2020 June Favorite Uploads

Took a Sunday drive, yesterday, with my son, out to the farmlands, north of DC, in Maryland.  Shot some pics along the way.  A couple horses grazing and an American bullfrog. My son is on the autism spectrum (22yrs old) and doesn't socialize much but loves animals of all kinds so we try and go for a drive once a week looking for wildlife (even farm animals will do). He spotted the frog on a walk.

Horses in a field of buttercups in Poolesville Maryland MD horse farm Stock Photo

animals-frogs-american-bullfrog-lithobates-catesbeianus-near-a-pond-in-poolesville-maryland-md-adult-2BWD1K4.jpg

Edited by Michael Ventura
  • Love 4

Your son makes me think of Alan Rabinowitz. He had a terrible stutter as a child and could only speak to animals. His disability and the relationship he formed with a lone jaguar in the zoo led him to become an advocate for the big cats, especially for jaguars....

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/2018/08/alan-rabinowitz-big-cat-champion-news/

Paulette

• Love 1

I photographed this last year but only uploaded it recently.

Hopefully the rodeo season will start up again soon.

Barrel Racer at the Piikani Nation Rodeo, Brocket Alberta Canada

barrel-racer-at-the-piikani-nation-rodeo-brocket-alberta-canada-2BW0PK6.jpg

• Love 8

Just now, Regis said:

You have meet Brutus?

Of course. Twice. He's now lost all his teeth and wouldn't survive without being fed.

• Love 2

Corypha utan, also known as a Cabbage palm. It grows up to 20 meters tall and bears fronds 4 to 6 meters long. Like other palms of genus Corypha, this species flowers at the end of its lifetime, producing a massive inflorescence up to 5 meters tall containing up to one million flowers palm tree.
This tree is estimated to be around 50 years old, and it should die in about a month, as it started to get flowers about a week ago.
(This could nearly have been some Live News pictures... 😉)

corypha-utan-also-known-as-a-cabbage-pal

That is not much in the grand scheme of things and life, but I was rather happy to have seen it.

• Love 1

4 minutes ago, gvallee said:

Of course. Twice. He's now lost all his teeth and wouldn't survive without being fed.

I sometimes go fishing on that river, I always make sure that I stay well and truly in the boat.

• Love 1

8 minutes ago, Regis said:

I sometimes go fishing on that river, I always make sure that I stay well and truly in the boat.

Our boat was surrounded by crocs even before leaving the jetty. There's now one male and his females for every 100m in the river. You just have to hope that the boat won't catch fire or suffer any other mishap... We're told to keep arms and camera inside the boat but on one trip, someone stuck his telephoto in between the rails. A croc went for it and missed by only cms.

The funny thing is that I took my camera in for sensor cleaning. I was asked if I also wanted a camera body clean-up which I declined. The very next day, it got totally splattered with mud from thrashing crocs. I saved money!!

Edited by gvallee

51 minutes ago, Alan Beastall said:

Whippet, rubber ball and Ox-eye daisies. UK weather live news image yesterday and now after several weeks of hot/dry weather its now raining. About time.

2BWMTXA.jpg

A la sauvette indeed. The smile on his face. Perfect.

Edited by spacecadet

I know there are many thousands of images of Highland Cattle on Alamy, but as the UK heatwave comes to an end, I couldn't resist submitting a shot of this really laid-back steer lying in the shade.

1st June 2020, as the heatwave continues in Southern England, a highland steer, still retaining its winter coat, cools down in the shade of pine trees - Stock Image

Russell
  • Love 1

Couple of images from Tokyo, Japan beginning of February '20

7-eleven-convenience-store-sign-against-

[Japanese 7-Eleven!  You don't need to know the language to translate Japanese Text ;)]

bridge-over-sumida-river-and-asakusa-dis

[Truss bridge over Sumida River, looking towards Asakusa District]

• Love 1

A sign of the times. Boarding up Target to guard against looters. By some miracle, this Target remained unscathed. Looters completely trashed other big box stores, Best Buy and Decathalon, just across the parking lot, however.

Workers board up Target store windows to safeguard against looters after the killing of George Floyd by a police officer in Minneapolis. Oakland, CA Stock Photo

• Like 1

This is one of the times when I wish I had 40+ MP rather than just 24 as there's so much detail to resolve. It was miserable weather all day, but the sun peaked out for a brief time as it was setting so I grabbed my tripod and managed to get this dramatic lighting shot from the comfort of my balcony 🙂 The heavens opened up a few minutes later..... 🌨️

an-aerial-overhead-panoramic-view-of-a-s

• Love 1

Went for a drive on Sunday in my brother's new Tesla Model Y SUV.  A pretty nice ride, surprised at the power it has from a full stop.  I added the sun flare to this one tho it wasn't far off from reality. The autopilot on it is quite impressive. The future is here. Probably no sales in the U.K. due to the left side drivers seat.

usa-maryland-tesla-electric-car-model-type-y-suv-automobile-being-driven-by-a-man-2BXYY2B.jpg

• Love 1

Human Skulls in Tuol Sleng War Crimes Genocide Museum,  site of former school used at Khmer Rouge Regime as Security Prison.

prisoner-skulls-in-tuol-sleng-war-crimes

This place gives you cripes and is very emotionally disturbing.  Almost like you can feel unspeakable suffering that happened once.

• Thanks 1