Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

Ed Rooney

7 hours ago, Nigel Kirby said:

Same here in North Yorkshire Bryan we have lost all our tomato plants (10) in the greenhouse due to blight. The first time in 40 years of growing Toms.

Nigel

Bad luck Nigel ! I've just looked up whether it is safe to compost blighted tomato plants and the one source I came across advises against. I guess that mine will go into the brown garden recycling bin when the professionals can deal with it.

Edit - Just read another source which suggests that it is OK to compost blighted toms  as the spores can't survive on dead matter. However it is not OK to compost blighted potatoes as they continue to exist as living matter and will harbour the spores.

Further edit. The RHS says "Infected material should be deeply buried (below the depth of cultivation), consigned to the local council green waste collection or burned, rather than composted"

Confused, but will probably follow the RHS advice.

Edited by Bryan
  • Thanks 1

On 23/07/2023 at 23:51, Betty LaRue said:

One of my grandsons wrecked his motorcycle yesterday & broke 7 ribs. Has some pretty bad road rash, also. He nicked a lung & leaked air, so they kept him in the hospital for about 30 hours all told. Breathing is not fun & won’t be for awhile. It was scary because somebody called his wife & said he was being helicoptered (didn’t use the usual term, Life Flighted) to the hospital. For awhile we didn’t know how bad his injuries were.

The first motorist that came upon him was a nurse who saw him have enough presence of mind to crawl on hands & knees off the highway before he became road kill. She had her nursing equipment with her & began taking his BP & pulse oxygen until emergency help came. Two farmers stopped from different directions, and put their trucks sideways across the road on both sides to stop traffic. When the Highway Patrol got there, he said, “Hey, you guys did my job!”

Adam is a missionary in Mexico. He & his family came home to await the birth of their 4th child. They are staying with his parents, my daughter & her hubby.

He wore a helmet, jacket, boots & riding pants made out of a thick reinforced material. The road still ground through the pants & jacket & some skin. He was on his way from Kansas to Missouri to pick up his pastor who visited a friend & needed a ride back to Wichita.

Betty, how is your grandson doing, been nearly a month since his bad accident.  I hope recovering well!!

2 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Betty, how is your grandson doing, been nearly a month since his bad accident.  I hope recovering well!!

Thanks for asking. He’s doing better. I saw his follow up x-rays 2 weeks after his accident. Michael, I was appalled! Rib bones not only broken but ends of the breaks completely dislocated from each other…not even touching. One end above the other on several of the large rib bones.  
He told me lying in bed is still painful at night. But he’s moving around well. While his dad & brother played disc golf, he just walked with them & watched because the twist you do throwing was beyond what he could do. It will probably be months before he heals completely.

He is the one who has a newborn son, born this past Wednesday. And he’s decided not to ride again, thank God. He wants to be around to raise his young children. All of his road rash has healed, scabs gone.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

On 17/08/2023 at 13:22, Bryan said:

Bad luck Nigel ! I've just looked up whether it is safe to compost blighted tomato plants and the one source I came across advises against. I guess that mine will go into the brown garden recycling bin when the professionals can deal with it.

Edit - Just read another source which suggests that it is OK to compost blighted toms  as the spores can't survive on dead matter. However it is not OK to compost blighted potatoes as they continue to exist as living matter and will harbour the spores.

Further edit. The RHS says "Infected material should be deeply buried (below the depth of cultivation), consigned to the local council green waste collection or burned, rather than composted"

Confused, but will probably follow the RHS advice.

We hit 111 degrees yesterday. My tomatoes that should be growing as big as the palm of my hand are ripening at the size of golf balls. Thankfully no diseases, though. And they are flavorful. I need to put some more crushed egg shells on them. I will do that today.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

We hit 111 degrees yesterday. My tomatoes that should be growing as big as the palm of my hand are ripening at the size of golf balls. Thankfully no diseases, though. And they are flavorful. I need to put some more crushed egg shells on them. I will do that today.

You eat tomatoes with egg shells on them?🤨

Allan

7 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Egg shells to deter critters ? 

22 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Egg shells to deter critters ? 

