Jump to content

Sony a1 50 MP???


Recommended Posts

50 MP is overkill, in my opinion.  Not needed for most photo applications.  Image storage would be costly and you would need a powerful computer to just work on an photo.  One upside is that you could crop a fair amount and still have a workable image.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Yikes, I'm being swept away. Will my little Sony's 20 MP images begin to look like bottle-top images? 

 

That will be Marks (spacecadet) next camera.😉

 

Allan

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Yikes, I'm being swept away. Will my little Sony's 20 MP images begin to look like bottle-top images? 

Not yours, Ed.

We are getting to the limits of human vision. Our eyes will bleed looking at one of those at 100%.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

 

That will be Marks (spacecadet) next camera.😉

 

Allan

 

:lol:My next camera will be whatever's cheapest used when this one breaks. Shutter count still only 21557 so a while yet Deo gratias.

Edited by spacecadet
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's a good thing I'm winding down from my career and not trying to build one. I have 4 little Sony mirrorless cameras at the moment. I hope they will last longer than me, although if the RX100/6 doesn't stop its neurotic behaviour it will have to be replaced, like the guy in the Oval Office. I don't do videos so I don't need the 100/7. 

 

50 MP? Sony, maybe you should get back to your TVs. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the viewfinder stands out, shared with the new A7S III, 0.9% magnification, quote from Amateur Photographer:

 

"it is to all intents and purposes as large, bright and sharp as the optical viewfinder of my Olympus OM-1 when compared side-by-side – which in context is arguably the best viewfinder ever used on a 35mm SLR. It’s a real statement of capability and intent from Sony, and frankly leaves any DSLR in the shade."

 

A massive 9.4MP though it seems that is on playback only, but super fast refresh rate.

 

50MP is way more than I can imagine needing but the A7R IV is already 61MP and I guess people buy that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

Yikes, I'm being swept away. Will my little Sony's 20 MP images begin to look like bottle-top images? 

 

 

Their marketing department will say yes...

 

Their finance department will say yes...

 

100MP, 50MP or 42MP would be intersting but I do not think many photographers are pushing for another megapixel race, but I might be wrong.

 

Stay safe kids...

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Mr Standfast said:

 

 

Their marketing department will say yes...

 

Their finance department will say yes...

 

100MP, 50MP or 42MP would be intersting but I do not think many photographers are pushing for another megapixel race, but I might be wrong.

 

Stay safe kids...

 

 

 

 

What about your finance department......what does she say?😎

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

I think the viewfinder stands out, shared with the new A7S III, 0.9% magnification, quote from Amateur Photographer:

 

"it is to all intents and purposes as large, bright and sharp as the optical viewfinder of my Olympus OM-1 when compared side-by-side – which in context is arguably the best viewfinder ever used on a 35mm SLR. It’s a real statement of capability and intent from Sony, and frankly leaves any DSLR in the shade."

 

A massive 9.4MP though it seems that is on playback only, but super fast refresh rate.

 

50MP is way more than I can imagine needing but the A7R IV is already 61MP and I guess people buy that.

 

 

50/60MP sounds like a lot but when you take into account pixel density it is around equal to that of the 24MP APS-C sensors that have been common for some time. The main problem with these in my experience is the competency of the lens; I have two 24MP bodies and the APS-C one is far more demanding with several of my lenses clearly not delivering optimal sharpness compared with their use on FF. In most cases this is still a non-issue as real customers don't pixel peep and besides candidates of such high end FF gear likely already have excellent glass anyway.

 

I can see such high pixel counts being very valuable to those who wish to print huge and still want the option for a lot of cropping and/or to be able to take in huge amounts of detail without stitching multiple shots together to raise the res.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am not a Sony user so will not even be thinking about one of these cameras but this is not a MP race. This is a very high end camera with a very high end price and I doubt that anyone will be buying one for the MP size alone. 

 

For anyone who has never used a high MP camera (say 36MP and higher), then it is perhaps difficult to appreciate the advantages. As Michael V said above, probably the main one is cropability. This works in a few ways. The obvious one is you can get a decent sized image from a crop of 1/6 say which can be really advantageous if having to work fast without having to think too much about precise framing in camera (weddings, events, sports ....).

