support newspapers when they offer really good deals

we now subscribe to New York Times & Washington Post
$1 US/week, IMO that equates to what they pay us, so tit-for-tat;
think of them as information sources for stock photo ideas...?
Miami Herald at $12 US/mo, nope...
Edited by Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg
  • Like 1

I subscribe to the print edition of The Times at a rather painful £67 per month. My days of accessing an introductory offer are long gone. The cost is painful but I do want to support and access good quality journalism, which seems to be the exception rather than the rule in a free-for-all social media world. I also want to have the printed paper in my hand. I've found that I read more extensively and thoroughly of the printed version than I do of the on-line version, where it's all to easy to skip unpromising item headlines. In the printed version one's eye scans and takes in items which might otherwise be missed.

One aspect I do like about the online version of The Times is their excellent daily News in Pictures feature which shows off the photographer's art. I enjoy seeing photos printed in the printed version, but there are so many more and so vividly displayed in the on-line edition. Alamy photographers feature often in this section, as is so well documented in this forum on most days by Bryan.

I also support my local newspaper, the Bolton (Evening) News by subscribing to the digital version. It's not perfect but it provides a more stable access to local news than the oft wild ramblings, rantings and outright disinformation of Social Media.

I rarely, if ever, go out searching for stock photo opportunities nowadays but the traditional press has been a strong source of inspiration and guidance in times past. Long may it continue, even facing the teeth of the gale of online sources.

• Like 1

I really appreciate the freedom that a printed paper gives. No hunting for wifi signal, just settle down where the day presents and letting your eyes roam around the page selecting a few pieces to read is entirely different from scanning online offerings. When finished reading we have useful functions like fire lighting or polishing windows. My other half buys The Times most days, but only ever does the crossword and/or sedoco, so I don't pay a penny. That is a good deal! If fact Jane gets it free from Waitrose with her shopping as often as not. I avoid social media for information. Our 35 year old son relies entirely on social media and conspiracy theory sources without any reference to Newspapers or TV /radio news. He is so uninformed, it is frightening. He is very bright but talks so stupid!

Edited by Robert M Estall
  • Like 1

I took out a 6 month trial sub to the Times for £1 when I was away in Mexico. 

I decided that it was over-priced.  Too much blatant propaganda about Culture Wars and other rightwing obsessions. 

I think that I will subscribe to the East Anglian Daily Times online edition just to help keep tabs on local news. 

Edited by geogphotos
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, Steve F said:

I subscribe to The Guardian online for £2.49 a month, seems very reasonable.

Same here except I pay a fiver and my wife pays the same. It's not much for what The Guardian does in terms of investigative journalism. Most of the rest of the British mainstream newpaper media (apart from The Mirror) is full of right wing propaganda. 

Edited by MDM
  • Love 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, geogphotos said:

I took out a 6 month trial sub to the Times for £1 when I was away in Mexico. 

I decided that it was over-priced.  Too much blatant propaganda about Culture Wars and other rightwing obsessions. 

I think that I will subscribe to the East Anglian Daily Times online edition just to help keep tabs on local news. 

Interesting you have the perception of The Times being too right wing. I've always thought it was politically balanced and centerist. If The Times is right wing what does that make The Telegraph?

However, Guardian, Times or Telegraph are all preferable to the unregulated wilderness of social media as a source of news and opinion. I truly fear for my childrens' generation.

• Love 1

30 minutes ago, Joseph Clemson said:

Interesting you have the perception of The Times being too right wing. I've always thought it was politically balanced and centerist. If The Times is right wing what does that make The Telegraph?

However, Guardian, Times or Telegraph are all preferable to the unregulated wilderness of social media as a source of news and opinion. I truly fear for my childrens' generation.

I wouldn't go near the Telegraph. The Guardian, for me, is too much about opinion and comment.

Let's face it newspapers no longer provide much  news. 

That is why I will probably restrict my subs to the local paper.

Edited by geogphotos

33 minutes ago, Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg said:
tip on extending el cheapo introductory offers:
when they end & you are asked to pay more,
decline the higher pricing,
the wifey finds, at least with NYT,
they re-offer the introductory pricing over & over !!

