How many to upload at a time

You can tell from the number of images for sale that I'm an 'Alamy novice' but have now submitted seven batches of uploads including the initial unsuccessful upload. After getting the initial QC pass (albeit on the second attempt of a batch of four) the next three batches to get accepted contained 5, 11 and 15 images. I've two more batches awaiting QC containing 19 and 10 images.

Alamy's initial email recommended that I submit small groups of images to start with - hence the above numbers.

I'm quite happy to only ever submit batches of 10-20 images but just wondered if there was a recommended number - are such relatively small batches a problem or the norm or doesn't it matter? I didn't want to upset the QC process by submitting lots of frequent small batches or conversely less frequent larger batches. Any advice please? Thanks.

Gary

I try to do a project at a time so that's normally between 30-100 but I have been known to upload 1. Not normally more than 150. For me it's about keeping the numbers manageable to get them processed after QC.

Should also add that each upload will just be stacked so that a number of uploads will pass at the same time.

As Peter says I tend to keep submission quantities on the low side as the subsequent keywording does not seem to be such a drag.

Allan

I tend to upload in small batches, typically up to about 15 and usually only 1-3 batches queued at any one time as they usually clear in a couple of working days. I upload when I take a break from a post prod session - say twice per evening session. I keyword before I upload so just have to reorganise in manage images, still a pain.

A lot of my stuff goes through the news route and that ranges from 1 to about 20ish, often around a dozen.

Just don't submit any more until the two batches pass QC!

Disagree. Submit as many batches as you need to as and when you're ready. Just make sure you check every image - which you should be doing anyway

That was, of course, advice to a novice, who maybe not too sure about requirements :huh:

Many thanks for all replies - all very useful for this novice. The main thing appears to be keeping batches manageable with regard to the subsequent keywording process etc. 

......Should also add that each upload will just be stacked so that a number of uploads will pass at the same time.

Thanks Peter - does that mean Alamy will process all of your outstanding batches at once? If so, if there is one reject in just one batch does that automatically fail the other batches?

P.s. I note that my images number (shown against my forum post) shows as zero - yet I've got a grand total of 35 on sale. Odd

I upload when I have images ready after processing a project. Typical batches are 30-80 shots. My lowest is 1 and my biggest is 350. Check every square inch of every one at 100% and, just before upload do a random recheck of say 10% of your shots. If you find a fault in the 10% recheck then go back and recheck them all. It can be tedious but getting 30 days in the sin bin is even more tedious. Once you have got your workflow nailed down and can recognise CA, SoLD, etc then you can fearlessly upload big batches.

Col

Many thanks for all replies - all very useful for this novice. The main thing appears to be keeping batches manageable with regard to the subsequent keywording process etc. 

......Should also add that each upload will just be stacked so that a number of uploads will pass at the same time.

Thanks Peter - does that mean Alamy will process all of your outstanding batches at once? If so, if there is one reject in just one batch does that automatically fail the other batches?

P.s. I note that my images number (shown against my forum post) shows as zero - yet I've got a grand total of 35 on sale. Odd

You have to sign out of the forum and then sign back in to get your number of images updated. One of those small annoying glitches.

Paulette

Forget that question, I've just noticed it covered in the submissions guidelines - I see they are all classed as one submission!

You have to sign out of the forum and then sign back in to get your number of images updated. One of those small annoying glitches.

Paulette

Ah Yes. Just tried it, many thanks.

I tend to upload no more than 30-40 at any one time. If I had to keyword more than that in one go I would lose the will to live.

Alan

Alan, first, I do all my keywording ahead of time. And what I will do is get up a batch of 5-10 depending on time. Then over the next day or so upload the rest in a couple of batches as once that first batch is up, I"m in the queue so all will pass on the timeline of the first upload. 

Jill

I tend to upload no more than 30-40 at any one time. If I had to keyword more than that in one go I would lose the will to live.

Alan, first, I do all my keywording ahead of time. And what I will do is get up a batch of 5-10 depending on time. Then over the next day or so upload the rest in a couple of batches as once that first batch is up, I"m in the queue so all will pass on the timeline of the first upload. 

By the time I've stared at every inch of them all at 100% I'm too cross-eyed to keyword as well, so I rest my eyes for the 2-3 days in QC. I also find that uploading in batches of 30-40 enables me to sort the wheat from the chaff beforehand and upload the rubbish first so it then comes lower down in any searches.

Alan

Mostly 50 at a time once a week on a Wednesday. Some weeks time permitting i submit another 30 just before the weekend and both batches pass together as they did this morning.

That workflow is comfortable for me to fit in between a full time job, except i do get a little behind with the key wording.

Regards

Craig

The advice to submit small batches at the beginning is probably down to the "one fail / all fail" QC approach until you get a feel for the standard - once you're comfortable that all your submissions meet the standard, add as many as you like.

Similar to others, I tend to keep my uploads to around 100 or less, for exactly the same reason as others have given - keywording in Alamy is such a PITA.

If there was one improvement that could be made, it would be to keywording, and to allow at least the essential and main keywords fields to be filled in before upload (without having to resort to third party Lightroom plug-ins).  It is such a chore, drag-and-drop is not supported: it is truly primitive.  And being Flash based (i.e. an old technology), I cannot even do this at leisure on my iPad.

Come on Alamy, make our lives more livable and bring image management into the twenty-first century.

Graham

Archived