Gulliver's Camera?

Thanks for your encouragement, John.   :)  I'm happy with the quality, and I'm starting to get the feel of this camera. I just got back from shooting . . . again. I'm getting backed up on my PP and keywording. On the weekend I'll do some snaps of my little bag with my two-camera kit -- the RX100 iii and the NEX-6 with the Sony 10-18. 

I bought the mk1 when they first came out and added the Franiec grip almost immediately. This in combination with a wrist strap gives very good hold. Do not think I have had a fail from images from this camera. :)

The only concern I have is with the positioning of the video button as I do catch it accidentally at times and find I have been recording my feet for a minute or two. :(

Allan

You can set it to operate in video mode only:

Menu > cogwheel > 3rd page > MOVIE Button - Always or Movie Mode Only.

wim

Hi wim, I cannot see MOVIE Button on the 3rd page in the cogwheel menu, or anywhere else for that matter??

Allan

Hi Allan,

I only checked it on my Mk2. It looks like there is no such option on the Mk1. Sorry for the mistake. Mine is not back from the cleaners yet.

wim

I bought the mk1 when they first came out and added the Franiec grip almost immediately. This in combination with a wrist strap gives very good hold. Do not think I have had a fail from images from this camera. :)

The only concern I have is with the positioning of the video button as I do catch it accidentally at times and find I have been recording my feet for a minute or two. :(

Allan

You can set it to operate in video mode only:

Menu > cogwheel > 3rd page > MOVIE Button - Always or Movie Mode Only.

wim

Hi wim, I cannot see MOVIE Button on the 3rd page in the cogwheel menu, or anywhere else for that matter??

Allan

Hi Allan,

I only checked it on my Mk2. It looks like there is no such option on the Mk1. Sorry for the mistake. Mine is not back from the cleaners yet.

wim

That's ok wim. I was thinking of thickening the thumb grip to take my thumb higher than the video button but am procrastinating.

Allan

Sorry to resurrect this thread but it refers to "Gulliver's camera" sort of.

Does anyone else think it a pity that Canon did not introduce the G5X with their 24mm-600mm lens as on the G3X?

I think that would have been the ideal walk about take anywhere camera.

Allan

Gulliver travelled to Brobdingnag as well as Lilliput. Most of my (non stock) work is with a camera of Brobdingnagian proportions, 10" x 8," with occasional use of an 11" x 14". Luckily for me, prices for my prints are also of Brobdingnagian proportions compared with the Lillputian scale of most stock fees!

This project by Magnum nominee Matt Black (apt name) is shot with one or more RX100M2:

Geography of poverty.

(published August 2015)

(Warning: this is no light reading, nor viewing.)

Matt Black on Instagram.

Matt Black in Time LightBox in 2014.

More from EHRP, the Economic Hardship Reporting Project, founded by Barbara Ehrenreich.

Ehrenreich Books on Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk

(I am pretty proud that one of her covers is mine.)

wim

Hi Ed

A bit late in with this thread but I can honestly say that the RX100s are the best all round cameras I've ever used.  I started with the Mk1 which my wife now has and I have the Mk3.

The Mk3 does produce a better image which is most noticeable at pixel level.  Every image in my collection from the last couple of years is taken with these cameras set on full Auto.

Have a look through my collection to see just how incredible these cameras are.  I do think Sony missed a trick by not moulding in a grip with the Mk2 and Mk3 - the sales of add on grips

should have given them a clue.

The compact size means I can continue taking stock pics even when out in company without appearing rude.  Point and shoot at it's best.

John

Hi Ed

A bit late in with this thread but I can honestly say that the RX100s are the best all round cameras I've ever used.  I started with the Mk1 which my wife now has and I have the Mk3.

The Mk3 does produce a better image which is most noticeable at pixel level.  Every image in my collection from the last couple of years is taken with these cameras set on full Auto.

Have a look through my collection to see just how incredible these cameras are.  I do think Sony missed a trick by not moulding in a grip with the Mk2 and Mk3 - the sales of add on grips

The compact size means I can continue taking stock pics even when out in company without appearing rude.  Point and shoot at it's best.

John

I agree.

We just got back late last night....well, 10:30 is late to drag suitcases home, from St. Croix, my second time there.

I took my X-T1 and RX100 and RX100111. Did 90% of all shooting with the RXs. The reason being, the first trip 2 years ago was focused on photography, but this time was a family foursome with emphasis on vacation. As a result, the tiny cameras won the day.

I'm looking out my window right now at pea soup fog, temps 50s. Quite a shock after tropical weather.

Betty

Hi Ed

John

John, I did check your collection before buying my RX100 3. You mentioned that you use only the RX100 series in an earlier thread, and a mutual forum friend also suggested that I take a look. Nice work, and thanks. 

Yes, these little cameras look like toys, but they do a professional job, at least for the kind of stock Betty, you, and I, and many others shoot here at Alamy. They are not perfect for everything, and I would feel lost without the EVF, although I use the back screen a lot, too.

Being very much retired from assignment work, I don't need to show up and impress clients with my DSLRs and big zooms. I had some minor troubles handling the very light, very small RX100, but I'm getting used to things now. I don't feel a need for add-on pieces. 

By the way, John -- do you use screen protectors? I have them on my NEX cameras, my RX10, but have decided not to use one on my RX100. A screen protector, Betty? 

Betty, reality bites . . . and weather is reality. 

Edo

I put screen protectors on everything that that has a screen - mobile, camera, Kindle etc.  My main reason is in case I want to re-sell.  Can't beat a pristine screen when selling :D

"In case I want to re-sell." Hmm. This implies a plan for the future. Nobody has ever accused me of that.  :wacko:

I put screen protectors on everything that that has a screen - mobile, camera, Kindle etc.  My main reason is in case I want to re-sell.  Can't beat a pristine screen when selling :D

"In case I want to re-sell." Hmm. This implies a plan for the future. Nobody has ever accused me of that.  :wacko:

Unless the electronic or photographic equipment will be sold again within a year a so, age and not a tiny scratch will probably be the major reason for a lower price.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a secondhand RX100 to give it a try but abandoned it immediately as the image quality wasn't what I wanted. I haven't tried the Mk2 or Mk3. I then got a NEX6 and although I like it, I'm finding that too many pics are borderline for QC and I'm not confident enough to submit them. I'm wondering if the new Canon G5X will be suitable for Alamy.

Personally I'm not ready to ditch the weight just yet and will continue to use DSLRs for the foreseeable future, just keeping a pocket camera for when I don't want to take all the gear.

Alan

Quite agree. Having used the RX100III for a little while now I am still going to update my Canon 5DII. We may be more picky than QC sometimes, but the RX100III camera delivers like Forrest says about life and a box of chocolates, "Life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get." Will still be my light camera and it is able to shoot adequate images - and especially good in low light conditions.

As I've previously posted. I too have owned both a mk1 and mk2 Rx100 and been very unhappy on both occasions.

The Canon G7x is a totally different animal that gives consistent quality results. Much nicer to hold and use.

Or, of course, I may have just picked out the strawberry cream.

Archived