Bragging Rights

Roadrunner

11 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Most of my captures are found. I go out with a camera and hope something pops up. But this image of the Seattle ferry going to Vancouver was planned. And it's a repeat seller. 

evening-ferry-leaving-seattle-for-bainbr

I remember that one, Edo. Very nice. However, the ferry is probably heading to Victoria. Unfortunately, there isn't any ferry service between Seattle and Vancouver.

20 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

I remember that one, Edo. Very nice. However, the ferry is probably heading to Victoria. Unfortunately, there isn't any ferry service between Seattle and Vancouver.

Oh this is exactly what happened to me when a forum member noticed I had mis-identified a skink. It is so helpful to be informed.

Paulette

49 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Thanks for reminding me of that, John. Actually, I have the ferry going to Bainbridge Island in the cap, which I think is correct. That's a nice part of the world and no rainier than here. I could go for some of that wild salmon. 

Yes, the ferry could easily be going to Bainbridge Island. The Seattle area is definitely a great place to visit. Wish I could get down there more often. The weather is similar to Vancouver's -- sunny when it isn't raining. 🌦️

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Sultanpepa said:

Pleased with this one because of the back story. Poor weather conditions and unsure of an accurate arrival time meant a very early start. After a few hours wait the HHS Queen Elizabeth can into view on Loch Long at Glenmallan for loading of ordinance. Between times I managed to get myself into an off road parking spot, inadvertently beating a road closure and subsequently being checked out and name taken by CID. They let me stay because of their mistakes but warned me that they may have to return and move me on. They didn't return though and I had my news pictures. Unfortunately they didn't sell. Wasted journey? Not quite. I enjoyed the trip, the ship was impressive and I have some nice images of her. This is my favourite.

2HXPWAX.jpg

That must have been a real thrill. I would have loved to be there. I’ve been up Loch Long on a small boat, but we split off to Loch Goil and spent a night off Carrick Castle. The whole area is fascinating to me, even the quiet kind of stuff. 

• Like 1

biggest thrill prolly 2000
driving I-395 on way to afternoon in The Everglades
corner of me eye did double-take one of billboards
overlooking busy raised highway had OMG moment
shouted to friends, "THAT'S MY PHOTO!!!"
back then a billboard paid $3K+ gross...
(photo below is same ad different location)

• Love 1

Well.... This is my highest grossing image ever (single sale). Nothing special, really the sort of shot that I wouldn't normally bother putting on Alamy, I just liked the symmetry of the canal locks. 

twin-canal-locks-with-lock-gates-and-gre

This is one of my repeat sellers and one of only a few images I have licensed from Iceland. It's difficult to vie for position to photograph at a lot of famous locations. And this photographer was in prime position and wasn't getting out of the way. So I took the shot more out of frustration than anything. Thanks dude!

a-professional-photographer-taking-a-pic

Also a repeat seller. One of few times time I actually asked if I could take someone's picture.

a-guide-presenting-a-bottle-of-rum-disti

• Like 3

On 22/09/2023 at 18:32, Mr Standfast said:

Look at all the Stealth Fighters on the deck!

Yup! Only the Russian forces cannot see them.

Allan

A pre stock photography image taken to offer to aviation magazines/fun (remember that!), given for free to the Reds, used by them in publications and presentations found me in receipt of a base visit where I got to see it in the wild. Since joining and uploading to Alamy this and images gained from that base visit have sold numerous times so the time spent searching out a vantage point that day has worked out well.

raf-red-arrows-trailing-red-white-and-blue-smoke-as-they-pass-over-D40HFF.jpg

presentation-by-ruth-shackleton-in-the-briefing-room-inside-the-offices-of-the-base-of-the-royal-air-force-red-arrows-display-team-at-raf-scampton-2PE9P78.jpg

• Love 3
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Phil Robinson said:

C1HB14.jpg

Perhaps my least expected success, this has been used on two book covers.
'Dark Pedagogy' and
'Varieties of Right-Wing Extremism in Europe'.

Yes, it's a mushroom.

Intriguing titles both. I wonder how their designers searched for this. I can see some keywords like left to right and divergence or branching off leading to the second cover.

But Dark Pedagogy? They do have a Facebook page. But I may have to read the book to understand what this weird secret society (their own words) is all about.

Maybe the keyword underside? Or unrecognizable pattern?

wim

• Love 1

15 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Intriguing titles both. I wonder how their designers searched for this. I can see some keywords like left to right and divergence or branching off leading to the second cover.

But Dark Pedagogy? They do have a Facebook page. But I may have to read the book to understand what this weird secret society (their own words) is all about.

Maybe the keyword underside? Or unrecognizable pattern?

wim

That's exactly what I wondered when it sold both times -what search terms did they use?
It shows the importance of thinking hard about keywords - even if you can't work out which ones worked.
(If you do get round to reading the book I'd be fascinated to know what it's all about)

Edited by Phil Robinson

4 hours ago, Phil Robinson said:

That's exactly what I wondered when it sold both times -what search terms did they use?
It shows the importance of thinking hard about keywords - even if you can't work out which ones worked.
(If you do get round to reading the book I'd be fascinated to know what it's all about)

Pity there's no direct mail here any more. My email: [my first name]@[my last name].com

wim