Switching payment to an heir

I recall this question coming up on the old forum, shortly before it closed. I believe the answer was that  it could indeed be done. But as Ed rightly points out, MS is the first port of call, they'll be able to help you I'm sure.

This is the response:  

Hi Dennis,

Firstly we would want to see a copy of a solicitor’s letter or death certificate.

There are two options

·         We can remove the images, close the account and pay any outstanding balance

·         We can keep the account open, change the contact details to your next of kin and continue to license the images

Thanks

Abhishek

Member Services

This is exactly what I needed to know.  Maybe it will help someone else.

denden

I reckon there's really nothing to stop you just going into account settings, changing the names, addresses and bank details and you are done.  But member services might spot such a change and assume the account has been hacked I so I a suppose a copy of a a death certificate would simply reassure member services that everything is above board.

I reckon there's really nothing to stop you just going into account settings, changing the names, addresses and bank details and you are done.  But member services might spot such a change and assume the account has been hacked I so I a suppose a copy of a a death certificate would simply reassure member services that everything is above board.

i can't provide one of those just yet!

i can't provide one of those just yet!

Yes, it does seem like a bit of a catch-22 situation. It's kinda something that you'd like to do before (as opposed to after) you depart.

• 4 weeks later...

This is the response:  

Hi Dennis,

Firstly we would want to see a copy of a solicitor’s letter or death certificate.

There are two options

·         We can remove the images, close the account and pay any outstanding balance

·         We can keep the account open, change the contact details to your next of kin and continue to license the images

Thanks

Abhishek

Member Services

This is exactly what I needed to know.  Maybe it will help someone else.

denden

Useful to know this, was thinking along similar lines recently. Would be a shame if all that handwork and key-wording was lost to the winds on one's demise! 

It's worth making a specific provision in your will as to the inheritance and usage of your Intellectual Property.  Copyright will be retained by your heirs in any event until it passes into the public domain but it's better to make your intentions clear as to the usage of that IP.  Either that or vest ownership in a Limited Company (UK) or similar and provide your heirs with shares on your death - or even before if inheritance tax is likely to be an issue. 

It's worth making a specific provision in your will as to the inheritance and usage of your Intellectual Property.  Copyright will be retained by your heirs in any event until it passes into the public domain but it's better to make your intentions clear as to the usage of that IP.  Either that or vest ownership in a Limited Company (UK) or similar and provide your heirs with shares on your death - or even before if inheritance tax is likely to be an issue. 

A sound idea. Bear in mind you can also assign the copyright whenever and to whoever you like; they should be able to continue to licence the images through Alamy. Alamy would probably want to see the formal written assignment of copyright, possibly notarised by a solictor.

A sound idea. Bear in mind you can also assign the copyright whenever and to whoever you like; they should be able to continue to licence the images through Alamy. Alamy would probably want to see the formal written assignment of copyright, possibly notarised by a solictor.

All very useful advice, especially for the legally challenged (sounds bad, I know) like myself. Thanks. 

Archived