No, Bryan. Crushed eggshells deliver much needed calcium to the plants that is very beneficial. I think it evens help stop blossom end rot. I don’t know if they help fruit splitting, but it seems since I began doing it, I’m not getting near the splits I once did. Just one tomato split this year. Of course, even watering helps that. 
Eggshells are best added to the compost if one has a compost pile, because the shells take awhile to break down. Crushing to a fine size is best when adding directly to the plant. 
One can just easily buy calcium to add, but my egg shells saved & crushed are free. I reuse about half of my potted tomato soil, the other half fresh, so the eggshells have time to break down. Coffee grounds are good in a compost pile, too. I’ve added both to my blender with some water to make a nice slurry. 

• Love 1

9 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

No, Bryan. Crushed eggshells deliver much needed calcium to the plants that is very beneficial. I think it evens help stop blossom end rot. I don’t know if they help fruit splitting, but it seems since I began doing it, I’m not getting near the splits I once did. Just one tomato split this year. Of course, even watering helps that. 
Eggshells are best added to the compost if one has a compost pile, because the shells take awhile to break down. Crushing to a fine size is best when adding directly to the plant. 
One can just easily buy calcium to add, but my egg shells saved & crushed are free. I reuse about half of my potted tomato soil, the other half fresh, so the eggshells have time to break down. Coffee grounds are good in a compost pile, too. I’ve added both to my blender with some water to make a nice slurry. 

Yes we add eggshells to our compost along with the coffee grounds etc., but I've read that the sharp pieces, and indeed coffee can act as a deterrent to slugs. However, an insufficient deterrent to save our delphinium plants which were wiped out this year !

7 hours ago, Bryan said:

Yes we add eggshells to our compost along with the coffee grounds etc., but I've read that the sharp pieces, and indeed coffee can act as a deterrent to slugs. However, an insufficient deterrent to save our delphinium plants which were wiped out this year !

I’ve heard that, too. My issue is hornworms. I have a beautiful honeysuckle plant in my front garden that attracts Sphinx moths. Then they fly around the corner & lay eggs. The caterpillars green color perfectly camouflage them as they munch the tender growth on my tomatoes. I pluck them off, while that horn on their rears is making me shiver.

😪😪 I broke my drone yesterday 😪😪 Entirely my own fault. I made it land on a dusty patch. Now the fan is caked with dust and won't revolve. Can't fly any more. And we were about to travel through scenic areas through the wildflowers desert bloom country... At least I didn't crash it if that's any consolation. 

I'm trying to send it for repairs but we really are in the middle of nowhere. We are about one week's drive from a small town. Then we're booked for (close your eyes/ears Bryan) the biggest BBQ in Australia, deep inland. No way to get the drone sent back anywhere in that geographical area. Too remote. Oh well, our life is full of surprises, let's see how it pans out.

• Love 1
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, gvallee said:

😪😪 I broke my drone yesterday 😪😪 Entirely my own fault. I made it land on a dusty patch. Now the fan is caked with dust and won't revolve. Can't fly any more. And we were about to travel through scenic areas through the wildflowers desert bloom country... At least I didn't crash it if that's any consolation. 

I'm trying to send it for repairs but we really are in the middle of nowhere. We are about one week's drive from a small town. Then we're booked for (close your eyes/ears Bryan) the biggest BBQ in Australia, deep inland. No way to get the drone sent back anywhere in that geographical area. Too remote. Oh well, our life is full of surprises, let's see how it pans out.

I think that must be why a lot of drone users put a landing mat down on the ground and take off and land on it.

Allan

• Love 1

24 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

I think that must be why a lot of drone users put a landing mat down on the ground and take off and land on it.

Allan

I tried a couple of times using a mat but I don't have much choice of what to use in my motorhome. What I chose was a little small and the Return to Home function is not that precise. It kept wanting to land almost missing it. I had to abort auto landing and direct it manually. Couldn't be bothered any more. Now I know I should have. 

• Like 2

In light of some of the truly terrible things you all have been going through, I feel guilty even venting here, but it’s my second day in a row to have an entire batch of images failed due to softness/lacking focus.

My submissions rarely fail, so it’s kind of bumming me out, especially since I made a big effort last weekend to go somewhere new and shoot a lot. 

I’m starting to wonder if I’m just fooling myself at making a living this way, and I’m just feeling rather down. My family already thinks what I do is stupid and doesn’t make enough money. 

