Image order in portfolio randomly re-organised

Sally Robertson

Question

Hello, I've just noticed that my images have suddenly been re-organised in a randomised way. Before that they were in order of upload. Sometimes the order of the most recent upload would change slightly within itself, but otherwise the images were sequential from first upload to the most recent ones.

Is anyone else seeing their images re-organised this way? It's not necessarily a bad thing in that it makes it kind of randomly interesting to look at with a wide variety of images across a page. The main disadvantage is I had a mental map of kind of where things were before based on chronological order. I can obviously still find things by doing searches and with only 470 images I don't have a lot to search through at this stage. I'm just wondering what the logic behind this re-organisation is?

8 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Is this thread about the Alamy portfolio page?

What you get when you click on the forum link?

Or something else?

The link on the forum page - 'images', under your name. I did ask Alamy, and had the following response - 'I believe our search engine has already defaulted to ‘relevant’ however I know this is being reviewed internally by our teams. So hopefully in the future this will be updated'

Alex

13 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

...and also when a buyer might click on a pseudonym under an image. Relevant is now the default but now there seems to be a new kind of 'relevant'.

31 minutes ago, NYCat said:

We also seem to have lost the "other images by same contributor" button.

I'm still getting this, it only appears after a search, there is the Same contributor 'hover' display on the thumbnail and then a selection of 'Stock photos by the same contributor' are displayed below the main image, with the 'View all' option. However if I go back to the same image after clicking on 'view all' it's not there and is replaced by 'Similar stock images', by anyone in other words. Perhaps it is work in progress.

It’s just plain wrong! 
I wanted to see if my yesterday upload is on sale & thanks to you all, I knew to click on latest or I’d never have known. I’ve used the forum link forever to do this quickly.

2 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

I'm still getting this, it only appears after a search, there is the Same contributor 'hover' display on the thumbnail and then a selection of 'Stock photos by the same contributor' are displayed below the main image, with the 'View all' option. However if I go back to the same image after clicking on 'view all' it's not there and is replaced by 'Similar stock images', by anyone in other words. Perhaps it is work in progress.

I see. Thanks.

Paulette

3 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

It’s just plain wrong! 
I wanted to see if my yesterday upload is on sale & thanks to you all, I knew to click on latest or I’d never have known. I’ve used the forum link forever to do this quickly.

Agree 100% Betty 

If something is changing or it's just a glitch, it would be good if Alamy would be kind enough to let us know😉

Carol

• Love 1

8 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Is this thread about the Alamy portfolio page?

Or something else?

If I click on the forum link to my images then the option to change to 'Newest' works. If I go to my portfolio from the dashboard, clicking on 'reset order to most recent' doesn't. In the second scenario I'm seeing images from as far back as November 2023 on the first page.

I would appreciate Alamy contributing to this thread.  As I've written, I have a link to my main pseudonym on one of my web sites and have used that link for more than a decade.  As of 03/04/24 it is better than it was on 03/01, but not much?  My thoughts on why this is happening are not important, but again I and I believe a lot of other contributors would appreciate knowing what is going on.  

I did write on the Forum more, that a month ago, about strange things going on with the Alamy.com site?

Chuck

Just tried the drop down menus and it does not really solve anything, just re-sorts the order to date of photo, no option for "sort by date uploaded." 

Edited by Chuck Nacke
addition

This thread isn't about the actual Alamy 'Portfolio' page but anyway I just had a look at mine. Like everyone I have one even if I don't make use of it though I did play around with it when we were first offered it.  I see that there is the option to 'Reset order to most recent' and if I click on that there is the message "Reset the order of your images. This will order them by date uploaded with the most recent first". So I did that, I wish I'd taken a screenshot before I did so because it definitely changed quite radically but it's now a mish-mash, certainly not related to date uploaded, seemingly unrelated to anything with no sign of my most recently uploaded batch from 26th February. It seems that there's no going back though because you only get that single option to reset to date uploaded which doesn't seem to work anyway.

25 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

This thread isn't about the actual Alamy 'Portfolio' page but anyway I just had a look at mine. Like everyone I have one even if I don't make use of it though I did play around with it when we were first offered it.  I see that there is the option to 'Reset order to most recent' and if I click on that there is the message "Reset the order of your images. This will order them by date uploaded with the most recent first". So I did that, I wish I'd taken a screenshot before I did so because it definitely changed quite radically but it's now a mish-mash, certainly not related to date uploaded, seemingly unrelated to anything with no sign of my most recently uploaded batch from 26th February. It seems that there's no going back though because you only get that single option to reset to date uploaded which doesn't seem to work anyway.

