Gulliver's Camera?

While posting and reading in my recent tread concerning the pros and cons of screen protectors, I noticed that there was a variety of points of view on the Lilliput-sized Sony RX100 cameras. 

My RX100 M3 is not just another camera to me; it's a radical change in my approach to stock shooting, and to picture taking in general. (I had my pro career during the film decades, remember).

I bought mine this past Sunday, 11/18/15, so I'm still in the learning curve . . . but so far it's a success and has helped produce a few dozen keepers.

What do you think? Do you own or want to own one of these tiny marvels? 

Edo

If my revenue from stock photography were higher or if I had deeper pockets to begin with, I'd probably buy one.

As it is, I'll have to be content with my NEX cameras, which are Lilliputian enough to be something of a game-changer for me (and my bad back). Gulliver doesn't regret selling his DSLR.

I bought a secondhand RX100 to give it a try but abandoned it immediately as the image quality wasn't what I wanted. I haven't tried the Mk2 or Mk3. I then got a NEX6 and although I like it, I'm finding that too many pics are borderline for QC and I'm not confident enough to submit them. I'm wondering if the new Canon G5X will be suitable for Alamy.

Personally I'm not ready to ditch the weight just yet and will continue to use DSLRs for the foreseeable future, just keeping a pocket camera for when I don't want to take all the gear.

Alan

Of course you know I have two of them ( because I thought I lost one and bought another), and love them. In St. Croix, I shot the original 100 along with my D800 and had trouble identifying which images were shot with what without looking at file numbers.

I have many images on Alamy from the RXs.

I've never spent any time shooting manual. I put it on Intelligent Auto and fire away. It does a great job of reading the light and giving good exposures.

I thought I might sell the first one because the other has the pop up viewfinder, but find I'm reluctant because of the extra reach.

There are a couple of grips:

RX100_RFgrip.jpg
Richard Franiec (alu)

sony_dscrx100m3_sp_6009.jpg
Sony AG-R2 (plastc? rubber?)

Or you could disguise it as a Leica:

25.jpg

(vinyl)

Alternatively you could use hockey grip tape:

renfrew-colored-grip-hockey-tape-9.jpg

Or try clear silicon no-slip heel liners:

HIGH-CS06906-3.jpg

(probably $ 0.99 at your local pharmacy or at the dollar-store)

Don't use grip tape for skate boards unless you want to sand down your fingers.

Grip tape for table tennis bats feels great, but I 'm not sure about the glue.

The down side of all this is that it makes the camera less pocketable.

I use a thin lanyard in stead of the wrist loop. When wrapped around my hand it holds the camera more or less hidden/protected in the palm of my hand. If I swing the camera out, my finger or my thumb falls automatically on the shutter release.

In both positions the camera sits quite tight and is not going anywhere.

With the lanyard around my neck, the camera fits inside a shirt pocket.

wim

Have a Mk2 (fitted with a Franiec grip - essential). Lovely little camera, though not quite so pocketable as it was since fitting it with a filter mount for a polariser. A little soft in the corners but I generally reduce to 3600 x 2400px for Alamy, and have never had a QC fail with it. Agree with Philippe - the in-camera blending it does to produce low ISO jpegs in low light is extraordinary.

Alex

I bought the mk1 when they first came out and added the Franiec grip almost immediately. This in combination with a wrist strap gives very good hold. Do not think I have had a fail from images from this camera. :)

The only concern I have is with the positioning of the video button as I do catch it accidentally at times and find I have been recording my feet for a minute or two. :(

Allan

I bought the mk1 when they first came out and added the Franiec grip almost immediately. This in combination with a wrist strap gives very good hold. Do not think I have had a fail from images from this camera. :)

The only concern I have is with the positioning of the video button as I do catch it accidentally at times and find I have been recording my feet for a minute or two. :(

Allan

So-called footage ...

Allan

You can set it to operate in video mode only:

Menu > cogwheel > 3rd page > MOVIE Button - Always or Movie Mode Only.

wim

Allan

:)

Interesting stuff, peoples -- mercy bow coup.

Setting my language problems aside for the moment, I have been working through the RX100 'carry' possibilities, one by one. Yesterday, a rare Indian summer day here in NYC, I carried the camera in a pocket. Not my pants pocket--that's where I keep my ID, reading glasses, $3.50 in cash, and half a tunafish salad sandwich. The camera sat in the pocket of my lightest windbreaker, unnoticed by police or passing strangers.

Yes, the surface is smooth and slippery, but I don't fear dropping the camera. First thing always, I slip my hand through the wrist strap. Good advice from Wim, as always, but I will be bypassing all the add-ons. Frankly, I feel naked without a bag. My Domkes are overkill for the RX100 alone but may be right for the RX100 and the NEX-6 with the 10-18. I do have a smaller shoulder bag, and with the clip-on Upstrap, it sits there on my shoulder without the need to keep adjusting for comfort.

Today will be sunny and warm again and I'll be back at it. 

Dunk ah shane  B)

Ed,

I got the semi-hard Sony case made for the camera and really like it. It holds the camera, an extra battery and SD card, just barely. With the case on my belt in the vertical position it can't easily fall (or be ripped) off, and the opposing zippers make it easy to access using both hands. Would love to try the MK3 for the wide end, but need to sell stuff first. 

Allan

So-called footage ...

:lol: Nice one.

Allan

My mk1 is at the repair dept right now. They emailed me this afternoon to ask whether I wanted the coating on the LCD repaired ;-)

It had 2 small hairs or large dust particles show up on the sensor on Monday, just on the way home from picking up my Mk2!

That one had stopped opening the aperture, while I was in the US. The correct aperture did show up in the Exif though. It took me 2 days to realize what was happening. It may have been going on for days earlier. Still not sure about that.

It was repaired under warranty in about 8 days. Which may be because Sony shares it's repair facility here with the Canon CPS one: My Canon lens took 4 days, starting at the same day: the Sony needed parts that had to come from elsewhere.

Still love the tiny little buggers. I will check on the results more closely from now on though.

wim

pipe-organ-and-stained-glass-windows-in-   uniforms-and-weapons-of-allied-soldiers-

Handheld .................. in very poor light ....................at ............................................ 125 ISO.

Only my RX100 can do that.

Cheers,

Philippe

Philippe, which model do you use -- MK I, II, or III?

Still MK I

Cheers,

Philippe

Thanks, encouraging to hear. The MK I might be in the realm of possibility for me. They go for about $500 CAN here. I wouldn't want to spend more than that on a camera like this. Shall keep an eye out for further price drops around Xmas. I noticed that you downsized those two images to about 4250 pixels (9"x14" @ 300 dpi). Good choice. I often do that as well. It's fine for most editorial uses.

Allan

You can set it to operate in video mode only:

Menu > cogwheel > 3rd page > MOVIE Button - Always or Movie Mode Only.

wim

Hi wim, I cannot see MOVIE Button on the 3rd page in the cogwheel menu, or anywhere else for that matter??

Allan

FYI for those interested:  http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1140432-REG/fm_photography_a6000fbc_flash_bounce_card_for.html

It says bounce but it seems to be a diffuser. 

The last 24 images in my collection were taken with the RX100 iii.  (Not done keywording as of 12:43 PM NYC time on Oct 23, 2015.)

Archived