Thoughts on how the new forum is working

As we're now into the second week of the new forum what are your views on how it is working?

My view is that the number of posts seem to be lower, but of higher quality. And the amount of nasty or antagonistic posting has been lower. But I'm fairly new and don't hold any rights to longevity on forum posting, which seems to have been a token of value on the old forum.

What do others think?

Ken

Must admit, I tend to agree overall. Yes there are fewer threads and loosing the archive is a shame. That said, I really like the fact I am dealing with "real peeps", it does tend to allow me to attach the right amount of "authority" to an answer or thoughts.

(I also like the fact I actually feel someone is reading my replies, so often in the other place the threads would continue without any consideration of slightest hint that my input had been noticed.. but then maybe I'm just paranoid ;-) )

Edit:  (After a -ve feedback). Even if they don't like my views, at least i know it's been read... ;-) 

In general, I like it. I was a relatively new, infrequent poster/frequent lurker on the old forum so I didn't really get involved. As a result, I've got no baggage (for want of a better term).

I'm on a few other fora that use the same underlying code so I'm familiar with the look and feel of the thing.

The like/dislike thing is a bit meh but comes with the above forum-coding territory I guess. Having said that though, I'm a doc in a former life and post on medical fora with the like/dislike facility but it only applies to posts, not to the poster which to me, is a far better way of doing things. A more "professional" way, if you like.

I also find the forum a useful source of providers of home improvements.

From what i can see it's working well and yes the petty squabbling has not raised it's ugly head. The conversations seem

more intelligent and too the point.

Loosing the archive is a big negative for me as i used that instead of asking basic questions which are now going to be repeated by new members.

The only niggle i have is that members should be given the choice to either give access to their portfolio or be able to hide it from view. Many regular knowledgeable

people have either disappeared or have found a way to log on with zero images showing. Personally I am happy for my portfolio to be exposed but can understand

some people wanting to protect their pseudonyms.  

Regards

Craig

Nice to see some new faces on the forum, hopefully some of the old members will come back.

I am still trying to find my way around, but do not like the similarities with FB!

David Davies

PS. I don't want any new furniture or fittings!

Yes, nice to see less squabbling, and it does seem a slightly less daunting place these days.

On a design level, I'd prefer a way to tailor the interface, e.g. smaller text etc. There seems to be an awful lot of white/wasted space on threads.

Maybe an FAQ section for the repeated basic questions would work as the archive has disappeared?

I think the FAQ is an excellent idea, used on many forums. Alamy would have to organize/manage such a feature I would envisage. They might feel this is too much effort thought for what is in effect a very secondary function to their efforts in selling our images.

Ken

(I also like the fact I actually feel someone is reading my replies, so often in the other place the threads would continue without any consideration of slightest hint that my input had been noticed.. but then maybe I'm just paranoid ;-) )

You're just paranoid... ;)

Personally I am happy for my portfolio to be exposed but can understand some people wanting to protect their pseudonyms.  

I'm at Alamy to sell my pics so I can't imagine any reason not to let them be seen.

Alan

Does anybody else get a permanent 'loading' window on the iPhone? Or is the niggle peculiar to me?

Andy

This is a perennial problem with all browsers and devices. You sometimes have to switch and switch about.

You're just paranoid... ;)

>Personally I am happy for my portfolio to be exposed but can understand some people wanting to protect their pseudonyms.  

I'm at Alamy to sell my pics so I can't imagine any reason not to let them be seen.

Alan

Didn't some people say on the old forum that there were certain images that they didn't want tracing back to themselves for various reasons.

I wasn't really bothered by squabbling on the other forum. It seemed easy enough to ignore. Perhaps I missed much of it. Personally I preferred the impersonal nature of the old forum.  I have a feeling that this kind of setup will eventually become quite  cliquey (If that's a word :)  ).

As for being permanently linked to our images: surely we want buyers to see our images - not our competitors.

I much prefer the new format, I don't see why it should become cliquey. Some of the threads in the old forum did put me off contributing sometimes. I also find the new forum more user friendly/easier to use,  than the old one.

Well it certainly looks a whole lot better and the frequent/regular posters seem pretty much the same group. The Private Message function has gone; I used to use it a little in the "have a quiet word in your ear" kind of way, but I think this was open to abusive as well as constructive use. I'm glad to see most of the SPAM gone, but a few of the cunning devils will find a way.

Posting the size of portfolio helps us spot the few with a lot to say, but not very active as contributors. Size isn't always the most vital factor of course.

Robert

I quite like this new format as I get used to it.

One thing I have noticed is that there does not seem to be as many images found. Not sure if that is down to the ones that did all the finding have not moved over or down to low sales this month!

You havent seen any squabbling because I havent posted that much. ;)

What I dont like is that people are voting posts down because of who said instead of what was said. 

Other then that, its just another forum, what can be good or bad about it, all you need to do is post your comments. The Shutterstock forum is the most basic forum there is, even more basic then the old Alamy forum, and it works fine. 

I agree, it's nice to hear some new voices and see some new faces. I've been ignoring all the glitzy forum features -- up and down buttons, etc. -- so I can't comment on them. Losing ( you lose an "o" in lose) the archive was definitely a bummer. There was a lot of very helpful stuff buried in there. However, some of it is already starting to be reborn on the new forum. In retrospect, a general house cleaning was probably overdue.

BTW, what happened to the spell check? Is it possible to configure it on the new forum?

The Private Message function has gone;

If you click the arrow next to your user name on the top right of this page there is a "personal messenger" function listed.

If you click on Members next to Forums in the top left hand corner, you get to a Members List.

In Members List there are 3 buttons to the right of each member's name: add as a friend; PM this member and Find content.

What Add as a friend does, I don't know; the rest is pretty straight forward.

There are some mor buttons to play with at the top of the list: Member Name; Post Count; Join Date.

While writing this I encountered all sorts of strange behavior of the edit box btw: deleting the last letter or a space sometimes deletes the whole sentence. Ctrl-Z does not undo this mistake, but after repeating Ctrl-Z it usually does, but not always after the same amount of clicks. Weird. I wonder what this CMS was made for initially.

wim

I don't mind the fresh start - all that's new takes some getting used to so that's fine too - however, I still have to discover what the dots below Members denote.  

Rgds,

Richard.

Looks like you get 2 dots after 10 posts

Regards

Craig

That's odd, If you click my portfolio number which suggests I have 2004 images, it takes you to a set of Christine Whitehead's pix of that number. But I have 4820 in my portfolio and could hardly be more different. I'm not the first to mention this discrepancy

Robert

I seem to remember that in the first couple of days Alamy posted that if you log off and then log on again you might well end up with your own images - worth a try......

Archived