I see that Alamy have now started to promote stock footage after telling us for years that it was dead in the water!
I have uploaded lots of footage elsewhere which would have been ideal on this platform, so why keep us in the dark when they had a contributor base here, ready and able to supply them directly, and maybe exclusivly?

Edit: Apologies to Spacecadet who already started a thread on this subject, I didn't get the email, I just saw the new homepage.

Edited by mickfly
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for highlighting this. I hadn't seen the Alamy home page. I can confirm that my Pond5 non-exclusive video portfolio is now available through Alamy. The price per clip is considerably higher than I have set on Pond5. What I don't know is whether any sale will accrue to my Alamy acount, or will be treated as a Pond5 distributor sale where whey will take a cut before giving my my Pond5 commission.

Only my non-exclusive portfolio is available at Alamy. I also have an exclusive set of clips at Pond5 which garner 60% for direct sales, but they are not found in the Alamy search - not surprisingly really.

This is all very interesting and will require some thinking as I was in the process of transferring everything to my Pond5 exclusive portfolio. Will I get any sales at all through Alamy? At what commission?

It would be nice if Alamy or Pond5 told us about these things in advance.

ETA. Having looked more closely I can now see that the standard Alamy licence price is about the same as Pond5's.  I can also see that at least some of my Pond5 exclusive collection is available here.

Edited by Joseph Clemson
Corrections for clarity and updated information.
  • Like 1

And where have they suddenly got all this footage from? Search for "travel" and you get 1.7m hits. It's probably no wonder that they haven't told their existing contributor base - they don't need to.

Alan

21 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

I wonder when, or even if, they were going to tell us. No video option on FTP or the upload page yet.

I'm not sure they are going to make video upload available to ordinary Alamy contributors. The video collection on the Alamy homepage is just part of Pond5's vast video library. If you change the search terms you will find other Pond5 footage. Search for 'Bolton' and you'll find some of mine (not all my best work 😟). I think Alamy are acting as a Pond5 distributor in order to extend their video offering. This is all guessing at the moment as I've still seen nothing to announce this from Pond5 or Alamy.

ETA. Clearly not all the Pond5 library is available through Alamy at this moment. I found 20 of my 'Bolton' clips on Alamy, I have many more on Pond5 itself. 

Edited by Joseph Clemson
Additional information

Presumably this is why the term images has been replaced by the term content throughout the new contract.

I also presume that one will have to be approved in order to upload video content here - just having a stills account will not suffice I am guessing.

EDIT - just a guess but the fact that they have changed the terminology of the contract suggests that they may be preparing to accept video content directly?

Edited by MDM

46 minutes ago, MDM said:

they may be preparing to accept video content directly?

I have some paint drying in the garage atm......could shoot that..........or how about the freezer...... I could do Hell freezing over............:blink:

Edited by spacecadet

If Alamy are going to start accepting video content directly, then I guess it will be when the new contract is due to go live (July24th or thereabouts) as the previous contract does not cover video (refers to images) whereas the new one refers to content. I was not doing video back when they were accepting it but it seems very likely that it will be a managed collection rather than the current stills model where  anything goes. I am looking forward to it now as I have spent a lot of time since the beginning of the pandemic teaching myself the art of shooting and editing video. I have not gotten around as yet to doing video stock elsewhere so this looks like a good place to start if that is what is happening. 

Also I wonder if it is a coincidence that Alamy have started promoting video on June 30th, the day before the new contract was due to start 

Edited by MDM
  • Love 1

12 minutes ago, Phil Robinson said:

I hadn't noticed this either. I have recently started contributing a lot to Pond5, but exclusively, and I can't find any of them on here.

There are definitely some of my exclusive collection showing up on Alamy, but by no means all. I now notice that Pond5 is credited as the contributor on all these new videos with no mention of the original creator (my claim to fame will have to wait a little longer). The jury is out on whether we will be able to contribute video directly through Alamy, but my betting is Not.

9 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

I have some paint drying in the garage atm......could shoot that..........or how about the freezer...... I could do Hell freezing over............:blink:

Paint  drying might make an interesting time lapse. In fact now that you mention it .................

3 minutes ago, MDM said:

Paint  drying might make an interesting time lapse. In fact now that you mention it .................

I've done a timelapse of paint stripper causing paint to bubble and peel. Not quite paint drying but not far off 🙂. Can't show it here as it's not one which has transferred to Alamy.

• Love 2

10 minutes ago, Joseph Clemson said:

I've done a timelapse of paint stripper causing paint to bubble and peel. Not quite paint drying but not far off 🙂. Can't show it here as it's not one which has transferred to Alamy.

Nothing new under the sun then Joe 😀. I still have that correspondence about stock video that we had a few years ago. I never got around to it at the time and neither did my son who I was trying to encourage at that time. I am now spending more time on video than stills but have not been thinking about stock until now really. 

I've just started shooting small video clips and was going to research Pond5 - do Alamy and Pond5 have a distribution relationship or did Alamy purchase Pond5? 

24 minutes ago, kimba said:

I've just started shooting small video clips and was going to research Pond5 - do Alamy and Pond5 have a distribution relationship or did Alamy purchase Pond5? 

This connection between Pond5 and Alamy is brand new and I for one have seen no detailed announcement from either company. From what I can deduce, Alamy has become a distributor of Pond5 video clips. I can't see any way Alamy would have purchased Pond5

• Love 1

9 minutes ago, Joseph Clemson said:

This connection between Pond5 and Alamy is brand new and I for one have seen no detailed announcement from either company. From what I can deduce, Alamy has become a distributor of Pond5 video clips. I can't see any way Alamy would have purchased Pond5

Oh, I thought maybe the reason for the contract changes in what we are paid (or not paid) has come to light, But maybe not. I'm not awake yet and thinking clearly.

The new homepage makes me sick to my stomach. Even when still photos are quickly changed I am frustrated by not being able to take them in. Now the movement really is disturbing. I've changed Safari to open to my Dashboard instead of the homepage. I always go there first anyway.

Paulette

• Like 2

It’s awful. I’m just getting over a problem with vertigo and seeing the motion on the homepage sure didn’t help. It’s too fast for my taste. I’m glad I don’t typically look at the main Alamy page.

Edited by Cecile Marion
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Phil Robinson said:

I hadn't noticed this either. I have recently started contributing a lot to Pond5, but exclusively, and I can't find any of them on here.

Some of mine are here, which is fine by me.

UPDATE: mine are non-exclusive

Edited by John Mitchell

10 hours ago, Joseph Clemson said:

There are definitely some of my exclusive collection showing up on Alamy, but by no means all. I now notice that Pond5 is credited as the contributor on all these new videos with no mention of the original creator (my claim to fame will have to wait a little longer). The jury is out on whether we will be able to contribute video directly through Alamy, but my betting is Not.

Weird that exclusive would show up, but I guess anything is possible these days. It will be interesting to see how this arrangement  "pans out" (so to speak).

It's a calculated punt by Alamy to generate income which is understandable.

Gives them a ready made source of video content for the cost of hosting and then in the background the money changes hands as commission, affiliate or referral etc.

It's certainly a swift "U-turn" from Alamy's outlook on video content in recent years but good luck to those who do videos.   

I would doubt if Alamy bought Pond5, remember PA's purchase of Alamy meant that deferred consideration of £9.2m was to be paid to the former shareholders of the old Alamy in February 2021. 

(The purchase of Alamy looks to have cost PA Media around £46m GBP)  

Oh, and James West resigned as a director from Alamy on 06 February 2021

Edited by Nodvandigtid
typo final line