The Educational Value of Keywording

After QC passes a batch of images, I go over the caption and keywords by opening a second window in Safari. If for no other reason, I want to check the spellings because I can't copy and paste in Manage Images 2. Besides the spelling issue I find myself reading and learning many other things about the subject that I did not know, or at least was not considering on anything but a basic, sallow level. 

I just finished keywording a dish of corn salad and I was reminded that corn is a grain . . . not a vegetable. Okay, I did know that, but it wasn't crystal clear in the front of my mind. "Corn" is no doubt not the best example of what I'm saying here, but at the moment I'm feeling that keywording is a positive, good and helpful thing to do rather than a time consuming pain in the butt. 

Edo

Ed if I need to copy keywords from one image to another in MI2 (is that ANOTHER secret service department?) I open two MI windows side by side.

Copy wording in image in one window then paste in image on second window.

Hope I have got the gist of your problem right.

Allan

I can't copy and paste in Manage Images 2. 

Is that because the menu commands are unavailable? You know you can still use the keyboard shortcuts: cmd-c to copy and cmd-v to paste.

In relation to the actual topic here, I do something similar which means keywording can take way too long. I have a big backlog of images to keyword because of spending too long checking the latin names of plants and accuracy details of localities etc but I do enjoy the learning.

Keywording is every bit as important as the image itself. You could argue that it's even more important, as, without appropriate keywords - not too many, not too few - even the best images will never be seen.

I try not to regard it as a chore: sometimes the strategy works... sometimes not...  :unsure:

Ed, Although sometimes the thought of keywording (and the process) is a pain in the butt, I too find that I learn so much. And surprisingly, even at my age, its actually sinking in! There is a good side to everything. :)

1+  for the educational side of it.

These help:

MyKeyworder

Remove Duplicate / Repeating Words from a Text

Sort your tags by priority

For everything lacking in Manage Images 2.X: go back to 1.0

Even Undo (Ctrl-Z) works ;-)

And about 20+ other things the developer of 2.X forgot to build in.

No batch. If only the designer had integrated Lightboxes and Manage Images to achieve that.

wim

Keywording definitely can be educational when research is involved. It can also be a time-consuming, pain in the butt, depending on what is in the images. It can take me ages to caption and keyword a couple of dozen images. Personally, I think that Jeff G. deserves a medal of some kind, perhaps even an honorary PhD in keywording from Alamy U.  B) 

I also feel that key wording is a valuable educational tool. I enjoy researching data on travel and historic subjects to increase my knowledge and appreciation of my subjects. Even researching latin names etc of flora and fauna has its rewards. That said, the actual process is a laborious pain in the whatsit, but many labours have additional value derived from the extra effort put in.

dov

These help:

MyKeyworder

No batch. If only the designer had integrated Lightboxes and Manage Images to achieve that.

wim

Ah, George, John, dov and wim . . . you guys actually read the title of my post? Amazing things are happening. I do use both and get the diff between MI1 and MI2. (I also have friends in MI5 and MI6.) Reviewing data or learning new facts make keywording less of a drag on given days. 

Wim, I used to make a point of sorting my tags by priority, although it's a judgement call, but I thought that Alamy lists keywords alphabetically? I've been revisiting images and adding "" to phrases. 

These help:

MyKeyworder

wim

Ah, George, John, dov and wim . . . you guys actually read the title of my post? Amazing things are happening. I do use both and get the diff between MI1 and MI2. (I also have friends in MI5 and MI6.) Reviewing data or learning new facts make keywording less of a drag on given days. 

Wim, I used to make a point of sorting my tags by priority, although it's a judgement call, but I thought that Alamy lists keywords alphabetically? I've been revisiting images and adding "" to phrases. 

I believe the rumour is that Alamy displays keywords alphabetically, but they somehow stay in original order for searching purposes. This hasn't been confirmed by Alamy, though, at least not as far as I know.

Here is a boring shot that sold for a textbook because of the keywording.

The lake is called a kettle lake and is created by a chunk of ice left behind by a retreating glacier. The ice melts and leaves a depression, with rampart sides, that fills with rainwater. I knew this only because there was a descriptive park sign, off camera, that described the phenomena and how it was different from other lakes.

