smallest, lightest tripod for mirrorless

Any recommendations for a small, light tripod suitable for Fuji x type camera.

Doesn't need to be especially tall - couple of feet would be good if poss.

Any of those gorrillapod things any use ? Usually make use of piles of stones, rucksac, fence posts etc when travelling light but something to pop on top

of the boulder pile to get the fine adjustments would be useful.

Manfrotto BeFree might be a bit of overkill, but light, compact etc. . . and you didn't insist on cheap either so it qualifies ;)

dd

I quite like the look of the Joby ones. I already have a small Manfrotto - though not as posh as the one mentioned - but

trying to find smaller again. 3 legged thing - nice but pricey.

Travelshots - you have me in mind with your £10 e-bay job, genetically Yorkshire as I am. Any brand names ?

My choice: Sirui T-025X

www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=763&v=JQB8uktMnTg (Older model vs new model)

I have the old model and have removed (hacked off) the center column myself. The new model has a removable column.

My ballhead is a RRS BH 25.

Total ready length 38,5cm. (with ballhead)
Folded length for travel: 30cm! (head removed)
Working height: 99cm. (without column)

Total weight with RRS BH25: 689g

The smallest Gitzo is more stable, but mine weighs 190g more; is 45/50cm long and costs quite a bit more.

wim

edit:

The RRS BH25 is because I use it with a Canon 1DS and a 70-200mm.

The Sirui ball head that's included will work perfectly with a smaller camera.

Its clamp is on my Manfrotto table tripod. If only I knew where I have put it ;-)

If small height is not a problem, I would recommend the Velbon-EX Macro. It has 3 section legs with a 3 way pan and tilt head (with quick release plate included). Max height is 57cm, but folds down to 28cm, so easy to carry in a camera bag or rucksack. I bought one myself recently, and pleased with quality of construction.

More details here:http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-velbon-ex-macro-tripod-with-3-way-head/p1547621?mkwid=seqfobhgi_dt&pcrid=89741375219&kword=&match=&plid=&gclid=cjwkeaiapygybrc-g_jistuduv8sjabcezhzqimz3ulrmpwaivrnu3vfo8_hjbhs3kzv3xmi7z-ljhoc_mrw_wcb

I'd find a pan-and tilt much less convenient than a ball-and-socket for stills- the tripod has to be levelled. Handy for video though.

Recently I've been using the latter on its own- either stood on a flat surface or held down with the hand. Works quite well.

I have a Gorillapod with a ball head and it's fine for use with a Sony NEX6 provided you can find somewhere to mount it

I don't make a great deal of use of a standard tripod and certainly don't lug one with me on aeroplanes, but the Gorrillapod takes up very little space and will do a job in the right circumstances.

Took this using it.

I have the Giotto MT 7242. It fits in my suitcase just fine at a diagonal. It reduces to 22.4 inches (57cm). Weighs 2.2lbs (1.1kg) and holds a load of 6.6lbs. (3kg).

Finding a lightweight head would be good, I just have a regular one and pack the two unattached. This is a more traditional tripod, made of a lava compound, but I find it works well for travel with my X-T1. I can stand in a normal position, don't have to find anything to set it on or wind it around, so I have complete freedom of standing where I like.

Of course, if I had to carry it all day, I'm not sure if I would care to do that. But I'm handicapped somewhat with a bad spine.

Betty

I notice that many of you are talking about table pods as if they were tripods. Table pods can be useful in some situations, but they don't make a good stand-in for a tripod.

I have several tripods that I'll probably never use again. The one I do sometimes carry in a shoulder bag and still use is the Slik Pro 804 Carbon Fiber. Very light. It could be a bit taller. The tabletop I still use occasionally is the original Leica two-piece. The legs can be folded so it can be carried like a TV tough guy might carry a handgun. (I don't suggest that anyone carry a handgun this way.) 

Edo

Bryan - would that be the 'SLR' Gorillapod ?

Sorry Geoff I don't know which particular version it is as my son bought it for me as a Xmas gift some while ago. If it helps the legs are about 22cm long. It came without the ballhead which I subsequently purchased - almost essential in my view.

I would agree with Edo that these mini tripods have limited usefulness, as you have to find a suitable support at an appropriate height, but the Gorillapod is sturdy enough to reliably hold a small mirrorless camera, either wrapped around something or as a stand alone mini tripod.

My choice: Sirui T-025X

www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=763&v=JQB8uktMnTg (Older model vs new model)

I have the old model and have removed (hacked off) the center column myself. The new model has a removable column.

My ballhead is a RRS BH 25.

Total ready length 38,5cm. (with ballhead)

Folded length for travel: 30cm! (head removed)

Working height: 99cm. (without column)

Total weight with RRS BH25: 689g

The smallest Gitzo is more stable, but mine weighs 190g more; is 45/50cm long and costs quite a bit more.

wim

edit:

The RRS BH25 is because I use it with a Canon 1DS and a 70-200mm.

The Sirui ball head that's included will work perfectly with a smaller camera.

Its clamp is on my Manfrotto table tripod. If only I knew where I have put it ;-)

Sorry, I am not trying to hijack the thread.  But I would like to ask Wim a few questions.

Hi Wim

As we all know, you are very knowledgeable about many products.  In fact when I purchased a RRS ballhead (BH55) last year, your advice was invaluable.

With your BH25, 

• Which quick release clamp(s) do you use?
  • Are there third party or compatible QR plates with RRS clamps? Or do you have to use/purchase RRS plates? Being based in the UK, ordering to USA is not always practical.
  • Can a BH25 really support Canon 1DS + 70-200? Wow! (sorry I am not doubting your comment.)

I would be grateful for your comment.

Many thanks

Sung

I use a Fuji xpro as my main camera these days, and have been carrying a small, cheap collapsible "travel tripod" that ran me a few quid on ebay. Fully extended it's very nearly the hight of my full size one (which i never, ever carry). Now obvioustly it's a cheap, flimsy piece of rubbish, but it's still 100% better than my shaky hands and will work provided there's no suggestion of a breeze!

In fact i managed to get some half decent night shots from the Empire State building using it, much to the jealousy of other photographers up there who had their "proper" tripods confiscated on the way in. As it's the size of a compact umbrella when folded down, they didn't even notice it in my bag and i was able to whip it out in a crowd and get some sneaky shots!

It's pretty similar to this (and yes again, I am fully aware it's absolute rubbish!!) : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ex-Pro-Lightweight-Travel-Tripod-Spirit-Level-suitable-for-all-digital-cameras-/331049527040?hash=item4d1416e700:g:VXoAAOSwVFlUK4mQ

Archived