I've been adding new clips (now exclusive), but none of them have showed up here yet. I price all mine at a similar amount to the ones on Alamy.

Yup, "stagnant" is the correct word to use for sales. However, my collection is so small that I don't really expect much activity. My P5 clips here have very good ranking in search results, though, so it will be interesting to see if that helps matters.

Edited by John Mitchell

23 hours ago, Joseph Clemson said:

Hello Hanif,

If you have not yet seen any of your Pond5 videos transfer over to Alamy, try setting them in the price range $55-79, which is what others have reported as seeming to be the price selection criteria. Setting video prices really low helps no one anyway, to be honest, as it is the subject matter and quality of production which matters to most buyers. 

Your post prompted me to revisit the Pond5/Alamy partnership programme thread. As I've been away I haven't yet conducted any experiments to see what price changes will do to cause clips to transfer to Alamy. However, I do notice that the overall number of Pond5 clips on Alamy has gone up to 6,257,870 (was originally 5,979718). The new ones include a few of mine.

My P5 video sales as a whole are stagnent so I have no idea yet whether Alamy video will bear any fruit. I'm guessing it will take many months to get any kind of idea of how successful this is going to be.

Thank you Joseph for your reply.

At least I did this with my video prices on p5:

All similar to Alamy prices. But to be honest: Your range advise is more interesting for me, if it also works. So i could set them not to high.

BUT:

The customer might be confused seeing different prices for nearly similar videos now on p5, because I have chosen only a few from one batch (for example many videos at one place: 3 I changed, 10 or 15 I kept the low price. Because the difference on quality is not big, they just can buy the cheaper ones on p5 and same time i might get the selected to Alamy. That is just as long I am checking if excisting videos still transferred after changing the price.

Different to what I wrote here last time, I also changed the prices for all singular videos.

Now I can analyse two things:

Price changes helps to get transferred to Alamy?

Higher prices itself does not change customers decision that much - as I read in Josephs advice.

#Might be not the right place to write about: I am thinking about select some of the videos I kept the price low and not toooo similar, so that I could submit them (for example via WS) to other agencies non exclusive. In that way I could also find out, if exclusiveness on p5 is worth it or/and the exposer from WS helps me for more sales.#

22 hours ago, Hanif said:

Thank you Joseph for your reply.

At least I did this with my video prices on p5:

All similar to Alamy prices. But to be honest: Your range advise is more interesting for me, if it also works. So i could set them not to high.

BUT:

The customer might be confused seeing different prices for nearly similar videos now on p5, because I have chosen only a few from one batch (for example many videos at one place: 3 I changed, 10 or 15 I kept the low price. Because the difference on quality is not big, they just can buy the cheaper ones on p5 and same time i might get the selected to Alamy. That is just as long I am checking if excisting videos still transferred after changing the price.

Different to what I wrote here last time, I also changed the prices for all singular videos.

Now I can analyse two things:

Price changes helps to get transferred to Alamy?

Higher prices itself does not change customers decision that much - as I read in Josephs advice.

#Might be not the right place to write about: I am thinking about select some of the videos I kept the price low and not toooo similar, so that I could submit them (for example via WS) to other agencies non exclusive. In that way I could also find out, if exclusiveness on p5 is worth it or/and the exposer from WS helps me for more sales.#

I don't think having similar or identical clips on both Alamy and Pond5 at slightly different price levels is going to be a big problem.  In essence, the regular video buyer is mostly going to be using P5. I think Alamy are hoping to pick up the occasional video buyer from among their regular customers for still photography. There will be some people who are already both P5 video buyer and Alamy still image buyers, but probably not a high percentage common to both groups.

I've seen comments that Alamy have still not got their video approach right and have no Unique Selling Point, given that they are quite heavily reliant on content available elsewhere (notably Pond5) and probably have little content unique to themselves. It's arguably late in the video stock game, but possibly not absolutely too late to create a video library that mirrors the uniqueness and quirkiness of the Alamy sitlll image library. To do so, though, would require direct submission from existing Alamy contributors and a substantial investment in IT, storage and QC facilites. I can appreciate that this would be a big, big step for them.

I'll be interested to hear if any of your P5 videos where you change the price do get transferred to Alamy. I've done a test run and adjusted the price on a small selection of my P5 videos (not yet on Alamy) to the $55-79 dollar range to see if any of them make the journey to Alamy. I will need to wait about two months before coming to any conclusion on that.