Thank you for this space to whine for a moment. 

38 minutes ago, cksisson said:

In light of some of the truly terrible things you all have been going through, I feel guilty even venting here, but it’s my second day in a row to have an entire batch of images failed due to softness/lacking focus.

My submissions rarely fail, so it’s kind of bumming me out, especially since I made a big effort last weekend to go somewhere new and shoot a lot. 

I’m starting to wonder if I’m just fooling myself at making a living this way, and I’m just feeling rather down. My family already thinks what I do is stupid and doesn’t make enough money. 

Nice pictures!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cksisson said:

Of course, it might be only the one rejected image that has caused each batch to fail. Carefully check the rest and send them in. I only looked at the first page but you obviously know what you are doing and should be selling. Of course, none of us are getting the prices we used to see.

Paulette

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cksisson said:

+1 to what others have said, great pictures! I'm jealous that you are doing this full time to make a living, but it is getting much harder with prices the way they are.

If you don't mind some unsolicited advice, unless you're doing live news or covering a specific event, e.g. a festival or music concert, you don't need to put the exact date in the captions. Captions are searchable by clients, so it's good to try to make efficient use of the available 150 characters.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Mr Standfast said:

Nice pictures!

Thank you!

7 hours ago, NYCat said:

Of course, it might be only the one rejected image that has caused each batch to fail. Carefully check the rest and send them in. I only looked at the first page but you obviously know what you are doing and should be selling. Of course, none of us are getting the prices we used to see.

Paulette

Thank you so much for this encouragement! I feel I'm actually selling pretty well, and I'm happy with my progress though this year isn't quite as good as last year — I also haven't shot as much because I care for my mother, who has dementia, and my disabled uncle.

They remember when I traveled the country writing/shooting for TIME Magazine, Christian Science Monitor, etc. I can't pull that kind of money right now, because my career is basically on hold. I don't have the heart to tell my family that while it looks like all I do is "play on my computer" all day, it's actually hard to keep my butt in a broken chair for eight hours keywording and editing among constant interruptions.

But I am very fortunate that I did not have a husband and children, so I could drop everything and 360 my life to help my parents. Sure, I miss the old days, but I feel I'm doing the right thing, even if it isn't always the fun thing. 

6 hours ago, Steve F said:

+1 to what others have said, great pictures! I'm jealous that you are doing this full time to make a living, but it is getting much harder with prices the way they are.

If you don't mind some unsolicited advice, unless you're doing live news or covering a specific event, e.g. a festival or music concert, you don't need to put the exact date in the captions. Captions are searchable by clients, so it's good to try to make efficient use of the available 150 characters.

Thank you for the kind words and the advice. I must clarify — I am not making enough to live off this at the moment. It only works because I'm living at home right now, caring for multiple elderly family members. But I don't require a great deal to live (I don't have to pay rent) so I CAN see that I could probably survive just on this within maybe five more years — IF the bottom doesn't drop out of the market completely, which worries me daily. 

You're right about the dates in captions. I guess it's just an old holdover from my newspaper days. In some cases, it probably even hurts sales, especially as the images age. I'll reconsider that practice. Thank you for the advice. 

Thank you to everyone who replied. It helped my attitude as I sat down to work today tremendously. I have put my all into Alamy, and I intend to make it work.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, cksisson said:

Thank you!

Thank you so much for this encouragement! I feel I'm actually selling pretty well, and I'm happy with my progress though this year isn't quite as good as last year — I also haven't shot as much because I care for my mother, who has dementia, and my disabled uncle.

They remember when I traveled the country writing/shooting for TIME Magazine, Christian Science Monitor, etc. I can't pull that kind of money right now, because my career is basically on hold. I don't have the heart to tell my family that while it looks like all I do is "play on my computer" all day, it's actually hard to keep my butt in a broken chair for eight hours keywording and editing among constant interruptions.

But I am very fortunate that I did not have a husband and children, so I could drop everything and 360 my life to help my parents. Sure, I miss the old days, but I feel I'm doing the right thing, even if it isn't always the fun thing. 

Thank you for the kind words and the advice. I must clarify — I am not making enough to live off this at the moment. It only works because I'm living at home right now, caring for multiple elderly family members. But I don't require a great deal to live (I don't have to pay rent) so I CAN see that I could probably survive just on this within maybe five more years — IF the bottom doesn't drop out of the market completely, which worries me daily. 

