I'm marginally up in numbers on 2014 but down in revenue.

Is it worth doing?

Yes.

I am not making a fortune, or a living from it but luckily I don't need to. But it is money I wouldn't have otherwise for relatively little effort and it suits my semi-retirement!

2015 - in number of sales BYE, in income... well, it already was better in 2013, I need only one little sale to hit the records... There are few licenses waiting to be reported so yes, I think I can say 2015 is my BYE :)

As Craig says it is not over yet.

I have matched my two best years (2008, 2011) for sales numbers (and they were pretty much all in last 7 months) but only half the best gross revenue (2007& 8). Best year for revenue since 2008 though. Last six months are best ever for sales count, so hopefully promising for 2016?

So one more sale in next few days would make it best year for sale numbers since I joined in 2002.

Whether it is worth doing? I decided it was marginal this time last year so took a sabbatical. I have only recently started uploading again after sales started to grow. I will upload selectively but my main photography (and writing) effort will be directed elsewhere in 2016.

Compare to 2014, my number of sales are up by 15%, gross total is up 12%. Average price per sale dropped slightly from $97 to $94.5. On a positive note, my DCAS fee rose to 6 times of last year's!

Howard, I think Brian gave you great advice when he said  "Shoot something really different and see how that goes."  Why don't you watch some of my YouTube videos and see if that inspires you to try a new style. Even though I am primarily an iPhone photographer, if you see what my best sellers are, the style has proven to be successful and is easily mimicked by a 'real' camera.

Gross Income up by $1,000 over last year. So that's good considering my limited port. Had some real nice text book and media sales. Didn't get my numbers up as much as I wanted, but trying to avoid the "upload anything that would pass QC" mentality. Being a little more selective in what goes in the port. Have also managed to improve my PP skills so would love to redo a lot of my original images.

Jill

Howard, I think Brian gave you great advice when he said  "Shoot something really different and see how that goes."  Why don't you watch some of my YouTube videos and see if that inspires you to try a new style. Even though I am primarily an iPhone photographer, if you see what my best sellers are, the style has proven to be successful and is easily mimicked by a 'real' camera.

Lisa - I have been meaning to thank you!  I was struggling to get any iphone images accepted a while ago.  I watched the first few episodes of your guides and that gave me a new perspective on what to upload and which treatments to make.  Straight away I got acceptances and now have a few images accepted onto Stockimo.  No sales yet, but it's fun to do.

I will watch the rest of the series, but so far it's better than I was doing on my own - so thank you very much  :)

edit: typos

Some of the fees you've managed from stockimo or G equivalent are astounding. It leaves me wondering why as file sizes and dare I say quality must be less that that achieved by dslr. So I have to ask, do you find fees in general better from your iphone than from DSLR? I use Android so I'm just curious really. :)

So far I have had 53 sales this year, but the money is the same as I got from 20 sales in 2007! Today this sale came in:

AJAMMC.jpg AJAMMC hammock01 Rolf Adlercreutz 29 December 2015 Rights Managed Country: Worldwide
Usage: iQ sale: Educational book, editorial print + digital use, front cover, one time use only
Industry sector: Media, design & publishing
Start: 29 December 2015
End: 29 December 2040 $ 8.00

I just don't get it. 8 (!) dollars?

Rolf

I too have had a sale appear today. That makes 2015 my best year in 14 with Alamy for sale numbers. Unfortunately it is only half my best two years for gross fees. It also makes December 2015 my best month (for sale numbers) in a long while. I just hope the improving trend continues into 2016 :)

I had beaten my 2014 revenue on Alamy by June of 2015, and am ending the year on a positive note, with return per download nearly double what it has been the last few years. Increased earning across all my other sites as well. My DACS payment was only up about 15%, most of my sales seem to be to the US market. I nearly doubled my stock photography income this year (when I count stock photo sales from all sources, agencies and direct stock photo sales - my biggest increase came in direct photo sales via my Photoshelter site and queries to publishers who license stock directly, though all my agencies were up this year too).

November, traditionally my best month, was much slower than usual and December has been my worst month of the year, so I hope that it picks up in January and that the upward trend continues in 2016.

I too have had a sale appear today. That makes 2015 my best year in 14 with Alamy for sale numbers. Unfortunately it is only half my best two years for gross fees. It also makes December 2015 my best month (for sale numbers) in a long while. I just hope the improving trend continues into 2016 :)

It seems to me that your not the first to say that 2015 has been the best for sales total but that fees are about half of their best year. It becomes clear then that Alamy's rise in percentage to 50% was to cover their likely and probably calculated shortfall. As fees continue to fall it will be interesting to see whether a further deduction will come to sustain their profit margin. 

It seems to me that your not the first to say that 2015 has been the best for sales total but that fees are about half of their best year.

But not everyone. Compared to my previous best year (2014):

Number of sales up by 7%

Revenue up by 105%

Alan

After 11 sales reported in the last 2 days (sadly most low priced) I will wait until the year is over before my final assessment. But so far - sales numbers down by approx 20 sales on my best year for numbers, but revenue up by approx $500 on my best year for revenue.

It seems to me that your not the first to say that 2015 has been the best for sales total but that fees are about half of their best year.

But not everyone. Compared to my previous best year (2014):

Number of sales up by 7%

Revenue up by 105%

Alan

After 11 sales reported in the last 2 days (sadly most low priced) I will wait until the year is over before my final assessment. But so far - sales numbers down by approx 20 sales on my best year for numbers, but revenue up by approx $500 on my best year for revenue.

Maybe I was too quick to judge. It's always welcoming to hear of contributors increased revenues.

Marianne, Inchiquin and Callie - great to hear that revenue per image has gone up for you! It gives me hope that my dramatic fall in RPI in 2015 is/was just a blip ...

Hope it's up next year for everyone. I was really encouraged this year by higher prices. 

Archived