Simalars

I seem to be avoiding and then embracing the problem of too many similars. When I capture something, I upload just one to three images. But . . . with the lockdown and my efforts to avoid catching or spreading COVID-19, I have been in the rather small area of Liverpool City Centre for the past eight plus months. On my walks, I'm constantly revisiting the same places and so recapturing the same subjects. Below is the Liverpool statue of the Homeless Christ. Timothy Schmalz's original sculpture is in Toronto. I seem to pass this one every week when walking through the little church park where it lays. The character of the light changes and the season, but basically if I snap it I'm creating another similar, or a near-similar. This is just one of about thirty subjects I've been recapturing again and again.  

2CTWGHE.jpg

My shooting trips to Chester and Leeds won't be happening before spring, if then. Am I just bitching here? I am. I'm frustrated as Liverpool is about to have another major lockdown. But surely I'm not the only one feeling these frustrations. I'll continue shooting but I'm going to try to be slower and my thoughtful about what I upload. 

How goes things with you?

Ed,

Liverpool is an intensely rich and varied place, both visually and in personalities. If you carry on as you suggest I doubt similars are going to be a massive problem for you.   When I worked there, I used to walk its streets with my camera on a daily basis and never failed to see something new or a new angle on something familiar. Sadly, this was before I joined Alamy and so I never made full use of the freedom of subject matter Alamy provides. I woudl love to have my time there again. 

If there was one place I could choose to be locked down in at the moment, it would be Liverpool, because all eyes are on it as the centre of the increasing infection rates of Covid-19. Even if you don't shoot live news there is still scope for illustrative editorial, especially that which focusses on people and places affected by the imminent lockdown. I guess you are like me and like to melt into the background and don't want to be pushing your lens in people's faces. The beauty of Liverpool is that, especially in the city centre, people with cameras are two-a-penny and your are not likely to draw unwanted attention. Keep safe, but make the most of a unique opportunity.  

• Like 1

Being able to drive and cycle we are getting out and about locally at present, but that may stop if the lockdown tightens. We normally make a  lot of use of public transport, but have decided to put that on hold for the time being, and have taken to having groceries delivered or use click and collect. 

I am seeing this as a percentages thing, some activities are relatively safe - cycling to and working on the allotment, maybe having a cup of something in an almost empty cafe etc, while others are not, e.g. travelling on a crowded bus with the windows shut, or mingling with hordes in a shopping centre. The older you are the less risk you can afford to take with this bug. When the number of cases fell over the summer we were more adventurous.

We live in a semi rural location and  there isn't much locally that I haven't already covered, that will appeal to customers.  As Joseph says, Liverpool, or any large city, provides many more opportunities. Our sons live in Leeds and Manchester, but whenever we visit other things take priority - looking after grandbairns, helping with house restoration etc. Maybe in the future I'll be able to exploit those resources.

The gloomy weather isn't helping, I walked some distance around Durham city yesterday and took one photo, which I have decided not to process, the weather was just too overcast and dull, while today, and possibly tomorrow, wall to wall rain is predicted. We hope to get out on Wednesday.

But, back to similars. Yes it's a problem when you are confined to base. I have taken some shots not remembering that I already have that scene covered, and not bothered to upload. In the past I have replaced images with a better version, asking Alamy to delete if the two are very similar, or going through the long haul deletion process if not. Some customers shop by date, so I guess having a mix of recent and older photos is perhaps a good idea.

• Like 1

Life in the northern counties is getting more difficult, for sure, with no obvious end in sight. Businesses which were just 'clinging on' are now facing ruin. I feel for everyone who won't be able to pay their rent or mortgage... and publicans who don't know whether to order more beer or just pour it away.  

9 minutes ago, Joseph Clemson said:

Keep safe, but make the most of a unique opportunity. 

+1

• Like 1

Joesph, I have almost 1,400 pics of Liverpool and I've covered everything I see about the lockdown. I've been here more than a year. I like our mayor. He seems to be a good and sensible guy. 

Bryan, for pics, do you like Manchester or Leeds best? 

Edited by Ed Rooney

Ed, it sucks, I haven't done much travelling at all apart from flitting between Basingstoke and Austria. Yes, I've also been revisiting the same subjects in different light and weather conditions.

But consider yourself lucky, you live in a historic city with lots of culture and tourist sights. I've taken loads of pictures of Basingstoke and they hardly ever sell!

Steve

Edited by Steve F
  • Like 1

One plan I haven't acted on yet is to look at what I have on my hard drive but have never uploaded. In the time of travel for me I concentrated on those images but I know I also took some images around the city that should be uploaded. But I am very lazy about the whole process so don't upload a lot. 

Paulette

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Joesph, I have almost 1,400 pics of Liverpool and I've covered everything I see about the lockdown. I've been here more than a year. I like our mayor. He seems to be a good and sensible guy. 

Bryan, for pics, do you like Manchester or Leeds best? 