+1

Yep, it's completely scrambled and in my opinion doesn't mean anything anymore. Not worth accessing. 

Jim.

48 minutes ago, Broad Norfolk said:

+1

Yep, it's completely scrambled and in my opinion doesn't mean anything anymore. Not worth accessing. 

Jim.

Ah, I see that it is this new 'Relevant' sort order, the same as if you go from the Forum link but seemingly you don't have the option to switch to 'Newest' in the admin area for the Portfolio page as you can from the public search results, but perhaps I'm missing something, I just don't go there. I was never very enamoured with it particularly when there was no attempt to fix the obvious deficiencies. Still, if it mattered to me I'd be pretty upset because I'm now stuck with it.

Edited by Harry Harrison

1 hour ago, Harry Harrison said:

The first page of my Portfolio remains in the order I arranged it years ago. Like many, I haven't done much to it. On the second page it goes to what I see from my forum link.

Paulette

3 hours ago, NYCat said:

The first page of my Portfolio remains in the order I arranged it years ago.

Well that's good to know, at least it doesn't mess with those. They simply need to give the option for 'Newest' in the Portfolio admin area so you can at least switch between the two, but as I said I may be missing something because it appears that has never been there.

Edited by Harry Harrison

Possible workaround??

Update: This workaround alters the results of an Alamy "Newest" search for a contributor's images (either from the Alamy homepage or by clicking on the Avatar link in the forum) so they appear in submission date order rather than date taken order. The workaround will not work on a contributor's portfolio view.

Looking at the full URL when selecting "Newest" I can see that the images are being sorted by DateTaken (not the date of submission).

If you want to see your images sorted according to the submission date instead, then remove the -datetaken part from the URL by editing the end of the "Newest" URL in the browser's address bar from;

....&sortBy=newest-datetaken&st=12

to;

...&sortBy=newest&st=12

If you want to keep that order, create a shortcut or bookmark with the modified URL. It seems to "stick" if going to next page too. 

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

Possible workaround??

Looking at the full URL when selecting "Newest" I can see that the images are being sorted by DateTaken (not the date of submission).

If you want to see your images sorted according to the submission date instead, then remove the -taketaken part from the URL by editing the end of the "Newest" URL in the browser's address bar from;

to;

...&sortBy=newest&st=12

If you want to keep that order, create a shortcut or bookmark with the modified URL. It seems to "stick" if going to next page too. 

Mark

Yes, that works Mark. 👍

You made a little typo where -taketaken should be -datetaken but the meaning was clear and easy to understand.  Thanks.

5 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

Possible workaround??

If you want to see your images sorted according to the submission date instead, then remove the -taketaken part from the URL by editing the end of the "Newest" URL in the browser's address bar from;

to;

...&sortBy=newest&st=12

Mark

Cheers Mark, works a treat 

59 minutes ago, John Richmond said:

Yes, that works Mark. 👍

You made a little typo where -taketaken should be -datetaken but the meaning was clear and easy to understand.  Thanks.

Excellent. Thanks I've now corrected my earlier post.

Mark

• Like 1

19 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

Possible workaround??

If you want to see your images sorted according to the submission date instead, then remove the -datetaken part from the URL by editing the end of the "Newest" URL in the browser's address bar from;

to;

...&sortBy=newest&st=12

Mark

Wonderful. Thank you.

Paulette

On 02/04/2024 at 06:17, Sally Robertson said:

Hello, I've just noticed that my images have suddenly been re-organised in a randomised way. Before that they were in order of upload. Sometimes the order of the most recent upload would change slightly within itself, but otherwise the images were sequential from first upload to the most recent ones.

Is anyone else seeing their images re-organised this way? It's not necessarily a bad thing in that it makes it kind of randomly interesting to look at with a wide variety of images across a page. The main disadvantage is I had a mental map of kind of where things were before based on chronological order. I can obviously still find things by doing searches and with only 470 images I don't have a lot to search through at this stage. I'm just wondering what the logic behind this re-organisation is?

Hi Sally, This seems to have happened to me today also. I guess I can live with it, though (to me) it does look a bit messy .... 

On 02/04/2024 at 07:52, ReeRay said:

Under "Search by Image" right hand side >select "newest"

That hasn't worked for me .... 

Just now, Avpics said:

Worryingly I now only have six images under my contributor filter. 

If I click on my forum number (currently 49228) I get 'Sorry, we couldn’t find any results'. Hopefully that means that somebody is in there fiddling and maybe the database will need to update.

12 minutes ago, Avpics said:

If I click on my forum number (currently 49228) I get 'Sorry, we couldn’t find any results'. Hopefully that means that somebody is in there fiddling and maybe the database will need to update.

Thankfully now corrected.