I understand your thoughts on submitting some video clips to multiple agencies as non-exclusive. In all honesty there are only two microstock agencies to which I would now submit new video material. P5 is one of them and the other doesn't accept editorial material from small scale contributors. The other microstock agencies have alll proved themselves too greedy for the lion's share of the licence fee or to be untrustworthy in my eyes. Have a go at spreading your work around. by all means, but consider carefully the terms and conditions, commission rates and the likelhood of sales at any given agency before doing so.

I could be wrong on this, the price you set on Pond5 doesn’t necessarily mean that is the price Pond5 will display on the public clip page. It happens often to my portfolio where I see a lower price than the one I set in my uploads page. Also P5 will “experiment” with prices every now and then. I have clips that have been ported over to Alamy from P5 and I also had an Alamy video portfolio from when Alamy invited me to join their video expansion some years ago., which presumably have been deleted? 

20 minutes ago, Normspics said:

I could be wrong on this, the price you set on Pond5 doesn’t necessarily mean that is the price Pond5 will display on the public clip page. It happens often to my portfolio where I see a lower price than the one I set in my uploads page. Also P5 will “experiment” with prices every now and then. I have clips that have been ported over to Alamy from P5 and I also had an Alamy video portfolio from when Alamy invited me to join their video expansion some years ago., which presumably have been deleted? 

You are absolutely right about the moveable feast that is P5 displayed prices, they often display a lower price to the contributor (as permitted in their contributor contract) and may charge yet another actual price on sale (again, as permitted in their contributor contract) . In this respect they have the same attitude to contributor-set prices as Alamy has to their price calculator on the image details page. We have no way of knowing, and likely can never know, whether the set prices for video on the Alamy site are the ones actually charged to the customer. 

As far as I know the existing videos in Alamy's collection are still there, alongside the Pond5 ones, I can't see any obvious reason why they should have been deleted. Having said that, in ten minutes of searching, I've not been able to find any video which doesn't belong to the Pond5 import (insert head-scratching emoji here). 

1 hour ago, Joseph Clemson said:

As far as I know the existing videos in Alamy's collection are still there, alongside the Pond5 ones, I can't see any obvious reason why they should have been deleted. Having said that, in ten minutes of searching, I've not been able to find any video which doesn't belong to the Pond5 import (insert head-scratching emoji here). 

There was an email sent out as I was an Alamy video contributor saying the videos that were directly uploaded to Alamy would be taken offline and maybe in the future reactivated after the “new” clips were imported.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Normspics said:

There was an email sent out as I was an Alamy video contributor saying the videos that were directly uploaded to Alamy would be taken offline and maybe in the future reactivated after the “new” clips were imported.

Rather pours cold water on any hopes of any future direct submissions to Alamy then.  Thanks for the info.

I am exclusive not on pond5 with my videos and follow the partnership, which includes the one, which doesn´t accept editorials. I still think, that is the best choice of all and even the easiest because just upload one time. But to try out the other options, we should be open for new ways. But as mentioned, I would only make a test run with a few videos of them - and of course if approved there, I have directly to delete them on p5. (I do not think, I will open another portfolio on p5, which is possible for exclusive and the other one non exclusive.)

Because my videos are exclusive on p5, I have not same experiences in case of different prices - they do that only with non exclusive files. 

58 minutes ago, BobD said:

Had a good day over at P5 today, 7 sales  $276 net. All through the global partner programme.

Still none here though.

That's encouraging to hear. I wonder if any of the global partner sales were through Alamy.

19 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

That's encouraging to hear. I wonder if any of the global partner sales were through Alamy.

Not in my case, I can't find any of my clips here.

Learning new things all the time here. I too had a GPP sale today, but it couldn't be through Alamy as they have not (yet) imported it. I'm slightly relieved that it can't have been an Alamy sale because the net licence revenue, after which my 60% (exclusive) commission was calculated, was much lower than I would have hoped.

I remain hopeful that the £48 Alamy price for video, once the sales begin to flow, will not be too greatly sliced and diced before I get my 60% share of what remains.

• 5 weeks later...
15 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

The videos keep going round and round on the Alamy homepage. I wonder if it's bringing any results.

Of course we have no way of knowing if any video sales have accrued to us as Alamy ascribes all the sales to the 'Pond5' contributor and Pond5 won't reveal to us which agency was the source of any Global Partner Programme sales we make there.  I've not seen any GPP sales through Pond5 in the last two months, it's fairly safe to assume Alamy hasn't sold any of mine ☹️.