You're right about the dates in captions. I guess it's just an old holdover from my newspaper days. In some cases, it probably even hurts sales, especially as the images age. I'll reconsider that practice. Thank you for the advice. 

Thank you to everyone who replied. It helped my attitude as I sat down to work today tremendously. I have put my all into Alamy, and I intend to make it work.

Nice images and clearly your a very selfless person. Good Luck!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, cksisson said:

Thank you!

Hang in there. I cared for my husband who had dementia & know all about constant interruptions, hallucinations & little sleep. Nobody knows truly how hard it is until they’ve walked in those shoes. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Bad news in my building these days. One of my neighbors has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. That is a bad one. She and I had said "hello" for decades and a couple of years ago realized we had things in common and started meeting occasionally. My apartment is the bigger one so she brings croissants and I make tea. She'd been ill lately...low blood pressure and then covid. Now the cancer diagnosis. She doesn't want to be a burden but, of course, I offered help and it's good for her to know there is someone close by. She grew up on Long Island and has family there. Also friends in the City. On a less important note it looks like I'm going to have my shower replaced AGAIN. They put in a new lead pan two years ago and it was a big noisy mess. It never was quite right with a low spot that leaves a puddle that I clear with a squeegee and sponge. A lucky thing is that I just started a three week cat-sit and I can shower there. Also, my neighbor across the hall will lend me her keys. Last time she was away the whole time and I showered there. I'm not sure about the schedule this time. 

Paulette

• Love 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, NYCat said:

Bad news in my building these days. One of my neighbors has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. That is a bad one. She and I had said "hello" for decades and a couple of years ago realized we had things in common and started meeting occasionally. My apartment is the bigger one so she brings croissants and I make tea. She'd been ill lately...low blood pressure and then covid. Now the cancer diagnosis. She doesn't want to be a burden but, of course, I offered help and it's good for her to know there is someone close by. She grew up on Long Island and has family there. Also friends in the City. On a less important note it looks like I'm going to have my shower replaced AGAIN. They put in a new lead pan two years ago and it was a big noisy mess. It never was quite right with a low spot that leaves a puddle that I clear with a squeegee and sponge. A lucky thing is that I just started a three week cat-sit and I can shower there. Also, my neighbor across the hall will lend me her keys. Last time she was away the whole time and I showered there. I'm not sure about the schedule this time. 

Paulette

So sorry about your friend. I read something years ago that said almost everyone will get cancer if they live long enough. I think as we age our immune systems get weaker.

On the shower…what a pain! Even people who allow you access to a shower, taking all the personal items you use…arghhh! I did it at camping grounds & sometimes forgot something I really needed. Let’s see: shampoo, conditioner, hairdryer, brush, soap, razor, deodorant, lotion, washcloth, towel, shower shoes, fresh clothes…give a man a bar of soap, a razor & a towel & he’s good! 

• Love 1

3 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

So sorry about your friend. I read something years ago that said almost everyone will get cancer if they live long enough. I think as we age our immune systems get weaker.

On the shower…what a pain! Even people who allow you access to a shower, taking all the personal items you use…arghhh! I did it at camping grounds & sometimes forgot something I really needed. Let’s see: shampoo, conditioner, hairdryer, brush, soap, razor, deodorant, lotion, washcloth, towel, shower shoes, fresh clothes…give a man a bar of soap, a razor & a towel & he’s good! 

😊 I'm thinking of roughing it with a bar of soap and shower cap. I was offered one of their towels and I noticed they only have liquid soap. With a bar I don't need a washcloth or one of those net things we use these days. Maybe I'm dreaming. Since I will be back here with my own things most of the time I think the showers can be minimal. Until the work is started I'm allowed to do VERY quick showers here. And I do love to stand in that warm water. Not until this is over. I think all hair washing will be done in the kitchen sink. I just heard from a friend that she has a ghastly toothache and is headed for the dentist. It makes me feel I am just fine. People think of dentists as causing pain but my dentist father always thought he was called to relieve pain and give people healthy teeth to chew their food.

Paulette

Edited by NYCat
  • Love 1