Should I tamper with theses photos?

As I mentioned before I headed to the zoo yesterday and spent 3 1/2 hours with the polar bears and arctic wolves.

First, on this pic of the polar bear (first is the whole image, 2nd a compressed 100% piece) will Alamy realize that is the bear's breath and not some smudge?

alamybearbreath.jpg alamybearbreath100.jpg

On this one of the wolves, should I attempt to remove the hanging branch on the wolf's face, or leave well enough alone.

alamywolves.jpg alamywolves100.jpg

Thanks, JIll

As long as both animals are in sharp focus I can't see where you should have any issues with QC. Personally I would try cloning out the branch and if the result looks natural use it. If not then submit as is. May I ask where you took these?

I removed the flare from the bear. Not sure how I missed that. +1

Here are the revised wolf pics:

alamywolvesredone.jpg alamywolvesredone100.jpg

Lynn:  I took these at the Toronto Zoo. Its one of the largest in the world (750 acres) so the habitats are quite natural. Although for the polar bear, his mate was in for a physical, so he was in an enclosed area at the time I took the picture and I had to clone out about 8 strands of hotwire that went right across the picture. Luckily it was all in front of the snow, so not too hard.

I think the wolf came out okay. I was worried as trying to match his hair on his face to the tone and the direction of the hair was challenging, but I just did it bit by bit.

I have to say I'm viewing on a small tablet and didn't notice the flare but the wolf looks great now. Aside from the hotwire that you eliminated, the zoo enclosures are so natural that I had to ask since it looked like you were uncomfortably close to your subjects.

I have to say I'm viewing on a small tablet and didn't notice the flare but the wolf looks great now. Aside from the hotwire that you eliminated, the zoo enclosures are so natural that I had to ask since it looked like you were uncomfortably close to your subjects.

These two animals are two of my favourites to watch. The enclosure for the polar bears is 7 acres and the wolves have 5 acres.  I lucked out with the bear on his haunches as he was stretching to try and see his mate who was enclosed out of sight on the other side.  They put up the hotwire so he wouldn't pace at the entrance to the enclosure and when they let her out, she would still be slightly woozy, so not together until she was totally recovered from her sedation.

I can't see why you would want to submit these images to Alamy, or any other agency really, with or without digital manipulation. One should be hyper critical with images/quality and I can't see these as valid in an incredibly crowded marketplace.

Regards

Richard 

I can't see why you would want to submit these images to Alamy, or any other agency really, with or without digital manipulation. One should be hyper critical with images/quality and I can't see these as valid in an incredibly crowded marketplace.

Regards

Richard 

Actually we usually only answer questions here and discuss images vis-a-vis QC, hence the name of the forum.

We don't usually criticise each others' images for content; we make our own editorial decisions.

Regards

Richard 

Actually we usually only answer questions here and discuss images vis-a-vis QC.

We don't usually criticise each others' images for content; we make our own editorial decisions.

"We" don't, in fact.

I think I was making a valid and constructive point there. It is hard sometimes to accept legitimate criticism but, I know from experiencing it myself, it is the only way one improves.

Oh, yes, that is the polite version too!!

I think it is also polite to sign ones posts..

Regards

Richard

The wolf definitely looks 100% better without the distracting twig. It's no secret that wildlife photography has become incredibly competitive. However, these shots might appeal to a buyer looking specifically for photos of animals in the Toronto (or whatever) zoo. Perhaps you have some images showing the zoo's spacious enclosures, plus some front-on shots of the bears and a few curious Homo sapiens watching the animals. These might round out the set. Good luck. It's a jungle out there.

Regards

Richard 

Yes Richard, t is an incredibly crowded marketplace, but I am not going to stop doing stuff I like just because of that. Who knows what buyers are looking for? The rear shot of a polar bear standing might be it. Ever since Jeff posted that picture of the old futon, I have decided to quit overthinking what will and will not sell as you just don't know.

And I can just go out and photograph what I want to photograph cause beating yourself in the head over which picture is the right one will give you an ulcer.

Later I will probably put all the nature photos under a separate pseudo. Heck, I have about 300 pics of the wolves, as they are my favourite subject. Fascinating animals. Don't think I"ll upload them all though.  :)

Wolves outsell futons on Alamy, Jill. :)  And I don't see using an odd, off-beat sale of Jeff as proving any point. What he says about his own approach to subjects he most often shoots is well worth listening to . . .  but if he should sell an image of an old shoe, a futon or Elizabeth II, it proves nothing. Jeff, with 100 thousand images goes to bat a lot more often than we do. 

I seem to remember someone on here saying they had seen a search on Alamy for "Dog Sh*t".   That is something I would not have thought of photographing before and would not have thought of as being photogenic either.

Sorry not being rude just quoting.

Allan

Oh, droppings do sell well ^_^

CWK4HN.jpg

Click on picture for a larger view...................... just a picture...... it doesn't smell -_-

People looked a bit strange at me when they saw me crawling on my knees around it trying to light up the shadows with a reflector :D

Cheers,

Philippe

Is this what is called a sh!te picture ;)  :D

I seem to remember someone on here saying they had seen a search on Alamy for "Dog Sh*t".   That is something I would not have thought of photographing before and would not have thought of as being photogenic either.

Sorry not being rude just quoting.

Allan

Oh, droppings do sell well ^_^

CWK4HN.jpg

Click on picture for a larger view...................... just a picture...... it doesn't smell -_-

People looked a bit strange at me when they saw me crawling on my knees around it trying to light up the shadows with a reflector :D

Cheers,

Philippe

I can imagine!  But then this image does have a genuine medical reason to generate a sale - could easily imagine it being reproduced in a veterinary text or similar.  Not something that I'll be adding to my bookshelf anytime soon, though!

Oh! And back on-topic: yes, a worthy job with the twig cloning, Jill.

Archived