I read the sign first, so I would understand how to photograph the lake for textbook purposes. I also took a picture of the sign to refer to when keywording.

Kettle_lake_left_by_retreating_glacier_i

The lake is called a kettle lake and is created by a chunk of ice left behind by a retreating glacier. The ice melts and leaves a depression, with rampart sides, that fills with rainwater. I knew this only because there was a descriptive park sign, off camera, that described the phenomena and how it was different from other lakes.

I read the sign first, so I would understand how to photograph the lake for textbook purposes. I also took a picture of the sign to refer to when keywording.

Kettle_lake_left_by_retreating_glacier_i

Definitely not a boring image to a glaciologist. It's also nice and bright with an interesting sky. Great example.

I imagine that you put "glacial moraine" in the keywords as well.  Also, that hill in the background might be a "drumlin" (not sure about that, though).

This is a very interesting point as frequently in my experience  geological interpretation signs are inaccurate because they are often written by non-professionals and not checked for accuracy. Geology often gets a bad deal in comparison to biological signs which seem to be more accurate in general in terms of species names etc. I always take pictures of signs on my iPhone and have amassed quite a collection now including some real howlers (mostly translations from Spanish which appear to have been run through Google Translate or the like and neither checked for scientific or linguistic accuracy).

In this case your keywording looks pretty good but I would add the term "kettle hole" as this is the usual term used. 

Definitely not a boring image to a glaciologist. It's also nice and bright with an interesting sky. Great example.

I imagine that you put "glacial moraine" in the keywords as well.  Also, that hill in the background might be a "drumlin" (not sure about that, though).

Not sure that that is a drumlin. Even if it is, then it is not a good example and it is unlikely that anybody would want to buy it. 

Now below are some proper drumlins - the green hills in the middle ground. In Atlantic Ireland, drumlins are often easy to identify, as they usually consist of good soil so are used for agriculture, in contrast to the rocky bogland from which they arise.

View_over_Ardgroom_Beara_Peninsula_Count

Not sure that that is a drumlin. Even if it is, then it is not a good example and it is unlikely that anybody would want to buy it. 

Now below are some proper drumlins - the green hills in the middle ground. In Atlantic Ireland, drumlins are often easy to identify, as they usually consist of good soil so are used for agriculture, in contrast to the rocky bogland from which they arise.

View_over_Ardgroom_Beara_Peninsula_Count

Yes, those are "awesome" drumlins. In parts of southeastern Canada, they tend to be covered in trees and are often not easy to spot.

An Alamy search for "drumlins" brings up some unusual results. Not many of the images look as if they would be of interest to geography-minded researchers and buyers.

Drumlins, Glacial Moraines, Roche Moutonee - blimey it's like being back in my Geomorthologic Science lesson!

Keywording can be mundane, but it's amazing just how distracted you can get when you find something really interesting - I to have a collection of sign images, French and Spanish guide pamplets (one day I'm actually going to be able to understand more than he basics without resorting to google translate) which have helped.

Martin

www.windmillskies.com

The lack of a way to batch update several images makes me want to scream - the process of key wording each image one by one feels like eating soup with a tea strainer. Or like someone forgot that we are actually using computers to do the key wording - I find most other computing tools make tasks quicker to accomplish, but the Alamy interface seems to make a real meal out of key wording. Is it so cumbersome in order to force us to take more time over our key wording?

Having said that, I like researching the subjects for my keywords and can become engrossed way beyond any key wording requirement. I've recently learned a lot about a Northumbrian cycling team, the difference between a solar clock and a sundial (don't ask me to explain, I am still a bit shaky on it) and a whole wheeng (local word) about recycling rubber (again, don't ask....).

So yes, I love the research.... Not really that surprising when I've found the subject interesting enough to take a photo in the first place, I suppose.

Ed, I think you are on a Mac and you can also Control - Click to get the menu that lets you copy and paste within Manage Images.

Paulette

Thanks for the info, Paulette. I'll give it a try when I have some new images. I just tried it on some 'on sale' images and both copy and paste were grayed out and not working. But the functions that support keywording were not the point of my post. 

Archived