Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I've been lucky when it comes to refunds. I get very few. However, today four refunds -- all in the low $$ category -- popped up, which is a new single-day record for me. They are apparently all to the same client (travel guide use) and were licensed in June 2020. Has anyone else experienced this today? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Vincent Lowe said:

Yes, just the one though, also from June.  Looks like the job got cancelled.

 

I had another refund a few days ago but that was a PU.

 

Not good news, but that makes me feel a little better. You're probably correct about the project being cancelled. But who knows for sure.

 

At least they weren't for larger amounts.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My four sales -- three Vancouver images and one Cancun shot -- were interesting choices IMO, so it's a bit disappointing.

 

I'm now almost back to square one for December with four new sales and four refunds. 😐

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I've been lucky when it comes to refunds. I get very few. However, today four refunds -- all in the low $$ category -- popped up, which is a new single-day record for me. They are apparently all to the same client (travel guide use) and were licensed in June 2020. Has anyone else experienced this today? 

 

I came here to ask the same question.  I had 2 refunds for UK travel guide images licensed in June.  Both were of Victoria, BC.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MariaJ said:

 

I came here to ask the same question.  I had 2 refunds for UK travel guide images licensed in June.  Both were of Victoria, BC.

 

Quite possibly the same publisher. Looks like they licensed a lot of images.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I've been lucky when it comes to refunds. I get very few. However, today four refunds -- all in the low $$ category -- popped up, which is a new single-day record for me. They are apparently all to the same client (travel guide use) and were licensed in June 2020. Has anyone else experienced this today? 

John,

 

I feel your pain, or should I say Irritation?  I am always "Pissed Off" by refunds, but they are a fact of our life in the

digital photography licensing age.

 

Sorry my friend,

 

Chuck 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Never good news, sorry to hear John, but worse things happen at sea.

 

Not had one in a while - but I've had plenty of practice in dealing with the pain of refunds.  🤞

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Vincent Lowe said:

Yes, just the one though, also from June.  Looks like the job got cancelled.

 

I had another refund a few days ago but that was a PU.

 

PU shouldn't have refunds as an option!

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Cal said:

 

PU shouldn't have refunds as an option!

Take a look at the Consumer Rights Act. You're entitled to a refund on online transactions if you change your mind.

This may not strictly apply to image downloads, but Alamy has a contractual refund policy anyway.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Chuck Nacke said:

John,

 

I feel your pain, or should I say Irritation?  I am always "Pissed Off" by refunds, but they are a fact of our life in the

digital photography licensing age.

 

Sorry my friend,

 

Chuck 

 

That's right, easy payment means easy refund as well in the brave new digital world. It would be nice to know the reasons for refunds, though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Take a look at the Consumer Rights Act. You're entitled to a refund on online transactions if you change your mind.

This may not strictly apply to image downloads, but Alamy has a contractual refund policy anyway.

Can you download music and then get a refund because it 'wasn't the song I was thinking of' I wonder?

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Phil Robinson said:

Can you download music and then get a refund because it 'wasn't the song I was thinking of' I wonder?

You can't download it unless you waive your cooling-off rights.

I did say the CRA may not "strictly" apply. I also said that Alamy have a refund policy, which here seems to be more generous than the law.

My point was that the poster's suggestion of a blanket refusal may have fallen foul of consumer law.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The same to me to this one sold 1st June

 

Country: Worldwide
Usage: Editorial
Media: Travel guides -print and/or e-book
Print run: up to 3 million
Placement: Inside
Image Size: 1/2 page
Start: 01 June 2020
End: 01 June 2023
Online PDF Rights Included ; Duration: 7 years;

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, spacecadet said:

You can't download it unless you waive your cooling-off rights.

 

That's interesting. I'm sure Alamy could find a way to make it very clear to PU buyers that they can't get a refund for their digital download - as well as pointing out that that they are paying $9.99 for use of an image of a Ferrari, not an actual high performance sportscar. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I had a refund too.

 

Victoria, Vancouver Island.

 

Country: Worldwide
Usage: Editorial
Media: Travel guides -print and/or e-book
Print run: up to 3 million
Placement: Inside
Image Size: 1/2 page
Start: 29 June 2020
End: 29 June 2023
Online PDF Rights Included ; Duration: 7 year

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, dunstun365 said:

Are you given the reason for refunds? Not sold anything on here yet but how do refunds work if the customer has already downloaded the image?

 

Nope. No reasons ever given here.

 

You can't really return a digital file, so I guess the money must be refunded to the client, the license cancelled, and that's it. The buyer obviously will still have the image, though.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.