'Network Rail' the rail transport company

Network Rail may not realize that the press photographers can also be commercial photographers. Sometimes both at the same time.

If press/commercial photographers honestly think that Network Rail are bad guys then the next time Network Rail have a photo opportunity event, I think it would be right and proper to make Network Rail look like the bad guys you think they are..

Photographers have an opportunity to change the public perception of Network Rail, just by the way they take their pictures.

If the an executive sweats, or picks their nose or bum at the event, if they arrive with their fly open, or show too much cleavage, then I think all of that is newsworthy. Bad background juxtapositions like horns seemingly growing out of their head, I think would be fair comment. There is a 1974 image of a Canadian politician fumbling an american football that cost him the election, even though he caught the football on most of the other passes.

Be creative.

I've lifted this update from Julie's link here at https://phnat.org/20...-photo-removal/ . Thanks Julie :)

Network Rail have released this statement after being contacted by PHNAT:

“As a public company funded by fare payers and taxpayers part of our responsibility is to maximise revenue from railway property, of which we are custodian.
“That means that filming and photographs taken for commercial reasons will attract a fee, whereas the content gathered for news and editorial reasons will not.
“Permission must be sought for all such activity so we can work to reduce the cost of running the railway and thus lighten the burden to both fare payers and taxpayers.
“We understand that a photograph agency with both a commercial and editorial branch were contacted by Network Rail and asked to take down photographs taken in train stations if they were to be sold on for commercial purposes. We have since gone back to the agency to clarify that the pictures may remain on the site as long as they are licenced for news and current affairs purposes only.  There has been no change in our policy.”

would be nice to get a statement from Alamy if the take downs will now be reinstated, or if we all need to write individual emails, which could be a nightmare for Alamy to process. 

I have sent three FOI  requests to Network Rail at   FOI@networkrail.co.uk

In one I have specifically requested information on which libraries have been asked to remove images - whilst the main game is to have images reinstated and NR halted in their "tracks", I do wish to know if its just Alamy that has been asked to do this take down

Interesting, I have just had some of my images removed with the same NR statement.

The thing is mine were taken from the public highway, absolutely 100%, I have replied to Image management with a google street view 'proof' and also stated I will gladly meet NR on site to prove it, at thier expense if I am correct.

I await my image re-instatement.

I've had 26 removed.  I haven't checked yet but I think most, if not all, are of Victoria station in Manchester.  Some of them, though, were taken from the Metrolink tram platforms which, although under the same roof, I think are owned by TfGM (Transport for Greater Manchester).  I will be firing off an email to TfGM tomorrow to check.

On the other hand TfGM might get the same idea....!

Maybe the press should take this up, as it is practically hindering them to perform proper reporting. 

They will not be able to legally aquire train station pictures that are not Network Rail approved. 

Maybe a headline like

"Network Rail censors press becoming monopolist picture provider"

But how may people would read the article without a photograph?

....snip ....

Maybe a headline like

"Network Rail censors press becoming monopolist picture provider"

But how may people would read the article without a photograph?

I can hardly take photos, so I would leave that to a professional journalist ;) 

I've had 26 removed.  I haven't checked yet but I think most, if not all, are of Victoria station in Manchester.  Some of them, though, were taken from the Metrolink tram platforms which, although under the same roof, I think are owned by TfGM (Transport for Greater Manchester).  I will be firing off an email to TfGM tomorrow to check.

On the other hand TfGM might get the same idea....!

Manchester Victoria has only just this month come under Network Rail management anyway so, depending on how far back your photos go the authority concerned could be Northern Rail, British Railways, LMS or even the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway.  ;)

It has been reported by...

phnat.org/2016/02/03/whats-going-on-network-rail-demand-alamy-photo-removal/

....that Netbork Rail made a mistake in demanding that editorial image be removed from Alamy, Phnat suggest that contributors contact Alamy and ask for editorial images to be restored.

I cannot post a hot link sorry.

Eureka!

I've just found the receipt I paid network Rail for access (for £235 incl vat) to London Bridge in September 2007. It's only a slip of paper saying "Filming/photos" with the receipt number, date and received by the name of a DSM ('xx Station Manager'?). It's clearly not an Alamy release and so I uploaded them as Unreleased and therefore non-commercial.

But I've attached it to Image Management requesting that three files be reinstated - so let's see if that gets me anywhere. It's not so much about the money as the principle.

Rgds,

Richard.

(update: Just read the update which negates this post).

Since yesterday, Network Rail have sought further legal advice and, based on our challenge to their initial ruling, they have changed their position. This is great news for our photographers as Network Rail have now agreed with us that these images are fine to sell editorially. 

You don't need to do anything else - we’ll put all removed images back on sale with an editorial only restriction. We have also advised Network Rail to update their photography policy to be in line with this.

Cheers

Alamy

Archived