Stockimo

Allan Bell

I'd like to know too as I've just upgraded to a Samsung Galaxy S4 and the photo quality is excellent. Don't want an iPad any more than I wanted an iPhone (although both have been seriously considered) so hoping for Android Stockimo soon.

Carole 

Don't you love those fanboys.

wim

We analyse what phones people use to open our mailouts and iPhone comes out the winner out of 100,000+ registered Alamy contributors.

This, coupled with the easier development process lead us to go with iPhone first. Android is still in our future plans.

Alamy

We analyse what phones people use to open our mailouts and iPhone comes out the winner out of 100,000+ registered Alamy contributors.

This, coupled with the easier development process lead us to go with iPhone first. Android is still in our future plans.

Alamy

Not counting those of us who don't regularly use our iPhones for mail :)

Don't you love those fanboys.

wim

Alamy

You're right of course Apple is probably used by 80% of the creative community in the West. (It used to be 99% when everybody made loads of money. And all drove Porsches. The ones who pay for all this always have used PCs though.)

wim

(full disclosure: we do have an iPad in the household, but my last iMac looks like this)

iPhones may make up less than 12% of phones world wide but when's the last time you heard someone mention Androidography?

My son uses Windows at home and at work but he's on something like his third iPhone. He and his wife each have two iPads each.  Even WIndows users like iOS ;)

Is there still no way of submitting cell phone images from the computer? I save my good ones to the computer anyway. It's part of my workflow and I refuse to edit pics on mobile devices. Not even to mention captioning and keyboarding. It seems like Alamy isn't really that serious about receiving smart phone images or why are they making it so hard to deliver them?

And wouldn't that be the solution to the Android/iOS/Windows/Blackberrry debate anyway?

It seems like Alamy isn't really that serious about receiving smart phone images...?

If you edit them on the computer, chances are you have Adobe Creative cloud.  Transfer them to creative cloud, download them to the computer, manipulate them, upload them to an iPad or iPhone via creative cloud, and submit.  It's really easier than it seems and I had the same opinion you have until I realized it really isn't that hard and I should have been doing it all along.  You can do the same thing if you are using Adobe Lightroom through the Lightroom functionality - get the Lightroom app for your phone and use it to transfer images back and forth.

I had an old Android phone until about a week ago.  I needed to upgrade so I bought an iPhone week before last Wednesday.  I've submitted at least one image per day via the app (all new images taken on the new phone) - I've submitted about 5 images today alone (all taken today).  It's a great app and a great opportunity and the review time is a matter of hours.

If you do a search in Alamy on the term "Stockimo" you'll find about 97,500 images online already - that seems to be pretty serious to me :)

I do have Creative Cloud LR/PS but it doesn't make sense to down-/upload the images back and forth just to be able to use the Stockimo app. Let us upload from the computer and the major problems are solved. It could be that simple.

My Samsung Galaxy S2 gave up the ghost over the weekend. I seriously considered the IPhone 6 but ended up with the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and love it. Transferring images is a bit of a pain but I'll just have to continue using my iPad Mini to upload to Stockimo. After using the iPad for 4 months I can't say I'm in love with the Apple operating system.

To transfer between any IOS devices eg. iPad, iPhone, and to/from any desktop desktop or laptop (either PC or Mac) try the Simple Transfer App from the Apple App Store. Costs under $4.

Here's the developer website. http://rambax.com/simpletransfer that explains how it all works.

Works like a charm when on a home wi-if network and the transfer is very quick, and avoids having to use the cloud if you don't want or need to.

My simple workflow.

1. Take image(s) on iPhone.

2. Use Simple Transfer to send to PC.

3. Make adjustments in LR or Photoshop CC, save image as Jpeg.

4. Transfer saved image to iPad or iPhone using Simple Transfer and upload to Stockimo.

Very simple and very quick.

It's even easier to send between IOS devices using Simple Transfer.

All Exif data is retained so original iPhone EXIF data is still with the image even after processing with LR or PS.

Ken.

P.S. A free trial version is available.

There are several ways to send images back and forth but that's not the point.

My point is that Alamy makes image submission harder than other agencies and harder than necessary. (Not only with smart phone images BTW.)

It's downright stupid to download the image to the computer and then upload it again to your mobile device only to be able to use the Stockimo app for submission.

Why doesn't Alamy simply provide an FTP upload route for Android to Stockimo? There are several ftp clients that run on Android phones. That would get round the need for an ftp client but may raise an issue about captioning/ tagging but I imagine there are tools already out there.

When I was with Android I wrote about 3-4 apps for it as a personal project on coding. It wasn't easy. You need to cater for each device, software revision, screen size and spec. The Android platform is so vast that it's hard to include every variable in the app. Apple stuff just needs to work on a handful of devices, it then goes for testing and then it's allowed. Android apps don't get vetted so need to go through lots of testing and your public end up being beta testers. Sometimes something will work perfect on a host of devices and not on others. You change it and then it messed up the working ones. 

The android system might be popular, but it's a mess. Too many vendors, too many variables to consider when it comes to coding for the hardware and don't even start me on the rooted device owners who can just pull your app out of the system and open it in Eclipse and see all the lovely code, re-badge it and push it out. 

• 1 month later...

Flickr have just published some interesting stats, suggesting that Apple devices for photography are even more popular than Nikon. Given that 10 billion images were uploaded to Flickr last year from 100 million users, this is significant.

They also posted some stats specifically about mobile phone usage across flickr:

Screen-Shot-2015-01-09-at-4.48.26-PM.png

You can read more analysis here: http://tnw.co/1BZLyva

We hope this goes some way to help explain why iOS is the current priority for us. We're really excited about being able to offer Android in the future, it's definitely something we also want.

Cheers

Alamy

• 2 months later...

It's still on our future roadmap, but we can't offer any timescales right now.

Developing for Android is much more complex than for iPhone.

Cheers

Alamy

I am new, so maybe I miss something...

I think Alamy is not telling the whole story...

They are not in the app business, so I do not see why they need an Android app.

We have FTP now.

We can upload with FTP photos made on any smartphone to a Stockimo folder.

Where is the problem ?

My guess is that it is not a problem of app but that they are afraid of been deluged

by low quality pictures otherwise the FTP route is obvious and ready.

You just use an FTP app on the Android assuming you want to use the smartphone,

otherwise just FTP from your desktop.

---

While we are at it, why is Alamy not using SECURE FTP ?

All agencies I have used do.

I must admit that the camera quality on my Android is a bit useless and Apple have the camera-phone market pretty much tied up so I have seriously considered getting an iPhone just so I can use Stockimo - But to be honest I just can't bring myself to buy one, I don't really want to get stuck in that iPhone rut, I like the freedom of a rooted Android.

I must admit that the camera quality on my Android is a bit useless and Apple have the camera-phone market pretty much tied up so I have seriously considered getting an iPhone just so I can use Stockimo - But to be honest I just can't bring myself to buy one, I don't really want to get stuck in that iPhone rut, I like the freedom of a rooted Android.

What about an iPod Touch? The 32GB version is ~€220 and the 16GB version is ~€150. Both have 5MP cameras. 

Archived