2015 Poll  

95 members have voted

1. 1. In terms of sales and revenue, how would you rate 2015 compared to 2014?

Responses to the "Review of 2015" thread are all over the map, so I thought that a bare bones poll based solely on actual sales and revenue numbers might give a clearer (if simplistic) picture of how forum members did on Alamy in 2015.

N.B. Messy but important details can be posted in the "Review of 2015" thread.

Good idea, John.

Difficult to answer. I had almost exactly the same revenue as 2014 BUT I had to add 5500 new images to reach that amount. So, is that "about the same" or is it "somewhat worse"?

Cheers,
Philippe

Purely "in terms of sales and revenue": regardless of other factors, I'd say.

So in your case, I would have put "about the same".

Difficult to answer. I had almost exactly the same revenue as 2014 BUT I had to add 5500 new images to reach that amount. So, is that "about the same" or is it "somewhat worse"?

Cheers,

Philippe

I thought those messy details might be best left in the "Review of 2015" thread. In terms of concrete numbers, it sounds as if you did "about the same."

Good idea, John.

Cheers,

Philippe

Purely "in terms of sales and revenue": regardless of other factors, I'd say.

So in your case, I would have put "about the same".

Great minds think alike.

Cheers,

Philippe

I'm with Philippe - I ticked 'about the same.'

But the results are;

Number of sales - up .0395%

Gross amount - down .0013%

Net amount - up .0662%

Really close numbers - but to achieve it I had to add 25% more images...

Maybe it should be more of a loss - but it's New Years Day, I feel optimistic! 

Brian

I think Arterra is correct. It is difficult to answer that particular question. Maybe the question should have been "Did you make more money than previous years?" Otherwise there's too many considerations to take into account. So far I'm undecided. I'll give more thought and answer poll later.

I think Arterra is correct. It is difficult to answer that particular question. Maybe the question should have been "Did you make more money than previous years?" Otherwise there's to many considerations to take into account. So far I'm undecided. I'll give more thought and answer poll later.

I'd have trouble answering that one. My previous years are starting to look like a roller coaster. This poll is something of a "no brainer." All you have to do is look at the numbers for 2014 and 2015.

I wonder if the results are somewhat skewed as only reasonably enthusiastic folk will be forum regulars and taking part in the voting.

From personal experience I feel more highly motivated to engage with Alamy if I have had some success in the sales front.

Given the way that the market is heading, I find it odd that we appear to have a majority of positive replies here (including mine - which was probably the result of a large increase in my port size).

I think that the descriptive thread on this topic is more revealing and maybe closer to the truth. Lies, damn lies etc

Ok given that I had a strong growth in sales that was partly due to an increase in image upload I'm basing the result on revenue. My graph shows growth but not as strongly as in 2014 so I can only deduce that "somewhat worse" is the best way to sum up.

Just my two cents, but I think we should add up "about the same" and "somewhat worse" to get a more realistic comparison. I would call that category "somewhat disappointing;)

Don't forget we all added many pictures during 2015 thus expecting - logically - MORE sales and revenue (what didn't happen in my case).

Cheers,

Philippe

Yes, "somewhat disappointing" does make some sense. Perhaps it would make those of us in the "much worse" category feel "somewhat better." I increased my collection by about 600 images (not really a lot, I know, but it's all relative) during 2015, and I still slipped on a banana peel.

I wonder if the results are somewhat skewed as only reasonably enthusiastic folk will be forum regulars and taking part in the voting.

From personal experience I feel more highly motivated to engage with Alamy if I have had some success in the sales front.

Given the way that the market is heading, I find it odd that we appear to have a majority of positive replies here (including mine - which was probably the result of a large increase in my port size).

I think that the descriptive thread on this topic is more revealing and maybe closer to the truth. Lies, damn lies etc

You may have a point. Have to say that I too am surprised by the number of positive replies. It would be enlightening to hear more from the silent army of Alamy contributors who never post on the forum, but that probably won't be happening.

The "Review of 2015" thread definitely gives a more complete picture, but I thought that it might be interesting to attempt to remove some of the subjectivity. The poll is what it is, I guess, just another inevitably flawed way of looking at things.

Archived