Exotic Locations

Essexps

I posted a comment yesterday about not having been to any exotic locations in April/May.

That got me thinking, perhaps we need a thread for upcoming trips to exotic locations booked in the near future - Cheer us up / Tee us off depending upon our own travelling plans.

I'll kick things off as I'm off to Las Vegas at the end of this month for a 2 week Family Holiday/Wedding.   Not sure I need that many more images of LV as I went last year - but that's the problem with people not checking your Portfolio before they book their wedding.

Didn't get time to get to Downtown LV much last year, so that's the primary target.  

Well have a good trip Chris. Yes I'm jealous. Right now Cromer seems like an exotic location to me. I can barely afford to put fuel in the car. Kitchen utensils anyone?

Stu.

I posted a comment yesterday about not having been to any exotic locations in April/May.

That got me thinking, perhaps we need a thread for upcoming trips to exotic locations booked in the near future - Cheer us up / Tee us off depending upon our own travelling plans.

I'll kick things off as I'm off to Las Vegas at the end of this month for a 2 week Family Holiday/Wedding.   Not sure I need that many more images of LV as I went last year - but that's the problem with people not checking your Portfolio before they book their wedding.

Didn't get time to get to Downtown LV much last year, so that's the primary target.  

Go to the Valley of Fire for amazing natural sandstone formations and petroglyphs. Apparently there is a bar of the same name so if you have already done all the nature and just want downtown you can go there!!! I'm getting bit of a giggle over Las Vegas being "exotic". I grew up in Southern California and people who didn't have money for a big wedding would elope to Las Vegas. I guess the wedding chapels there are pretty exotic. A fun subject if you like to shoot people.

I'm going to Alaska for the second time. Beautiful place with wonderful ANIMALS.

Paulette

I don't plan to travel anymore, but there is one destination I might hit in the coming year: Havana, Cuba. I would fly to Mexico City on my US passport and then use my Irish passport to fly to Havana. Yes, there are other ways to do the trip.

Why Havana? I have been to all Hemingway's drinking spots and consumed the appropriate beverages. Havana would complete the loop. 

http://edoruan2.blogspot.com  Scan down to Paris Pub Crawl.

Thank you for the tips, Philippe. The first time I went to Alaska it was in September and the colors were gorgeous and the BEARS were nice and fat. I went to Brook's Falls and most of the time we were on platforms. This year I am going in July to Silver Salmon Creek Lodge on Lake Clark. They have grizzlies and we will be on the ground. I was told last time that the bears in Denali are more dangerous than the Katmai bears. We will be with guides and the bears will be busy fattening themselves up with clams and salmon. I do know it is always dangerous around bears but I will behave myself so I don't entice them!!!! I'm practicing saying to myself "Don't run and don't look them in the eye".

We will have a few days in Homer with a 90 year old friend who feeds the sandhill cranes. They are in her yard every day. Such gorgeous birds. Last time was my first time shooting wildlife outside of a zoo so I think my technique will be a bit better this time. For me the experience of being with creatures in the wild is the very best thing about it all. I never thought I would be able to do it and I feel very, very lucky to be managing it once a year.

Paulette

Go to the Valley of Fire for amazing natural sandstone formations and petroglyphs. Apparently there is a bar of the same name so if you have already done all the nature and just want downtown you can go there!!! I'm getting bit of a giggle over Las Vegas being "exotic". I grew up in Southern California and people who didn't have money for a big wedding would elope to Las Vegas. I guess the wedding chapels there are pretty exotic. A fun subject if you like to shoot people.

I'm going to Alaska for the second time. Beautiful place with wonderful ANIMALS.

Paulette

Thanks, should be time for a couple of days out in the real world.  Looks pretty close so may well get there.

Earlestown, half way between Manchester and Liverpool, for a family wedding in August. Anyone call that exotic?  :D

Recently been to a wedding in Stafford. Now that is an exotic location. :wacko:

Allan

"Just been down a sewer and in a Victorian pumping station."

From what I recall of the Fleet sewer, you'll need to wash your hands ASAP.

Richard.

Yes, did that but using the camera was a bit tricky in nitrile gloves. They did let me put the hard hat on back-to-front so I could see through the finder though. Northern Outfall sewer at Wick Lane. See my collection in a few days. Unfortunately it wasn't a time to linger so I couldn't get anything usable underground, but not many people get inside Abbey Mills.

Heading to Nha Trang, Ho Chi Minh City and Bali in October. I've been to Bali before but not Vietnam so I'm really looking forward to it - and travelling light with the NEX. I'd welcome any tips for Vietnam if anyone has been there.

Next year back to the UK - if I can save enough!

Earlestown, half way between Manchester and Liverpool, for a family wedding in August. Anyone call that exotic?  :D

Allan

One up on me ;-) 

• 3 weeks later...

Allan

Hey, I lived in Stafford for 19 years and I can confirm it is an exotic location!! Well, compared to Fegg Hayes, Stoke-on-Trent.

John.

Allan

Hey, I lived in Stafford for 19 years and I can confirm it is an exotic location!! Well, compared to Fegg Hayes, Stoke-on-Trent.

John.

Whoops! Now that is a nice area. :blink:  And a good place to come from. :)

Allan

Sunshine Coast Queensland from end June to early Sep for me. Two - three day drive each way. Hardly exotic but it's a nice place to spend a winter. Plenty of photo ops. And besides I grew up there, so it's a bit like going home.

Ken

Sunshine Coast Queensland from end June to early Sep for me. Two - three day drive each way. Hardly exotic but it's a nice place to spend a winter. Plenty of photo ops. And besides I grew up there, so it's a bit like going home.

Ken

Escaping the Melbourne winter, Ken? If you get a chance, pop up Mount Warning.  Great views from the top on a clear day.  I got a great snap of Mount Warning at sunset - so great that real estate agents in Tweed and Byron keep nicking it!  

Sheila

• 2 weeks later...

May not be Exotic but just photographed on the Outer Banks of North Carolina.  Kitty Hawk the birthplace of aviation, Wright Brothers museum and monument.  Bodie Island Lighthouse that was opened for climbing this year, got pics from the top and bottom.  Ate seafood and relaxed on the beach. :)   

Not exactly exotic, but I'm of to Boston  Massachusetts soon! Hope to get out to Cape Cod while I'm there.  I will  be there for the 4th of July celebrations too!  A good chance to  give both of my new (second hand) Cameras a good road test!   :)

Archived