 

A second less obvious advantage which I use a lot (or did when I wasn't in lockdown mode) is for posed portraiture as well as rapid shooting as above. It is quite possible to take a portrait with the camera in landscape orientation and then simply crop the sides off. You get an image 5500 pixels high with a high MP Nikon (~45MP).  Why is this an advantage? Well, if handheld, the camera is a lot more stable in landscape orientation, especially with a heavy lens so you can shoot at lower ISO, shutter speed etc and it takes a lot less effort to hold it steady.  If using a monopod or tripod, this becomes a huge advantage as you don't have to rotate the camera and again the whole setup is more stable.

 

 

Edited by MDM
  • Love 2
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Cal said:

 

50/60MP sounds like a lot but when you take into account pixel density it is around equal to that of the 24MP APS-C sensors that have been common for some time

Yes, the lenses used on it will need to be very good indeed, You can't crop heavily into high pixel files just because the pixels are there, the lens needs to be first rate also. I believe they've managed to get 15 stops dynamic range which is clearly first rate and since they make the sensors of other cameras (Fuji, Nikon) then the improvements will filter down to other makes and models, and the viewfinder technology also presumably.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Priced in Canada body only $8499.99 plus 13% tax......now that's a YIKES! I could never see stock photography on my level ever supporting that investment. Happy with my new discounted price (December sale), Canon RP....I'm really liking it and the images.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Normspics said:

Priced in Canada body only $8499.99 plus 13% tax......now that's a YIKES! I could never see stock photography on my level ever supporting that investment. Happy with my new discounted price (December sale), Canon RP....I'm really liking it and the images.

 

I'd want something I could drive home for that price. 😉

 

I'll probably be hanging on to my 24 MP Sony a6000 forever-- "...from my cold, dead hands...."

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

 

I'd want something I could drive home for that price. 😉

 

I'll probably be hanging on to my 24 MP Sony a6000 forever-- "...from my cold, dead hands...."

 

Or live in 😀

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I love my a6000 too. 😍

 

In my case the a6500. But have Sony abandoned this very useful compact format? 

 

Still no sign of a replacement for the less than perfect Zeiss zoom? A 24-105 equivalent f4 lens that is reasonably sharp across the frame shouldn't be too much to ask, and I would happily part with cash to acquire it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Bryan said:

 

In my case the a6500. But have Sony abandoned this very useful compact format? 

 

 

 

You never know with Sony. They purposely have a short attention span because they want everyone to keep continuously "upgrading." The upside to this, I've found, is that it's relatively easy to find barely used lenses, etc. at my local camera shop as people keep trading stuff in. The last two pre-owned lenses I bought there were in pristine condition, and I paid less than half-price, which makes parsimonious types like me very happy. 🤑

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know of at least four of us who have the Sony a6000.   It's very convenient.  The 24mm Sony-Zeiss lens is brilliant and I wish I still had the 18-55mm lens that came with a Sony a3000, traded off for some car rides and help a few years ago.  Maybe buy another one.

 

I also love people who churn cameras and lenses without using them much, but I end up importing them from B&H and they're still pricey after duty and taxes.  Still on a7 bodies for full frame, one used and one new end of production body for around the same price.   An a7RIII might be worth getting eventually, or not. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MizBrown said:

I know of at least four of us who have the Sony a6000.   It's very convenient.  The 24mm Sony-Zeiss lens is brilliant and I wish I still had the 18-55mm lens that came with a Sony a3000, traded off for some car rides and help a few years ago.  Maybe buy another one.

 

I also love people who churn cameras and lenses without using them much, but I end up importing them from B&H and they're still pricey after duty and taxes.  Still on a7 bodies for full frame, one used and one new end of production body for around the same price.   An a7RIII might be worth getting eventually, or not. 

 

I still use the original 18-55 that I got with my NEX-3 ten years ago along with the 16-55 "pancake" zoom for most of my walk-around photography. Both capable lenses once you learn how to deal with their idiosyncrasies. You can find a used 18-55 here for about $100 CAN.

Edited by John Mitchell
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.