Alamy News.. Weather Shots

Alamy fairly frequently tweet that we should upload weather shots, particularly UK weather shots, to Alamy News.

I was just wondering if people find that these sell? I see plenty of beautiful shots of Aberystwyth courtesy of Keith Morris and am aware that they do sell.. but do other places have weather that sells?  :)

Probably the best way to answer the question is to look at what appears in the newspapers and on the online news sites! Yes, weather shots do sell.

Earnings are pretty small for the multi-photo on-line features (e.g. Daily Mail, Daily Telegraph). The much larger returns come if your image is used in the print editions.

Probably the best way to answer the question is to look at what appears in the newspapers and on the online news sites! Yes, weather shots do sell.

Earnings are pretty small for the multi-photo on-line features (e.g. Daily Mail, Daily Telegraph). The much larger returns come if your image is used in the print editions.

*Gets camera, goes outside to take pic of the weather*...

*Gets camera, goes outside to take pic of the weather*...

Sorry, your name isn't Keith Morris and you don't live in Aberystwyth, so you've got no chance there.

I'm very surprised weather shots sell as news, after all, it is just the weather!

Talk to any community on this planet for long enough, and the subject that will always pop up is the weather. The weather influences all our lives (economy, agriculture, travel, happiness,etc, etc,,,)

These weather shots have all sold on alamy, and all taken on the same day too:

red-car-driving-in-snow-in-the-lake-dist

snow-fall-causes-road-closures-in-the-cu

winter-snow-fall-at-tarn-hows-in-the-cum

Just curious, has anyone outside of the UK had a weather photo sell (for news)?

Maria

I don't submit weather shots, but my guess is that only extreme weather news shots -- tornadoes, floods, hurricanes, etc. -- taken outside of the UK would have a chance of selling through Alamy.

Snow on Burnaby Mountain probably wouldn't be of much interest to anyone in Lancashire or even Aberystwyth. B)

Maria

I don't submit weather shots, but my guess is that only extreme weather news shots -- tornadoes, floods, hurricanes, etc. -- taken outside of the UK would have a chance of selling through Alamy.

Snow on Burnaby Mountain probably wouldn't wouldn't be of much interest to anyone in Lancashire or even Aberystwyth. B)

I`m down in the Canary Islands; had three weather/sunrise/set usages (in print) via Alamy News this year.

Maria

In fact I have a feeling that in terms of geo-preference, whether it is weather ;) or any other photo-need(s), pictures shot in Europe in general and UK in particular (and even US to some exent)  dominate the overall licensing scenario. Even if the images are from a contributor outside UK/Europe/USA, the licenses are bought mostly by publishers in these areas ! Just my two cents - and, it may well be my aberrant, personal perception !!

Maria

Snow on Burnaby Mountain probably wouldn't wouldn't be of much interest to anyone in Lancashire or even Aberystwyth. B)

I`m down in the Canary Islands; had three weather/sunrise/set usages (in print) via Alamy News this year.

That's great Joe.  And John, you're right, snow on the mountain probably wouldn't make big news elsewhere.  I have only submitted a few weather-related news images from here in Vancouver, and that was for major occurrences such as the days of fog inversion that closed the international airport.

vancouver-british-columbia-canada-18th-o

They blow hot and cold but weather is probably my best selling news shots

HaHa.. I see what you did there!  :)

I've taken a few weather shots and submitted them to news but had been wondering if it was worth it... from the comments so far, I think I'll continue trying my luck and see what happens.

Maria

That's great Joe.  And John, you're right, snow on the mountain probably wouldn't make big news elsewhere.  I have only submitted a few weather-related news images from here in Vancouver, and that was for major occurrences such as the days of fog inversion that closed the international airport.

vancouver-british-columbia-canada-18th-o

That one looks as if it could easily license as a regular stock image (if it hasn't already), say for a geography or science textbook.

Having a bit of a stormageddon here on the East coast of Australia over the weekend.

When we lost power yesterday, I decided to go out and get some shots.

I wrapped up my camera in its rain jacket and managed to drive zigzaging between fallen limbs and trees.

Unfortunately, I couldn't stand up in the gale force winds, let alone focusing on anything.

My camera was furiously dancing around.

The sea was spectacular though.

I can see it from my balcony right now and the storm is worsening.

Archived