This re-rank is a strange one.  My three psuedos have hardly moved at all.  Never seen that before.  Same pages except for my top psuedo going from bottom of pg 2 to top of pg 3.

If it was just me, I'd be wondering if the slight change is due to added BHZ contributors (some of which don't understand the concept) or a real re-rank.

I had a similar sense of little real change.

This re-rank is a strange one.  My three psuedos have hardly moved at all.  Never seen that before.  Same pages except for my top psuedo going from bottom of pg 2 to top of pg 3.

If it was just me, I'd be wondering if the slight change is due to added BHZ contributors (some of which don't understand the concept) or a real re-rank.

There has  been some change in the placing of images on the first page, which are clearly unaffected by any rogue goings-on among the lower orders, so the re-rank is surely real. It does, however, seem much less of a seismic movement than previous occasions - which is a pity because a seismic movement is what I really needed!

There has  been some change in the placing of images on the first page, which are clearly unaffected by any rogue goings-on among the lower orders, so the re-rank is surely real. It does, however, seem much less of a seismic movement than previous occasions - which is a pity because a seismic movement is what I really needed!

that is certainly my experience - 3 pseudo's which have hardly change, two others which were previously first page (120 images per page) still first page but improved position.

I read somewhere on Alamy blog that BHZ doesn't actually work

Well, they would say that, wouldn't they? ;)

Coo. I've never had a red arrow before - there's a first time for everything isn't there!

Fixed the red arrow. Must have been an error. Hope you weren't fond of it.

Paulette

HI Barking;

To get some idea of your ranking:

1. Take ONE (and only one) RM image for each pseudonym you have, and put BHZ as the first word in the Essential keyword line, and nowhere else

2. The following day, type BHZ into the Alamy search box, make sure the tick is taken off RF images, that the search is set to "Relevent" and the number of images per page is set to 120

3. Find each of your pseudonyms' images in the 25 or so pages to get AN APPROXIMATE idea of your ranking c/w others who play the BHZ game

Let us know!

Kumar

Barking, on 30 Mar 2015 - 6:16 PM, said:

For those who are relatively new to this 'game'how do we mere mortals calculate our ranking?

BHZ is a waste of time. Want to know where you really stand in the ranking? Just look for one of your ordinary pictures (one of which there are thousands of competing images) and see on which page yours lands. Not within the first three to five pages? Well, there you have a problem :mellow:

E.g: search for "remote control" (20,002 images) and see where your image EG70G9 lands.

Cheers,

Philippe

Things definitely look rosier when I use this method. Think I'll stick to it, even if only for mental health reasons. B)

HI Barking;

To get some idea of your ranking:

1. Take ONE (and only one) RM image for each pseudonym you have, and put BHZ as the first word in the Essential keyword line, and nowhere else

2. The following day, type BHZ into the Alamy search box, make sure the tick is taken off RF images, that the search is set to "Relevent" and the number of images per page is set to 120

3. Find each of your pseudonyms' images in the 25 or so pages to get AN APPROXIMATE idea of your ranking c/w others who play the BHZ game

Let us know!

Kumar

Thanks, Doc...will give it a try...suspect I'll be on page 101 at least :D

Given that buyer searches are subject-specific, I would think that the "Arterra method" gives more realistic/useful results.

However, The BHZ method is still probably a good way of finding out where one sits in the big picture. "BHZ" also has a nice ring to it.

Given that buyer searches are subject-specific, I would think that the "Arterra method" gives more realistic/useful results.

However, The BHZ method is still probably a good way of finding out where one sits in the big picture. "BHZ" also has a nice ring to it.

and can give you a useful idea of whether you are moving up or down over a period of time

Kumar

Barking, on 30 Mar 2015 - 6:16 PM, said:

For those who are relatively new to this 'game'how do we mere mortals calculate our ranking?

BHZ is a waste of time. Want to know where you really stand in the ranking? Just look for one of your ordinary pictures (one of which there are thousands of competing images) and see on which page yours lands. Not within the first three to five pages? Well, there you have a problem :mellow:

E.g: search for "remote control" (20,002 images) and see where your image EG70G9 lands.

Cheers,

Philippe

BHZ isn't perfect, but there are problems with using real world searches, not least the bias that creeps in when constructing the search term. 

One word searches are OK but multiple words are much less accurate. For example, "philadelphia museum of art" brings up a different set of images to "museum of art philadelphia". If you keyworded in a certain word order, then you'll undoubtedly use the same order when doing a test search - but buyers might not be using that word order. Additionally, you might use different terms to the majority of buyers - "pizza new york city" produces very different results to "pizza nyc", and "austin tx" gives you different images to "austin texas". 

There's also some evidence that the sales one's had for a particular search term influence order of search results, ie. a pseudonym with lots of salesin the past 300 days (for a given search term) will appear higher than one with lower sales, even though the latter might have a higher base ranking. This can skew the results. With BHZ, you can be pretty sure nobody has bought an image after using that search term!

If you're going to do real world searches, then it's better to use one word or exactly the same multiple words most frequenly appearing in AoA measures.

Ian D

My position hasn't changed either. In the last several reranks, I've stayed on the same page, way down on page 19.  Perhap a slight change on the page but that's it.  

I thought I might be moving forward a bit after getting that nice letter saying my CTR was was in the top 10% and my images were trending.  It must have been a short-lived trend  ;)

While BHZ has its weaknesses, it is nonetheless the case that ever since I joined the game (about 5 re-ranks ago) I have seen a very strong correlation between where I sat in BHZ and the proportion of views/zooms/sales to the number of images in my portfolio. Alamy can proclaim as loudly as they wish that BHZ is a waste of time, but my experience is that it is a strong indicator of the kind of performance I can expect from my portfolio and a pretty good guide to where my images appear in real world searches too.

I was mistaken, my main pseudo is exactly where it was last time -- page one, row 8. Whew! Guess I had the wrong glasses (a.k.a. "specs") on earlier.

Still looking for my secondary pseudo, though. It hasn't been getting much action, so I imagine that it's still near the bottom of the deck.

Given the excellent (touch wood) BHZ of my main pseudo, I'm thinking of moving everything back into it. Good idea or not?

Did what was suggested and I'm on Page 19!!!!   Whoop de do!   At least it's a start point...the only way is up? :D :D :D :D

But ...... when you look for "police helicopter" your picture ED6WF1 lands on page 4 (90 images/page) on a total of 32 pages. And that ........ isn't bad at all.  ;) 

Cheers,

Philippe

Wow!  Thanks, Philippe...didn't realise there was such a market for `police helicopters'    :)

While BHZ has its weaknesses, it is nonetheless the case that ever since I joined the game (about 5 re-ranks ago) I have seen a very strong correlation between where I sat in BHZ and the proportion of views/zooms/sales to the number of images in my portfolio. Alamy can proclaim as loudly as they wish that BHZ is a waste of time, but my experience is that it is a strong indicator of the kind of performance I can expect from my portfolio and a pretty good guide to where my images appear in real world searches too.

Joseph, I too "do" BHZ and occasionally check where my images sit relative to the others . . . but I think Alamy aren't too far off the mark in their attitude towards BHZ (even if their rationale for their attitude is a tad lacking in intellectual vigor): for every post like yours highlighting a logical relationship between BHZ standing/zooms/sales/CTR etc, there are a handful describing the exact opposite (ie, no logical relationship whatsoever).

I regard BHZ much as I regard the reading of the entrails of a recently-deceased-but-died-peacefully-of-natural-causes lemming under a full moon in August (souther hemisphere of course)--highly entertaining, but ultimately of little practical real-world use . . .

dd

Archived