Thoughts on how the new forum is working

I am sure that I will get used to the new look.

It seems odd to me that the member details often take up more space than the message.

There seems to be so many more facilities which I will be ignoring but I guess that's progress!

dov

I think its looking good. The discussions so far seem to contain good information and good humour. The old forum was somewhat intimidating for some I think. The trend toward members using their real names, myself included (formerly Richc), is probably helping. Its a little more difficult to be rude and aggressive when not hiding behind a pseudonym!

hile writing this I encountered all sorts of strange behavior of the edit box btw: deleting the last letter or a space sometimes deletes the whole sentence. Ctrl-Z does not undo this mistake, but after repeating Ctrl-Z it usually does, but not always after the same amount of clicks. Weird. I wonder what this CMS was made for initially.

wim

Best resolution for this is to click the top left button in the formatting toolbar, which takes you into a limited 'code view'.  Then delete the errant spaces there.  That'll get rid of any unwanted formatting or text without throwing up strange unwanted results.

Pretty much agree with everyone else re: the new forum.  Takes a bit of getting used to, but it's growing on me;  shame to lose the archive of the old forum with tons of useful info;  more positive feel here;  not sure about the +/- buttons; the text editor could use some polishing up; overall pretty good - I've certainly benefited from really helpful advice here already.

I agree with most of what has been observed in the thread. The old forum had a lot of very useful info, but in some respects somewhat dated. The new forum is giving us a new start and, refreshingly, without a lot of the niggleing that occurred on the old forum. It seemed to me that a few posters on the old forum who had lots of posts seemed to think that this was a badge of honour that needed to be acknowledged.

I like the new approach. Regardless of your past posting experience we now seem to have our opinions, questions and general thoughts reponded to in a constructive and professional manner.

Well done Alamy.

Ken

I am a very rare contributor as I am not that keen on forums however this new forum is fine probably better in the content than detail for example I prefer to see some/all of the teenage buttons removed; totally unnecessary, pointless gimmicks IMO; does it matter really whether you like or mark up or down a post?

Perhaps it does to some but not to me ....

I like it, I generally steered very clear of the old forum as there was so much negativity.  

I am pleased that this new forum does not suffer from that, so well done Alamy for setting it up like this.  

Peter Jordan

I agree, it's nice to hear some new voices and see some new faces. I've been ignoring all the glitzy forum features -- up and down buttons, etc. -- so I can't comment on them. Losing ( you lose an "o" in lose) the archive was definitely a bummer. There was a lot of very helpful stuff buried in there. However, some of it is already starting to be reborn on the new forum. In retrospect, a general house cleaning was probably overdue.

BTW, what happened to the spell check? Is it possible to configure it on the new forum?

What kind of computer are you on, John? I'm on a Mac with Mountain Lion OP. Every program now defaults to the built-in Apple spell checker. Look for it in the Edit menu on top. 

I wasn't really bothered by squabbling on the other forum. It seemed easy enough to ignore. Perhaps I missed much of it. Personally I preferred the impersonal nature of the old forum.  I have a feeling that this kind of setup will eventually become quite  cliquey (If that's a word :)  ).

As for being permanently linked to our images: surely we want buyers to see our images - not our competitors.

John, I agree. PMs from a few posters (whom I respect and who have made valuable contributions here in the past) concerning their reluctance to now post anything even slightly contrary to the safe POVs that are beginning to form, reinforces my increasing belief that the forum has lost its old cutting-edge value.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind plain, safe vanilla, but occasionally some chili to spice it up is invaluable, even if it does sometimes cause a little (easily ignored as you say) discomfort.

dd

Based on forum v2 posts I've come across, I don't miss certain kinds of venting.

Common sense rule of thumb: Avoid posting on publicly searchable forums any type of business info you would not send to your potential clients.

- Ann

Mostly I like the look and feel of this forum lots better than I did the old. I think of it as a Beta program, where over time, problems will be fixed and changes will be made. On the first or second day, I clicked the red button on someone . . . but I won't be doing that again. If I have an issue with anyone they will know about it PDQ. Clicking the red button is a despicable, cowardly act. 

Personally, I would like to see where people live, not so specific as Great Tew, Oxfordshire, England but not so vague as Europe or USA. I find being able to see members' collections a big help; I want to know if the they walk the walk as well as talk the talk. 

And to all those who quit the forum and faded into the shadows, that exactly where they belong. 

I also like the new forum, and are sure as time go's on all of the little niggles will get sorted out and hopefully the red buttons wont get used ( a tip for iphone users, be careful as I am certain that when scrolling the pages up and down you can unknowingly vote posts up or down when you dont mean to ) and I can agree with Ed about seeing where people live..

All in all I dont think the forum is to bad, I have certainly been on worse.

Steve.

• 2 weeks later...

Also, no-one replied to the only thread I started so far :D oh well.

I looked it up and have NO idea what the answer would be but I wonder if you have asked Alamy about it. Perhaps they need another choice for your situation.

Paulette

P. S. No one is going to know what I am talking about so why don't I copy and paste your previous post...

"I've posted a number of images from my own commercial Web site (fromoldbooks.org, hope it's OK to mention it) and a lot of them are woodcuts, often with people in them.

The people are usually generic, e.g. to give a sense of scale in an engraving of a building, or two Victorian gentlemen comforting a forlorn-looking boy at a funeral (to illustrate a story, fiction). I have done extensive research to make sure the pictures are not encumbered in any way.

If I say there are 3 people in th funeral engraving then I have to upload a model release in order to sell the imate as royalty-free.

if I say  there are zero people (which is what I have done so far) I fear people won't find the picture.

Should I upload a "release" that simply says no release is needed?"

Archived