What kind of trouble can you get into by taking photos of military vehicles with identifiable soldiers on parade ( public ) and selling them on alamy. Soldiers driving military equipment, marching soldiers, etc? Even if its legal what about the ethics of it? Bad idea for a few bucks?

It depends on the country. This is the information given by the company I am traveling to Kenya with... 

Kenyan law forbids photography of the president, the Kenyan flag, police, military or prison personnel, government buildings and military installations

Paulette

I'd have thought you should show the same caution if identifying members of the armed services as other uniformed people, especially if they're cadets and potentially, minors. Wasn't there a case last year where teenage cadets were being followed home from their barracks by undesirables?

As for the subject generally, I'd say that if in doubt, ask any senior officer present and state your case. They'll soon put you right!

I once photographed passers-by near a portrait of the president (in full army regalia) in a shopping centre in central Khartoum. They didn't like that.

Rgds,

Richard.

It depends on the country. This is the information given by the company I am traveling to Kenya with... 

Kenyan law forbids photography of the president, the Kenyan flag, police, military or prison personnel, government buildings and military installations

Paulette

"Kenya flag" 791 results.

Also hundreds of Kenyatta in Kenya and piloce on duty.

In the UK, it would be fine in a public parade or on ceremonial duty (Buckingham Palace and Horseguards are fair game, of course) but I'm not sure this is what the OP means.

In Kos I photographed a military band beating the bounds and there was no apparent problem but they were in full public view. Not up to scratch for Alamy alas.

I'd exercise caution unless you were sure of the rules in the country you are in.

In the UK, I'd say parades are OK, as well as military demonstrations.  I'd think twice about walking up to a military barracks or other installation, although, if you in a public place you should be OK. 

No problems at public events in Denmark, but I would always show common sense. (But this may very well be quite different in Mexico). This also goes for photos of the police - and definitely at airports that have strict rules for what and who you can aim your lenses at. And I wouldn't hide in the bushes outside military barracks to get photos from restricted areas. In these cases I would ask for permission and guidelines for what could be photographed (or rather not be) - and how these photographs could be used.

- and shouldn't that be "whom" as mrs Hyacinth Bucket would have said.

Re Mexico, I've spent a lot of time there and in other Latin American countries, and I avoid photographing anything to do with the military or the police. They always look like they mean business. Also, spending even one night in a lovely Mexican jail doesn't appeal. I wouldn't worry much about photographing public parades -- military marching bands, etc. -- though. 

That said, everything should be fine in Mexico as long as you keep your sombrero on. B)

How about the usa or canada? What about later if the shot gets published editorial and the soldier doesnt like his face in the magazine or website? Repercushions?

How about the usa or canada? What about later if the shot gets published editorial and the soldier doesnt like his face in the magazine or website? Repercushions?

In the US you can photograph anything in public view. The American Civil Liberties Union has published a brochure on Photographers' Rights which is available from their website.

https://www.aclu.org/issues/free-speech/photographers-rights

Photographing parades with police or military vehicles or personnel is encouraged. We just had Fleet Week where the various ships parade through the harbor and are open to the public. Sailors generally enjoy seeing themselves in print.

On the filpside, the New York Civil Liberties Union has developed an app to document police misconduct which sends the photos directly to the NYCLU before they can be tampered with. NYPD probably doesn't enjoy this kind of coverage quite as much ;)

Of course none of this covers photographing on a military base or inside law enforcement facilities, but these arms of government often release official photos on Flickr.

fD

What about later if the shot gets published editorial and the soldier doesnt like his face in the magazine or website? 

Well you could always add some face paint to them, in photoshop. Maybe, turn them into a evil clown, a grumpy unicorn or a little pussycat  :P

Worse case, they take you to the tower of london. 

If it's on public land its good (pending country restrictions and private land e.g. installations, bases, HQ etc)

If you're unsure, just ask for a ranking official and i'm sure he/she will give the permission;- becareful of anti-terrorism laws, military articles/directives etc. 

