Sales Positivity Update

John Mitchell

Earlier this year, there was a forum thread about how sales peaked a couple of years ago and have been declining since then. I agreed at the time, but yesterday I noticed that my sales numbers for 2014 have topped those of 2012, which was my previous best year. 

This is how things are "trending" at the moment. Not huge numbers, I know, but encouraging for a part-timer like myself who doesn't really add a lot of images (a few hundred) during the course of a year.

2011 - 93 sales

2012 - 109 sales (best year)

2013 - 85 sales

2014 - 111 sales (Jan. to Nov. 18)

Has anyone else been pleasantly surprised by an unexpected upswing in sales this year?

I have a very nice upswing in sales, but I don't think that single element tells the whole story....

1) I've added quite a few images in the past year.

2) I've noticed that the revenue per image licensed isn't as much as it was in past years (I am/was in novel use and I am in the UK newspaper scheme).

I see the same trend at other places and I don't believe this is unique to Alamy.

I wish I could say the same John. 2011 was my peak year (so far) at 196 sales and then it has dropped about ten sales a year, there after. And with the values of the sales steadily going down, my graphs are not a pretty sight! All this while I have been steadily adding to my collection.

I wish I could say the same John. 2011 was my peak year (so far) at 196 sales and then it has dropped about ten sales a year, there after. And with the values of the sales steadily going down, my graphs are not a pretty sight! All this while I have been steadily adding to my collection.

Yes, well, I did neglect to mention that my gross income for 2014 is lagging considerably behind that of my "banner" year (2012). Still, I am surprised -- in a good way -- at the increase in sales this year, especially since I haven't really added a lot of new images.

I'm always impressed when I look at your returns against portfolio size John. Very well done. I'm a few shots over last years total but with a not inconsiderable increase in images added. Only 30 in total sales for the year but progress is progress I suppose. 

Counting the two sales that appeared this morning, I now have more sales for 2014 than I did in 2013 and more $$$ than in 2012 (gross.) Average price is up too.

The only downside is that I have more images online than I did in 2012 or 2013

my peak year in number of sales was last year (202 sales) although that was only slightly higher than 2012. But this year has already overtaken last year in terms of revenue, even though so far I only have 134 sales. But I have added nearly 1000 more images this year, so overall it ought to be better.

My sales and revenue plummeted from 2010 to 2011 and have been slowly recovering since then. My collection has been relatively static since 2010 (added 350-400, deleted about 150).

The trends are positive, but sales and revenue have a long way to go to get back to my 2008-2010 levels.

John and All,

I will say that when I started with Alamy my average license, after commissions

was $400.00.  I will also say that in the 80's and 90's I charged clients over $600.00

to do a "headshot".... It is a really scarry market right now and in my opinion

Alamy is doing a really good job trying to keep "all of our heads above water."

For me the number of licenses per year is down and the fees for the licenses is 1/2 or

less each per image of what I would be happy with in the "good old days."

Chuck Nacke

It is sort of inevitable that income will conform to a bell curve with any agent.

Hmmmmm......... not so sure about the inevitable bell curve. Here's my Alamy's revenu curve (note there's still more than a month to go till the end of 2014):

Sales.jpg

I agree that you'll probably get a bell curve if your uploads don't match percentagewise the 30,000 uploads which Alamy receives on a daily basis. I strongly believe that there's only one remedy for maintaining a steadily growing sales/revenue and that's keep feeding the beast and fill the gaps -_-

Stock is simply a number's game. 

Cheers,

Philippe

I think the days of the bell curve might be over. The market is too unpredictable now. My Alamy sales graph for the past seven years is starting to look suspiciously like a roller coaster. Not complaining, though. My images have done far better on Alamy than I expected, and the overall trend is still upward. Just hoping that I can keep the beast reasonably happy.

Well I have classic bell curve going on but I'll take a roller coaster, I need an upward slope! One good bit of news for me has been with my measures this month, they have shot through the roof and have nearly doubled any previous peak, for the past year. So maybe some good things coming down the road, in terms of sales!

Well I have classic bell curve going on but I'll take a roller coaster, I need an upward slope! One good bit of news for me has been with my measures this month, they have shot through the roof and have nearly doubled any previous peak, for the past year. So maybe some good things coming down the road, in terms of sales!

Could be the year-end rush to spend whatever is left in the budgets before it's too late.

This is what the roller coaster looks like.

Graph3.jpg

Archived