Edo

I've had more opportunity to shoot in Leeds and there are plenty of opportunities for stock, whether it be in the city centre or in, for example, in Roundhay Park.  You can take the free water taxi from the station to the Armouries museum, while the city centre arcades, the old covered market and the corn exchange are all worth visiting. In normal times Manchester is a city with a buzz about it, it feels lively with lots of young people about and loads going on. However I've not had the chance to take many photos there, something I hope to rectify in the future. So take your pick!  

One thing, you can travel on the buses with an aged persons pass in either city, but you have to pay to use the Manchester tram network and it's not cheap. It cost almost as much for the relatively short tram ride from the city centre to my son's house as I paid for the discounted rail ticket from Leeds to Manchester.

• Thanks 1

Perhaps it helps to have some structure in these times.

Use a list of all the hotels, or churches, or health centres and hospitals, or public buildings etc

Lots of Listed Buildings in Liverpool

https://historic-liverpool.co.uk/interactive-maps/listed-buildings-liverpool/#13/53.4150/-2.9800

Edited by geogphotos
  • Thanks 1

In terms of photographing in a relatively small area (as many of us are now doing), I feel it’s possible to drill down deeper into particular subjects… even when we think we’ve already photographed everything worth photographing.

Liverpool, right now, is both typical of northern towns (post-industrial issues, low wages, urban renewal, etc) and exceptional (rise in covid cases). I’d be concentrating on the changes we choose, and the changes that are forced upon us… and find new ways to illustrate them. Traffic, housing, social services, work, leisure, or something more niche. OK… not as exciting, perhaps, as booking a flight to some sun-kissed resort, but I rather enjoy the challenge of finding new and saleable images even in places I think I know quite well.

The biggest problem, I’m finding, isn’t photographic… It’s trying to stay optimistic - and maintaining mental equilibrium - when the world is going to hell in a handcart… 

• Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Ian, your list of Listed Buildings . . . most are not on my list. It looks like the work of three lifetimes. I could use a few more pub pics.

2A53RC6.jpg

2BK8B5B.jpg

I didn't mean to do all of them Edo...just for some inspiration. Maybe all the Grade One Listed buildings within walking distance? 

Pubs are closing in Liverpool.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

.........so you could have a record of those that don't reopen🙁

There are tragedies afoot. A lot of hardworking people will lose their jobs. My problems are small by comparison. I hope Sir Paul is paying attention to what's happen in Beatlesburg.

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John Morrison said:

In terms of photographing in a relatively small area (as many of us are now doing), I feel it’s possible to drill down deeper into particular subjects… even when we think we’ve already photographed everything worth photographing.

Liverpool, right now, is both typical of northern towns (post-industrial issues, low wages, urban renewal, etc) and exceptional (rise in covid cases). I’d be concentrating on the changes we choose, and the changes that are forced upon us… and find new ways to illustrate them. Traffic, housing, social services, work, leisure, or something more niche. OK… not as exciting, perhaps, as booking a flight to some sun-kissed resort, but I rather enjoy the challenge of finding new and saleable images even in places I think I know quite well.

The biggest problem, I’m finding, isn’t photographic… It’s trying to stay optimistic - and maintaining mental equilibrium - when the world is going to hell in a handcart… 

Agree. I read an interesting article in the newspaper this morning about people waiting for their lives to get back to normal. Reality is, it’s a changed world, and it is doubtful the world will ever be like it was a year ago.

Now, that’s a hard pill to swallow. Life no longer flows from one time to the next as it has always done.
I do have a non-depressive personality, so I’m handling it pretty well. The hardest for me was probably March. Once I got past not being able to see my family when I pleased, I eventually got used to the solitude.

Life isn’t as strict as it initially was, so I welcome seeing family. Not often, but sometimes. I miss going to a restaurant, which I absolutely don’t do. I will get pickup meals, though, but rarely.

I would think the people who are used to hopping on public transportation and traveling widely feel the change the worst.

I must not take any more pictures of Lacock Bakery.

Sorry chaps, I've got nothing sensible today...but I do have 41 pictures of Lacock bakery.

Stay safe

Father McKenzie - that reminds me.

Many moons ago I visited the Roman Catholic cathedral in Liverpool, a striking, relatively modern building. I asked if I could take photos inside to be told, sure, why not!  Not what I expected and possibly not the case today?   Early days and non good enough for Alamy sadly.

Same here @Ed Rooney, and went from new country/area every few weeks to now place rented until next April.  Getting bored by marginal absolutely zero chance of licensing protest- though i still like my Cameroon friends (the High Commission is 10 minutes walk from my place). I actually do them, because i need the adrenaline of the live news requirements. did get a couple less marginal one that could have more appeal in last couple weeks, but as we are now under tighter Covid rules, i assume this will die. 

I was planning to go on long bike ride to go see the colours in Gatineau this week-end, but that got nixed when they went into Red Lockdown, and going to see leaves is not essential....  

thankfully i still have my heron friend making appearances in the park next to where i am.  couple decent reflections to process.

last week swallowing a fish

2CW3XX6.jpg

Edited by meanderingemu