July 2021 Favourite Uploads

40 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

thanks...   not fully happy with the background, working on smoothing out that top left darkness. ....  

I have one of those.  I kept from uploading this image of a Grackle for ages as I hated the background.  Finally gave up and uploaded as is.

common-grackle-quiscalus-quiscula-runnin

• Love 2

9 hours ago, hsessions said:

Wanted to ask just that.  Took the words out of my mouth.  I saw this image in your port, I like it (as is).

thank you.  i am struggling with bird images of when to stop.  Funny for editorial and story telling content i usually am happy with an 80/20 rule, where the efforts for the last level are not worth it vs speed and move on to the next image, but i'm getting more and more finicky with nature shot because I keep seeing the work of people who are better at setting up their images.  

both your encouragement and @Jill Morgan are appreciated.

9 hours ago, Jill Morgan said:

I have one of those.  I kept from uploading this image of a Grackle for ages as I hated the background.  Finally gave up and uploaded as is.

common-grackle-quiscalus-quiscula-runnin

great action shot.  love the separation between the bird and its shadow.  

On 05/07/2021 at 07:15, gvallee said:

Our campsite by the beach at sunrise. Dampier Peninsula, Western Australia

2G6C424.jpg

Sunrise at Pender Bay, Dampier Peninsula, Western Australia

2G6C3RY.jpg

Pindan cliffs at Pender Bay, Dampier Peninsula, Western Australia

2G6C3GX.jpg

View from the lookout at Pender Bay, Dampier Peninsula, Western Australia

2G6C33M.jpg

Gen, your images are just awesome.  Make me want to pack up and head to Oz. 

Jill

7 hours ago, Jill Morgan said:

Gen, your images are just awesome.  Make me want to pack up and head to Oz. 

Jill

Thank you Jill. This is a particularly scenic part of Oz with red cliffs, black rocks, blue skies and turquoise water. A photographer's paradise. A little hard to get to though along deep sand and corrugated tracks. We had to let the tyres down.

I love your woodpeckers.

Edited by gvallee

On 05/07/2021 at 19:46, meanderingemu said:

90% happy with this one....  

a-great-blue-heron-ardea-herodias-head-shot-portrait-with-crest-flowing-in-the-wind-2G64WTA.jpg

Touche. 🙃 You must have been using a long lens. I was using 400mm and I was point blank range...

closeup-of-a-grey-heron-ardea-cinerea-fr

• Love 4

2 hours ago, Steve F said:

Touche. 🙃 You must have been using a long lens. I was using 400mm and I was point blank range...

closeup-of-a-grey-heron-ardea-cinerea-fr

nice.

had a 100-400mm on, and the heron got too close for me to do anything else than the head shot.  It hangs around a park on the Canal and seems mainly undisturbed by people, i was just waiting and it kept getting closer.  By opposition the the 2 night-herons which are most much skittish-haven't been able to set anything up much with those....

a-black-crowned-night-heron-nycticorax-nycticorax-in-profile-perched-on-a-large-branch-2G64WTD.jpg

• Love 3

Going back through old RAWs, now the 2 "C"s have me unable to use the camera or dive. Love to be reminded of why I like to be underwater. Here is a smaller female pufferfish on the left, blowing debris away from a patch of substrate prior to laying her eggs, The larger male is lurking right behind her  to ensure he's the one to fertlise them. The whole laying/fertilising is over in a split second and I've never been able to catch it. Something to hope for in the future perhaps!

mating-pair-of-black-saddled-or-valentines-pufferfish-or-toby-canthigaster-valentini-smaller-female-on-left-preparing-substrate-to-lay-eggs-2G6K7Y9.jpg

• Love 3
  • Like 1

First for July from me.

Clowns head at window looking out (Spooky)

clowns-head-at-window-looking-out-2G64C78.jpg

Incongruous placement of food outlet sign over arched doorway to rears of premises

incongruous-placement-of-food-outlet-sign-over-arched-doorway-to-rears-of-premises-2G64CDE.jpg

Oxeye Daisy Greenfly and flying insect

oxeye-daisy-greenfly-and-flying-insect-2G6790T.jpg

Allan
Edited by Allan Bell
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, cbimages said:

Going back through old RAWs, now the 2 "C"s have me unable to use the camera or dive. Love to be reminded of why I like to be underwater. Here is a smaller female pufferfish on the left, blowing debris away from a patch of substrate prior to laying her eggs, The larger male is lurking right behind her  to ensure he's the one to fertlise them. The whole laying/fertilising is over in a split second and I've never been able to catch it. Something to hope for in the future perhaps!

mating-pair-of-black-saddled-or-valentines-pufferfish-or-toby-canthigaster-valentini-smaller-female-on-left-preparing-substrate-to-lay-eggs-2G6K7Y9.jpg

OMG Carol, it's fabulous!! I'm about to upload another batch, I'm wondering why I bother. Not that they're underwater pictures but... 