I find it varies from one country to another. For me what works is to take the pics openly and smile. If approached act innocent and delete if asked. I've had to delete quite a lot but it's cheaper now that I don't use film. Airports are a no no in most countries and if it says no pics don't even try.

dov

Ask a policeman in London if you can take a photo and they wont even let you finish your sentence.

Last week in my polite happy voice, "Can I..?"

"NO"

"NO"

I dont mind the no, but that treating me like a pleb was just rude. I have often found the met like this.

Not my experience. I got chatting to an armed officer in London back in March. I was telling him about how I made my living and then asked if I could get a photo of him holding his gun. The stipulation I gave to him was that I didn't want to have ghis face in the photo due to the potential come back on him PLUS he has, like me, has a family and I respect his right to privacy. I made sure too that there were no identifying numbers on him etc before submitting it to my usual source.

Picture has been sold!

Oh, and if you are visiting France and try shooting coppers and soldiers then be VERY careful. They take the privacy law very seriously over here so no matter what you may see on Alamy do not take that as a verbatim free for all.

Oh, and if you are visiting France and try shooting coppers and soldiers then be VERY careful. They take the privacy law very seriously over here so no matter what you may see on Alamy do not take that as a verbatim free for all.

No problems on Remembrance Sunday in Toulouse.

And you don't need permission to take a photograph of a policeman in the UK.

No problems on Remembrance Sunday in Toulouse.

It may be the case you don't need permission but we are living in different times. We rely on the security forces to keep the undesirables at bay. I don't think a little common courtesy goes amiss.

The Met in particular have been hauled over the coals recently for mistreating photographers. They have finally been told the facts of life so if relevant I would extend the courtesy of an acknowledgement and a thankyou but would not ask permission on the street.

- neither in Denmark, but a little courtesy and common sense as an appreciation of the good relationship press photographers and the police normally have in this country doesn't harm. I have several photos of policemen and women at work, but take care to make them as anonymous as possible. I have always been treated well at demonstrations and been able to jump on either side of any police cordon just showing my card. Sometimes there is time for a chat.

Paulette

"Kenya flag" 791 results.

Also hundreds of Kenyatta in Kenya and piloce on duty.

Just because it's here doesn't mean it's OK. Look at some of the RF images in a search for Edinburgh Military Tattoo and consider whether it's likely that there's a full set of releases, as claimed.

Now if you sold a shot on alamy of an identifiable soldier and the government saw it in a magazine could they prosecute on the grounds it endangered the soldier ie terrorists

Now if you sold a shot on alamy of an identifiable soldier and the government saw it in a magazine could they prosecute on the grounds it endangered the soldier ie terrorists

Marching in a parade? I don't think so but it would depend on the country where they chose to sue you

Here in the US it wouldn't be a criminal offense so there wouldn't be any prosecution. 

i was always lead to believe police in uk - public servants (they dont like to be called that though, as lots have inflated ego's!).

but in general, police in public, on duty, should be fine. and you shouldnt need to delete any images,

there was a handy website that promoted the use of a little downloadable "cheat sheet" that had uk photographers rights on it, and says pretty much the same as i have said.

i wouldnt like to try armed forces though, they arent as public facing as police, imo.

but on parade etc, if a large amount of people are going to see them (eg remeberance day), then its almost to be expected that someone will take a photo.

i wouldnt like to take photos of armed forces one on one though, perhaps government defence / terrorism laws being mentioned, common sense prevails though im sure.

eg a train station that is known to handle army personnel coming and going to barracks, ive photographed, but ive never sat anywhere near the barracks and took photos. perhaps im a wuss ha

You should never delete images at anyone's behest. It is criminal damage without a court order. Just the same as ripping the film out.

Absolutely! If it's been suggested by Mr Plod or a Mr Plod wannabe that you've taken illegal images, deleting them is destroying evidence, no?

dd

Archived