UK in March - where to go?

Morning all

I am thinking of going to "somewhere" in the UK during March. I would prefer landscapes/ coastal but I'm not sure where would be ideal.

Northumberland springs to mind as it's not somewhere I've really covered at all.

Cornwall, Devon and Dorset would be off-limits as I've done them to death.

Any other thoughts?

Do you mean Clerkenwell in London, UK? (Little Italy).

Italy?

dd

. . . ummm . . . yes, of course . . . ;-)

dd

I'm looking only at the UK due to cheap flights available from my local airport.

Jools, I think that Dusty was attempting to be humorous (I was going to say Spain, but he beat me to it!).  The weather in the UK in March is not generally famed for its balmy days.

Anywhere along the North-East coast is good. But, beware of the weather as our winters seem to still be in full swing in March up t'north.

For places to stay, Whitby is exceptional all year round and has a great atmosphere in the winter with the North Sea blowing in. The Town has been done to death photographically but for somewhere to base yourself it's second to none. I go there every August with my band and play the pubs and street corners so I know of various places to stay that are reasonable and good quality should you go there.

Andy

Go after the 29th where the hour is changing, therefore you have one hour more in the afternoon.

If I was you I will go to the south, Kent?, coast where the chance to have "better" weather is higher than in the midlands or further north.

Do you mean Clerkenwell in London, UK? (Little Italy).

Italy?

dd

. . . ummm . . . yes, of course . . . ;-)

dd

No no, Little Italy here in NYC. It's the very best place to get pictures of Albanians.

Seriously, in my years in Oxfordshire, the sun did not arrive until mid-April. I would take Italy or Spain as real possibilities.  :)

I'm looking only at the UK due to cheap flights available from my local airport.

Jools, I think that Dusty was attempting to be humorous (I was going to say Spain, but he beat me to it!).  The weather in the UK in March is not generally famed for its balmy days.

"Attempting"???? . . . step outside . . .

dd

"Attempting"???? . . . step outside . . .

dd

:lol:  Are you kidding?  I'm just about to hibernate. :P:D

Don't worry. i'm fully aware of what the UK is like in March. Having lived there all of my life until three 3 years ago it was a relief to move on!

I would assume you know, Jools. But we're all able to talk ourselves into things, no? Maybe you can talk the sun into showing itself early.   :)

I just reviewed all my sales and there is not one of a scene with an overcast sky. Not a single one. Of course there are subjects other than landscapes or cityscapes. 

Torridon, Glencoe, Loch Duich (Eilean Donan Castle), Plockton, Loch Maree, Poolewe, Gruinard, Ullapool, Loch Assynt. Beautiful west coast sunsets, snow still on the mountains.

+1.... Just back again from Torridon. The west coast in Autumn  and springtime gives some amazing sunsets. Just added a few mixed weather shots from Torridon to Alamy.... when breaks in the cloud / snow allowed  :D

As much as i would like to head up to Torridon and the like it won't be practical. I would arrive in Stansted and would want to drive for, at most, 5 hours to get to where I want to go.

Very tempted by the Pembrokeshire coastline. It's been way too long since I have really done my speciality of landscapes.

Archived