Looking at this from the other side, is it any wonder that the news media pay us a pittance for our images? 

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Sorry to say it has been weeks months I last held a printed newspaper, I read a selection of digital news outlets several times a day.  I often subscribe to digital versions of the NYT and I do miss Sunday coffee with the printed Sunday times in front of me.  The major subscriptions I maintain have been VANITY FAIR and VOUGE.  The latter was mainly because of the

quality of the printing, but that has gone down dramatically this year and I probably will not continue to subscribe. 

Chuck

To be clear, I have 18 news sources bookmarked on YouTube. I have a payment plan with the NYTimes and the Washington Post. I've given up paper newspapers.

It's hard not to turn this conversation into politics but most of you already know that my father was a Democratic Brooklyn Congressman. I dip into Fox News and a few other sources on the other side. 

Edo

1 hour ago, MDM said:

Looking at this from the other side...

$1 US/wk = $52 US/yr from out-of-town digital only subscribers;
($0 extra costs to add digital subscribers...?)
IMO newspapers quite chuffed to get that...
its $0 subscribers & non-interested non-readers that "hurt" newspapers...

49 minutes ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Sorry to say it has been weeks months I last held a printed newspaper

It's been maybe ten years, for me, since I last had newsprint blackening my fingers. Magazines, too, seem to belong to a distant past...

1 hour ago, John Morrison said:

It's been maybe ten years, for me, since I last had newsprint blackening my fingers. Magazines, too, seem to belong to a distant past...

I occasionally rescue newspapers from a neighbour's recycling bag. They are often unread. My better half likes doing the crossword puzzles, and the newsprint comes in handy for wrapping food scraps for the composting bin. There's more than enough free bad news and political propaganda online, most of it harmful to one's mental health. Magazines have become far too expensive, and they take up too much valuable space in the house. End of rant... 🙃

Edited by John Mitchell

On 20/10/2023 at 14:37, John Morrison said:

Hey John, 

Just got my new issues of VANITY FAIR and VOUGE.  I was born a magazine photographer and I cannot live without them around.  Too bad that the printing quality has gone away.

Chuck

1 hour ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Hey John, 

Just got my new issues of VANITY FAIR and VOUGE.  I was born a magazine photographer and I cannot live without them around.  Too bad that the printing quality has gone away.

Chuck

Like you Chuck, I started working with magazines right from the beginning of my career.  My first assignment was when I was 21.  40 plus years later, I am still shooting magazine assignments.  My income is 75% derived from the print media.  I feel it is only just, that I support them as much as I can.  I am sure most will die out by the time I’m done shooting.  

I quit my paper for 8 months because they raised the rates so high. I have recently resubscribed but for only 2 days a week. I used to have magazine subs too, but they have priced me out. I just buy off the stand very occasionally.

It comes down to where I want to spend my extra…I’ll buy a brush or tube of watercolor paint with no qualms. I can buy a lot of art supplies for what a year’s newspaper sub costs, although being totally without a physical newspaper, smeary ink & all, is like cutting off my arm.

Nothing like a cup of coffee & my paper in the morning. I do subscribe to the online edition from the state I lived most of my life in. Not the same, because after I read the physical paper, I do Suduko & crosswords.

Edited by Betty LaRue

8 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I quit my paper for 8 months because they raised the rates so high. I have recently resubscribed but for only 2 days a week. I used to have magazine subs too, but they have priced me out. I just buy off the stand very occasionally.

It comes down to where I want to spend my extra…I’ll buy a brush or tube of watercolor paint with no qualms. I can buy a lot of art supplies for what a year’s newspaper sub costs, although being totally without a physical newspaper, smeary ink & all, is like cutting off my arm.

Nothing like a cup of coffee & my paper in the morning. I do subscribe to the online edition from the state I lived most of my life in. Not the same, because after I read the physical paper, I do Suduko & crosswords.

I buy puzzle books and have fun doing puzzles while having breakfast.

When I first began with Sudoku I could do only one puzzle during breakfast.  Now I can do four but it takes me to lunch time.🤪

Allan

• Love 1