Overall, I haven't seen the Alamy video portfolio grow at all since I set up some benchmark searches at the beginning of August. I'm checking for changes most days and I'll report anything I find here.

• Love 1

• 6 months later...

Alamy may veto this posting as it comments on the contributor contract of another agency, but as it does affect Alamy contributors with Pond5 video clips being sold through Alamy, it seems legitimate to comment.

Pond5 are changing their contributor contract to abolish the Global Partner Programme (GPP), under which Alamy acts as a distributor for a subset of Pond5 content. They have replaced the GPP with a catch-all clause which effectively enable them to sell all Pond5 content through any distributor they wish. There is no opt out, so opted-out contributors with content on Pond5 may see their clips here, even if they did not wish it to be so. As far as I can tell, the change does not affect Alamy's ability to resell Pond5 content.

Alamy have said very little about the sale of P5 video here and, as far as I can tell, there has been very little further import of P5 content since the scheme was introduced last year. The change to the P5 contributor contract opens up the possibility of more P5 content appearing here, though I'm guessing it is not necessarily going to be the case. It would be good if Alamy could bring us up to date on their thinking and experience with video and whether they anticipate growing the P5 collection as a result of the change over there. 

The P5 contract change  does have other implications for video producers, but it would be inappropriate to discuss them here. P5 contributors might like to have a peek at their Pond25 contributor account to ascertain what is happening.

On 22/03/2022 at 05:39, Joseph Clemson said:

Alamy may veto this posting as it comments on the contributor contract of another agency, but as it does affect Alamy contributors with Pond5 video clips being sold through Alamy, it seems legitimate to comment.

Pond5 are changing their contributor contract to abolish the Global Partner Programme (GPP), under which Alamy acts as a distributor for a subset of Pond5 content. They have replaced the GPP with a catch-all clause which effectively enable them to sell all Pond5 content through any distributor they wish. There is no opt out, so opted-out contributors with content on Pond5 may see their clips here, even if they did not wish it to be so. As far as I can tell, the change does not affect Alamy's ability to resell Pond5 content.

Alamy have said very little about the sale of P5 video here and, as far as I can tell, there has been very little further import of P5 content since the scheme was introduced last year. The change to the P5 contributor contract opens up the possibility of more P5 content appearing here, though I'm guessing it is not necessarily going to be the case. It would be good if Alamy could bring us up to date on their thinking and experience with video and whether they anticipate growing the P5 collection as a result of the change over there. 

The P5 contract change  does have other implications for video producers, but it would be inappropriate to discuss them here. P5 contributors might like to have a peek at their Pond25 contributor account to ascertain what is happening.

Interesting. I didn't see anything in the new agreement about abolishing the GPP. Guess I had better go have a better look. I tend to glaze over when reading contracts (not a good thing).

22 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Interesting. I didn't see anything in the new agreement about abolishing the GPP. Guess I had better go have a better look. I tend to glaze over when reading contracts (not a good thing).

The new P5 contract doesn't specifically call out that the GPP is terminated.  It just omits any reference to it.  There's now no GPP opt-out option in P5 contributor profiles as before under old contract. 

It will be interesting to see if any noticeable amount of additional P5 video footage will migrate to Alamy after new P5 contract is effective that permits all their contributor footage to be available for partner distribution.

• Love 1

• 1 month later...

A relevant piece of information for any contributors on Alamy whose clips appear here, courtesy of the Pond5 distribution programme. Pond5 has been bought out by SS, the microstock agency, well known for its philanthropic attitude to its contributors. I doubt this is good news for any of us.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joseph Clemson said:

A relevant piece of information for any contributors on Alamy whose clips appear here, courtesy of the Pond5 distribution programme. Pond5 has been bought out by SS, the microstock agency, well known for its philanthropic attitude to its contributors. I doubt this is good news for any of us.

I wonder if Alamy will now sever their "relationship" with Pond5?

Mark

6 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

I wonder if Alamy will now sever their "relationship" with Pond5?

More likely Alamy will add SS as a "Partner"!

The stock media industry in recent years seems driven by asset content sharing partnerships, agency purchases/consolidations, and drastically falling asset pricing in attempts to keep/gain market share.   Apparently a very cut-throat industry to stay operating in viably.