contributor buy-out ?

Very grateful for offers received so far !   but !

...the one time i try to be serious and nobody takes me seriously !!!

It was reported at the time that PA bought Alamy for an undisclosed sum - and i just wondered if any seasoned campaigners had their ears close enough to the keyhole to get some idea of what numbers were involved. 

Maybe the heat has affected my cogs  (40 Centigrade here in sunny Yorkshire) but i just found myself wondering how much would it cost for the lunatics to buy out the asylum !

31 minutes ago, Gorilla Dave said:

Maybe the heat has affected my cogs  (40 Centigrade here in sunny Yorkshire) but i just found myself wondering how much would it cost for the lunatics to buy out the asylum !

In the current state of the market, what makes you think we cvould do any better?

Alan

• Love 2
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Gorilla Dave said:

…and so, does anyone know (roughly) how much PA paid for Alamy.

…and how much would we need to raise to put in a bid for a contributor buy-out ?

GD

£47.3 million

There has been a wheelbarrow for sale since the deferred consideration was paid - contact "West Fischer Laffin Ltd" for more details.

• Thanks 1

Being a bit more serious (the £47.3m is correct by the way) - this is a long established multi-million pound business not a co-operative where everyone has a say (or thinks they should have),

Edited by Nodvandigtid
clarification on acquisition cost
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Nodvandigtid said:

Being a bit more serious (the £47.3m is correct by the way) - this is a long established multi-million pound business not a co-operative where everyone has a say (or thinks they should have),

Even the famous cooperate founded by Henri Cartier-Bresson and others looks like it diversified from just licensing images to selling prints, teaching, having gallery show, and the founders were among some of the best photographers of the 30s through 1950s.  They have 98 listed live photographers or estates (just counted).  I don't think I could get in as they want people who've been full time photographers before applying.   I don't think a coop is innately problematic (I've worked for a short time at a worker-owned software company, but wasn't there long enough to get vested).

The trouble if PA is selling Alamy photos cheap (even beyond the cut) is could a coop have larger enough slices of the sale pie to pay off the £47.3m or whatever selling price?  If prices are low across the whole market, then I think the answer is nope.

A different possibility may be to create a collaborative website/marketplace where to showcase the members' photos. But to leave to each photographer all the commercial aspects (setting prices, collecting payments, pay taxes, invoicing, and the like). For a (reasonable) fee each member would get visibility, and (possibly) a number of additional services by "non-photographer" members, such as infringment chasing, tax consulting, legal support, printing services, etc.

Edited by riccarbi
  • Love 1

Such a co-operative stock agency already exists, dating from the time some years ago when the writing on the microstock wall was becoming very apparent withc big fish swallowing smaller ones. I won't name it, in the hope the thread won't get pulled, but it was founded by the original founder of the daddy of all microstock sites and embeds the principles of fair prices and fair returns. From the beginning it was notoriously difficult to be accepted as a contributor and at times has gone for long periods of not accepting new contributors at all. 

As it happens, I don't necessarily think it would be a good home for many Alamy contributors - meeting the demands of content type and quality would be a real challenge. Perhaps most significantly for the likes of me, it doesn't do editorial. I think what they have done suggests a co-operative with high prices and high standards can be a success without challenging the big boys, but whether it could be replicated in the market sector Alamy occupies is another question altogether.

We can dream, and maybe someone has the financial and managerial nous to issue a call to like-minded photographers to enter upon a journey to the promised land, but it is not a path to be undertaken lightly. Even participating in, let alone setting up such a venture,  is certainly a long, long, long way outside my comfort zone.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Gorilla Dave said:

Very grateful for offers received so far !   but !

...the one time i try to be serious and nobody takes me seriously !!!

It was reported at the time that PA bought Alamy for an undisclosed sum - and i just wondered if any seasoned campaigners had their ears close enough to the keyhole to get some idea of what numbers were involved. 

Have a look at Photoshelter Brands - there are already groups of photographers working together using that platform. 

Unfortunately the standard photographer Photoshelter deal does not permit the hosting of other photographers images. They used to have a pooling system called Virtual Agency but it died of death and was never really all that good. 

But that old phrase 'herding cats' comes to mind. 

Edited by geogphotos

here's an extract from the PA Media Group accounts up to the 31 December 2019.

“In February 2020, the Group purchased 100% of the share capital in Alamy Limited, a provider of stock images. Cash consideration paid on acquisition was £32.6m. Deferred consideration of £9.2m to be paid in February 2021 and £4.6m to be paid in February 2022”

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, riccarbi said:

A different possibility may be to create a collaborative website/marketplace where to showcase the members' photos. But to leave to each photographer all the commercial aspects (setting prices, collecting payments, pay taxes, invoicing, and the like). For a (reasonable) fee each member would get visibility, and (possibly) a number of additional services by "non-photographer" members, such as infringment chasing, tax consulting, legal support, printing services, etc.

I have thought of adding photographers to IMAGES.ARTIST-AT-LARGE.COM, my own stock web site. In my head it's all clean and easy - site members add their own images, set their own prices, and I just take 10% to pay for web/hosting fees. But in reality, it's way more convoluted than that. I don't know that I'll ever take on other folks. Also, I'm shit at marketing. 

Edited by kimba

7 hours ago, kimba said:

I have thought of adding photographers to IMAGES.ARTIST-AT-LARGE.COM, my own stock web site. In my head it's all clean and easy - site members add their own images, set their own prices, and I just take 10% to pay for web/hosting fees. But in reality, it's way more convoluted than that. I don't know that I'll ever take on other folks. Also, I'm shit at marketing. 

Thanks for the offer but I do not think my images would be of interest on your side of the pond.😉

Allan

• Love 1

If I had the investment capital, buying and running a coop stock agency would be the first thing I would do -- after flying to the moon without the aid of a spacecraft. 

Edited by Ed Rooney

I'm a contributor since early days of that coop stock library, fair prices and fair returns are possible. Sadly Alamy has chosen a different route, my last 10 sales are about 1$.

Edited by CarloBo
spell

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

If I had the investment capital, buying and running a coop stock agency would be the first thing I did -- after flying to the moon without the aid of a spacecraft. 

GOSH! Can you do that?  Without permission.

Allan

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

If I had the investment capital, buying and running a coop stock agency would be the first thing I would do -- after flying to the moon without the aid of a spacecraft. 

Very nice to hear from you Edo, I was worried a little that we haven't heard from you for quite a while. For quite a few years I augmented my own collection of stock photography by a few like-minded photographer pals who shot in a similar style and offered them 60%. It wasn't a fully functioning coop but it was in that direction. It kind of worked and I already had a reasonable base of publishing customers. But the industry went for size and I moved to Alamy. OK for about ten years, but things have changed; not for the better

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Thanks for the offer but I do not think my images would be of interest on your side of the pond.😉

Allan

What does "the pond" have to do with where to post stock images for sale? I live in California and only post to my own site and Alamy. I would think that me being a shit at marketing would be more of a downsale than anything!