Hang in there Carol, things will get better.

5 hours ago, cbimages said:

I love the way you show behavior and explain it to us. You know your subject so well...and obviously love it.

Paulette

Patterns in mudflats and salt pans along the King River Road in Wyndham, Kimberley Region, Western Australia

2G6R82B.jpg

2G6R82J.jpg

Kimberley Region scenery, Western Australia

2G6R90J.jpg

Off-road driving across a dry creek riverbed

2G6R91A.jpg

Typical Kymberley region scenery, Western Australia

2G6R84M.jpg

Edited by gvallee
  • Love 1

This image has a sad and an uplifting story behind it. These kids were jumping into the water from the pier, I thought it would make a good image for the local papers. Anyway asked the mum who was watching if a pic would be ok and I would be putting it forward to the papers, no problem and took her email addy (I normaly do) to send on the image I had taken. The image ended up in 2 local papers the same day, I sent on the image to the parents and informed them of the good news about the papers (publication, page etc).

Got a reply saying thanks a bunch, the reason her daughter had a skull cap on was she had surgery on what turned out to be an inoperable brain tumour, but the fact that she got into the paper made her holiday's!!!. Very humbling to meet such a cheerful soul, some people have far more important things to worry about than images sold/licenced or CTR whines !!!

Cheers.Andy

children-jumping-backwards-into-the-sea-on-summer-holiday-2G5WKM9.jpg

• Love 3

13 hours ago, Sally R said:

I love these pufferfish Carol. They are very colourful. The pufferfish here, who are much less colourful, were doing a strange thing last summer that I've never experienced before. As soon as I entered the water for a swim I could feel things nibbling at me and it was the pufferfish (or blowfish as we often call them). I then heard reports from all up and down the Perth coast of peoples' feet being nibbled. There was even a story on the radio about it ( https://www.abc.net.au/radio/perth/programs/drive/blowfish-biting-across-perth/13075014 ) and a scientist thought they had come out from the Swan River Estuary to breed but there was much less food in the ocean and so they were having a bit of a bite at anything, but their blunt teeth can't do a lot to a human. It wasn't painful, just a weird sensation. The specific type of pufferfish is apparently the weeping toadfish.

Love this tale Sally! If you've ever been to Bali, you've no doubt paid for a "fish spa". And you got one for free!

I was standing in the Caribbean Sea with my sister, and fish were nibbling on our legs and feet. I thought it was amusing…my sister squealed and ran up on the beach. She said they were going after her freckles, but I was nibbled and had no freckles.

I’ve never been nibbled in murky water, but several times in clearer water.

• Love 1

12 hours ago, Jill Morgan said:

I like this shot, but was worried as the highlights are blown on top of it's head and along it's side.  It is trying to chase a juvenile Grackle out of the feeder.

mourning-dove-zenalda-macroura-about-to-

Love how this shows the double layered tail feathers!

Edited by Betty LaRue

Gantheaume Point, Broome, Western Australia

@MDM  Mick, I was thinking what a paradise it would be for you there, such amazing rock formations of every colour and texture under the sun.

2G77T46.jpg

2G77T5C.jpg

2G77T3J.jpg

Edited by gvallee
  • Love 1

This was taken whilst on a short break last week.  I absent-mindedly took some pics whilst on hols and to my surprise it was used by an Irish national on Monday.  Win! 2G6XMP1

rosslaire-county-wexford-ireland-9th-july-2021-ro-ropassenger-ship-kerry-rests-at-rosslaire-europort-in-between-voyages-the-irish-revenue-has-been-physically-checking-4-of-freight-arriving-into-rosslaire-and-dublin-ports-since-brexit-in-january-credit-ag-newsalamy-live-news-2G6XMP1.jpg
  • Love 2

53 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

This was taken whilst on a short break last week.  I absent-mindedly took some pics whilst on hols and to my surprise it was used by an Irish national on Monday.  Win! 2G6XMP1

rosslaire-county-wexford-ireland-9th-july-2021-ro-ropassenger-ship-kerry-rests-at-rosslaire-europort-in-between-voyages-the-irish-revenue-has-been-physically-checking-4-of-freight-arriving-into-rosslaire-and-dublin-ports-since-brexit-in-january-credit-ag-newsalamy-live-news-2G6XMP1.jpg

A few years ago I touched the Irish soil for the first time at this place. Nice!

Edited by Ognyan Yosifov
  • Like 1