Should I tamper with theses photos?

I was privileged to teach with Keith Arnatt for many years. One of the great conceptual artists and latterly a ground-breaking photographer. 

file:///Users/peted/Desktop/orange.jpg

These images were used in a number of exhibitions.

I seem to remember someone on here saying they had seen a search on Alamy for "Dog Sh*t".   That is something I would not have thought of photographing before and would not have thought of as being photogenic either.

Sorry not being rude just quoting.

Allan

Oh, droppings do sell well ^_^

CWK4HN.jpg

Click on picture for a larger view...................... just a picture...... it doesn't smell -_-

People looked a bit strange at me when they saw me crawling on my knees around it trying to light up the shadows with a reflector :D

Cheers,

Philippe

I can imagine!  But then this image does have a genuine medical reason to generate a sale - could easily imagine it being reproduced in a veterinary text or similar.  Not something that I'll be adding to my bookshelf anytime soon, though!

Oh! And back on-topic: yes, a worthy job with the twig cloning, Jill.

It's the horse I feel sorry for. :blink:  Hope equine round worm can't be transmitted to humans?

Allan

^^Only if you eat lasagne from Iceland (the store, not the country!)

Anyhoo - no.  Every species has it's own delightful and distinct variation for ingestion.

Can we get back on-topic now?  I'm about to have me tea!

Apparently canine worms can be transmitted to humans. :o

Allan

My last word on this subject

I seem to remember someone on here saying they had seen a search on Alamy for "Dog Sh*t".   That is something I would not have thought of photographing before and would not have thought of as being photogenic either.

Sorry not being rude just quoting.

Allan

Oh, droppings do sell well ^_^

CWK4HN.jpg

Click on picture for a larger view...................... just a picture...... it doesn't smell -_-

People looked a bit strange at me when they saw me crawling on my knees around it trying to light up the shadows with a reflector :D

Cheers,

Philippe

It looks as if no one wants to tamper with this particular image. Goes to show that stock photography truly is a shameless profession. Hopefully, another Alamy contributor was around to get a shot of you down on your knees. If so, he/she might have a best seller on their hands. ^_^

....... and now back to Jill ;)

Jill, I also love shooting zoo / wildlife park animals and I also practice wildlife photography in the field.

Here's a little tip: my way of shooting in a zoo versus in the field doesn't differ that much, apart from the fact that I'm usually in a hide when in the true wild. Key Is concentrating on a nice setting with no disturbing elements, a pleasing background and ideal light instead of focusing all the time on the animal, no matter where it stands. Once you found such a spot, just wait, wait, wait ....... till the animal steps in that setting and shoot (hopefully it does show some interesting behaviour ;) ).

That way, you'll end up with better images where all elements fall into place. During the day - due to the moving sun - you'll be forced to look for different spots. Just concentrate on those which offer the best light at that particular time.

C7F8KD.jpg   DHDNG4.jpg   CC72T1.jpg   D8M77R.jpg   CTHFF0.jpg

Click on pictures for a larger view.

If you visit this zoo very often, take your time observing the animals. Animals in enclosures will show a patterned behaviour, so it shouldn't be too hard to predict where they'll show up in the morning, noon, evening. Many species will follow the sunlit spots when it's chilly. Learn the subtle sign language of the species (position of the ears, curling of the lip, tail position, ...), that way you can predict when they should start mating, fighting or showing submissive/dominant behaviour. Try to cover all those signs and kinds of behaviour. Much more interesting than simple portraits. Talk to the zoo keeper that cares for the species you're interested in. They might give you great tips on the animal's daily routine.

Hope this helps ;)

Cheers,

Philippe

Thanks Philippe. I do go alot as I pay an annual membership so can go whenever I like, as many times as I like.  I did spend 3 and a half hours just with the bears and wolves. The bear was extremely active, hardly stood still for a second as he was so determined to find out where his mate had gone. He did put on a good show. Rolled in the snow, buried himself in a pile of water and ice, and paced the hotwire. He was right below me when playing in the water, so couldn't get any real good shots as there was glass in front of me. Winter at the zoo is a little different. The keepers don't do their daily spiel on their animals like they do starting in April. I have considered emailing or calling and asking if I can do some behind the scene shots. I figure all they can say is no. Just travelling with a crew that checks fences, etc would be an interesting day.

The spot where I took the wolf photo is my favourite because it puts the wolves above where I am standing so I am at the wolf's height when taking the shot. And there are no fences in the way.

I am looking forward to the spring when I will venture to Algonquin Park to catch some moose shots.  They all come out in early spring to eat the grass along the side of the road, as it is the first to crop up.  Nice shots of the velvet molting off of their antlers.

Jill

I haven't ever photographed in the Copenhagen Zoo. Perhaps I should take it up and pay the annual membership. Good advice is given in this thread. Should have been there yesterday. Never thought the killing of a giraffe would hit the international media headlines in this way. Tonight the Zoo Internet site has been hacked and has been down for long periods. Sorry, not to hijack the thread for a discussion of this. I sure am an animal lover, but a realistic one....

Archived