85% popularity. Looks like not many people in my country will use Flickr and so Stockimo. That's ok, if Alamy doesn't want to open the doors for Android, their choice and I'll go to sell my stuff somewhere else then. Whatever, thanks that you let me know what is your opinion and plans, Alamy. This saved me time.

As far as Galaxy phones go, I tried one against the G2. The salesman took a picture with the Galaxy as I stood beside him and took the identical image with the G2. The color rendition of the G2 was far superior. Warm color but not too warm, just right. The Galaxy ran way too blue. I bought the G2 and totally disallusioned the salesman, who owned a Galaxy. I left him staring at his phone like it was chopped liver, lol. He said he was going to take another look at the G2.

Of course, that was 3 years ago, nearly.

Alamy mentions resources available. I think they are using those resources to develop the promised changes to Manage Images, which I wholeheartedly approve. Maybe when that work is done, they can address Android accessability.

Someone has cancelled the greenie I got for my message just above this. It's quite ironic too considering what I wrote about people not thinking red arrows are a good thing. It feels like it's personal.

It's a shame some who should know better create a negative atmosphere on here by giving out red arrows for no reason, other than for stating an opinion or a fact. I wonder if those responsible, which I'm pretty sure I know who they are in this case, ever give green arrows for the countless helpful posts I and others make, particularly the several times I've made helpful suggestions?

Of course this will get a red arrow or deleted now, and please nobody cancel it, I want it to show up. Time for a letter to someone I think.

Geoff.

I think I can understand why we have the red and green arrows; they allow people to express approval or disapproval both anonymously and without the need to enter into or start a debate or argument. However, we know what happens on the Internet when a forum allow anonymity, don't we?

If I was allowed a vote, I'd vote to completely remove the arrows from the Alamy forum.

Someone has cancelled the greenie I got for my message just above this. It's quite ironic too considering what I wrote about people not thinking red arrows are a good thing. It feels like it's personal.

It's a shame some who should know better create a negative atmosphere on here by giving out red arrows for no reason, other than for stating an opinion or a fact. I wonder if those responsible, which I'm pretty sure I know who they are in this case, ever give green arrows for the countless helpful posts I and others make, particularly the several times I've made helpful suggestions?

Of course this will get a red arrow or deleted now, and please nobody cancel it, I want it to show up. Time for a letter to someone I think.

Geoff.

I think I can understand why we have the red and green arrows; they allow people to express approval or disapproval both anonymously and without the need to enter into or start a debate or argument. However, we know what happens on the Internet when a forum allow anonymity, don't we?

If I was allowed a vote, I'd vote to completely remove the arrows from the Alamy forum.

I understand too that there needs to be some sort of control, or incentive maybe, for people not to make the forums like discussions on social media can get like. </snip>

Exactly - and this is how the vote system functions. It works.

We've given our reasons for the vote up and down system numerous times and the system will remain. Geoff, you yourself have raised this before and there is no need to keep repeating your dislike of the system. 

Since introducing the vote system after moving from the old forum, this place is far more civilized and there are far less angry posts. It's interesting because we can see who gives the feedback votes, and sometimes those who complain about it are some of the biggest users of it.

The system leans towards giving positive feedback and there are far more up votes than down. There is a limit of 5 down votes per day per user and it's unlimited for up votes. If anyone is abusing the system, we'll spot it and quite often those who do downvote go on to comment.

Since this thread has gone way off topic this will now be locked.

Alamy

Archived