I need a bit of help please

Hi all

I want to start blogging but I have a mild form of Dyslexia but with a bit of work a can get around this.

I have written two post and wondered if someone would be kind enough to have a look and honestly tell me if I am wasting my time and writing gibberish.

http://markbaigent.co.uk/cms/digital-cameras-sensor-size/
http://markbaigent.co.uk/cms/canon-vs-fuji-weight/

Reads fine to me, but a couple of grammatical mistakes.

1st page.....

but it uses colour filters different, (differently or in a different way)

There (are) other factors which have an effect on image quality

micro adjustment options to correctly focus the ('the' twice) image. Consumer cameras do not have this option.

(too (should be to) match the colour reception of our eyes)

2nd page....

arcgitectural freelancer. (should be architectural I believe)

That's me being picky but you did ask. Overall it reads well in my opinion.

Andy

Its fine, blog away. As a point of interest I am not dyslexic but an avid blogger and have found that I have to read and re-ead text that I blog. Even after multiple reads and edits, I will still find mistakes days later. I think its age! My mind reads what I intended to say rather than the actual text I put on the page.

It reads a bit like transcribed speech at times, a little wordily discursive and casually phrased

To me, that sounds like a good description of just how a blog should read, Mark D . . . informal, chatty, but accurate where facts are concerned. Most blogs on common subjects should not read like a dry academic science article. Blogs on photography, by their nature, have to dance around some between these two styles. 

All writers should have a reader they can trust. Everybody on God's Earth makes mistakes. What Andy did on this page is proof reading or copy editing. He did a good job and that's part of what a reader needs to do. The other half of "the read" is about style and content, what to leave in and what to leave out. 

I write a blog: http://edoruan2.blogspot.com  But it's not about photography; it's essays and memoir. I usually use one or two of my snaps as illustrations. I have two readers. Both have worked as professional copy editors. One is a published author from Dublin and has lived and worked in both the UK and America, as have I. So in theory we both know both forms of English. I'm her reader, too. (My Italian might be a touch better than my British English.  :unsure: ) 

Most important, Mark B, I too suffer from dyslexia, and of course I've had the problem all my life. That diagnoses was made by professionals when I was still in early school. 

Yet I am a publisher writer, had a weekly spot on BBC Radio Oxford and actually worked as a copy editor on three major magazines here in NYC. Yes, that was scary. I can't spell anything verbally . . . but I found out that no one in a copy room ever asks anyone else how to spell something. Also, I can't read aloud without falling over words. I can read to myself just fine . . . and I can write. 

As you surely know, dyslexia comes in many forms. It's a hellish business for those who suffer with it. 

My advice? Write the blog . . . but get yourself a reader. (By the way, that [ . . . ] is an ellipsis, not just a bunch of dots.  http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/marks/ellipsis.htm  I'm making an informal use of it here in the forum and sometimes in my blog . . . but since it comes under the heading of style, there is a certain amount of flexibility allowed.)

Edo

The main purpose of a blog is to impart information that may be of use and/or interest to other people. Yours certainly does that. When I bought my NEX6 a couple of weeks ago I had no intention whatsoever of giving up my FF Canon kit. This week, after reading all the posts on this forum about the X-T1, I am seriously considering it. Your blog has been very helpful.

Alan

Good job. I enjoyed your posts. No doubt your back will welcome the change to lighter gear. Mine has.

I have done a lot of freelance writing, and one thing that I learned early on was that it's crucial to have someone proofread your work as Ed advised.

Good job. I enjoyed your posts. No doubt your back will welcome the change to lighter gear. Mine has.

I have done a lot of freelance writing, and one thing that I learned early on was that it's crucial to have someone proofread your work as Ed advised.

I'll heartily agree with that.  I've written millions of words in my time (mostly software and training manuals but a deal of garden and other writing) and it's essential to have a second opinion on the copy.  Even my professional proofreader daughter makes mistakes.  Not many - but if she can err how much worse are the efforts of we mere mortals.

Hi Mark,

I think you are hitting just the right note. Informative, but easily digestible as your style is relaxed and conversational. You manage to convey your feelings and opinions with authenticity and that is engaging and fresh. Keep it up - it' s your personal perspective that will make it interesting.

Hi Mark, welcome to the forum. If you have something to say, as you clearly have, then don't worry about the Dyslexia, just get on with it. We have had a number of blogs from our foreign friends using interesting turns of phrase but still communicating valuable points.

dov

Thanks all, that is very encouraging, I appreciate you all taking the time.

Thank you for the proof read Andy, I did ask and I am grateful for you comments.

I guess finding a reader is now a priority.

It reads a bit like transcribed speech at times, a little wordily discursive and casually phrased

I write a blog: http://edoruan2blogspot.com  But it's not about photography; it's essays and memoir. I usually use one or two of my snaps as illustrations. I have two readers. Both have worked as professional copy editors. One is a published author from Dublin and has lived and worked in both the UK and America, as have I. So in theory we both know both forms of English. I'm her reader, too. (My Italian might be a touch better than my British English.  :unsure: ) 

Edo

Ed

You missed out what I call a full stop and you probably call a period in your blog's url - edoruan2.blogspot.com. Otherwise I was being recommended sites about Duran Duran or Dorian Grey, and your blog is a much better read! :)

G

Its fine, blog away. As a point of interest I am not dyslexic but an avid blogger and have found that I have to read and re-ead text that I blog. Even after multiple reads and edits, I will still find mistakes days later. I think its age! My mind reads what I intended to say rather than the actual text I put on the page.

So did I!! ;)

Yours pedantically, John :)

Archived