My Jammed RX100/6?

This little Sony is two-years old. Yesterday it jammed. It will turn on and off but does not respond to any other commands. I've changed the battery and the memory card. It didn't help. If we were living in ordinary times, I'd pack it up and send it for repair. Not now. 

Do any of you have any tricks up your sleeve?

Edo

No suggestions about how you might fix it but if you don't then Fixation in London are still operating. They are authorised Sony repairers and the RX100-VI is on their list of cameras. If you ring them and tell them your problem and your history, you might even be able to talk to someone who could help on the phone - they prioritise working pros so definitely tell them your history if you do contact them. 

Ed, you might try a reboot, not sure how it’s done because I’ve never had to do it. You lose all your settings and have to go through setup again like when you bought it. I’ve heard sometimes doing that fixes things. I would try that, after searching out how to do it. I believe our resident Sony RX guru wim could walk you through it. Do that first before sending it somewhere. It’s free!

Betty

https://www.sony.co.th/en/electronics/support/articles/00026099

Edited by Betty LaRue

🤪 Even finding packaging and mailing something is daunting with the lockdown. But thank you all for the suggestions; they make sense. Even Betty's techno fix. 

However—I ordered a used (as new) RX100-V from MPB Photo today for 544 pounds. These are the people I bought my Sony a6000 from and to whom I sold most of my Nikon kit. That was at their NY office, but it's a UK company. So I can take my time about getting the 100/6 fixed. 

For a year I had both an RX100/3 and 100/6. I gave the 3 to a friend in Maine. I wasn't happy with the autofocus, but my friend likes to use manual focus. I've been thinking about getting a second mini. Both the 100/6 and 100/V have the newer, better autofocus. 

And how are you doing, Michael? The full recovery time is slow with this virus. 

Stay safe, everyone.

Edo

Edited by Ed Rooney

Sorry to hear of your RX100 problems. Shame the reset is a menu option and not a recessed button. I used the reset once soon after buying my Mk6, I screwed something in the menu, it was quicker resetting it rather than spending ages in the menu. Now I'm quite familiar with the menu. I used the RX100 today photographing fisherman at a local reservoir and canal, they were glad the lockdown has been relaxed, although I doubt the fish do. Less intimidating than a D750 and 24-70.

Any warning messages? https://helpguide.sony.net/dsc/1750/v1/en/contents/TP0001117206.html

Any error code? https://helpguide.sony.net/dsc/1750/v1/en/contents/TP0001117221.html

The only trick I know is to hold it down with the lens on the table and a hand on the back while turning it on. But that's for re-aligning the focus drive-train.

If the lens doesn't come out at all, that's probably no solution.

Someone mentions a magic button trick: holding both shutter and OK for 30 sec.

wim

My little Sony turns on and everything lights up. Then things go no further—no zoom, no focus, no menu, no anything. I tried the 2 button trick. No good.

Edited by Ed Rooney

3 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

And how are you doing, Michael? The full recovery time is slow with this virus. 

Stay safe, everyone.

Edo

Alive Alive O Edo and happy to be so 😂. Poco a poco as you often say yourself. There are a lot of reports of slow recovery coming out now. I'm taking it easy and using the time out to learn new stuff so feeling positive if a bit frustrated at the recovery time. Not doing a lot of shooting at the moment but I feel it coming on 🤣.  

I'm not familiar with Sony cameras but I've read that with the Nikon DSLRs the 'factory reset' trick doesn't actually reset everything.  The only way to do that is to take the battery out and leave it for a long time (could be days or even weeks) until the internal back-up battery is completely flat.  The way to check it's flat is to insert the battery and check if the clock has reset (of course that isn't an option if you still can't get into the menu).

I would assume the Sony has some sort of internal power source to retain at least the clock settings so it might be worth a try - take the battery out and leave it for a couple of months then try again.

1 hour ago, Vincent Lowe said:

I'm not familiar with Sony cameras but I've read that with the Nikon DSLRs the 'factory reset' trick doesn't actually reset everything.  The only way to do that is to take the battery out and leave it for a long time (could be days or even weeks) until the internal back-up battery is completely flat.  The way to check it's flat is to insert the battery and check if the clock has reset (of course that isn't an option if you still can't get into the menu).

I would assume the Sony has some sort of internal power source to retain at least the clock settings so it might be worth a try - take the battery out and leave it for a couple of months then try again.

This is what that link says:

1. Remove the battery from the camera.
  2. Set the power switch to ON.
  3. Press and hold the shutter button for 2 minutes.
  4. Set the power switch to OFF.
  5. Insert the battery back to the camera.
  6. Set the power switch to ON to see if the camera will turn on

So those 2 minutes will probably be enough to drain that capacitor (= probably that internal power source).

Ah I stand corrected: the exploded view of the MK1 says: Bt900 lithium rechargeable battery. Most probably it's still in the MK6 as well. The capacitor is there, but only to regulate charging via cable it seems.

It seems the self-diagnosis function should start by itself. Any chance it's only displayed in the EVF?

Now how does one force the thing to display error codes if it doesn't start by itself?

wim

I'm gonna stop trying these at-home fixes; I could easily make things worse. And I've already solved the problem by using the traditional American solution to everything: throw money at it.

My new (used) RX100-V should be here early in the week. After that, when the time is right, I'll send the RX100-6 somewhere for repair. 

Since I only shoot editorial stock these days, the pocket-size Sonys are my go-to kit. If, like Michael V and Michael M, I was still shooting assignments, I would be waving about a large DSLR or two. I would be romancing the client. Italians call that Bella figura

At present, I own three mirrorless Sonys: the RX100-6, an original RX10, and an a6000 with three Sony lenses—10-18, 28-70, and a 50mm f1.8 prime. I would sell the RX10, but it has a cracked rear mirror. 

Thank you again for the suggestions. 

Edo

Got my new (used) RX100 V from MBP today. I'm now going through the menu setup, a pleasure for some, torture for me. 

Which file format is best for stills? It's set at XAVC SHD. I can't open the menu on my broken RX100/6. And does the file format matter?

Edo

XAVC is video. There's a filmstrip sign preceding file format.

Mine is at 4K; not HD.

It only matters when you happen on something you need to film.

There are some setup threads on dpreview. I would say that M6 M5 and VA are more or less the same in this respect.

wim

Ah so, thanks so much, Wim. I half remember asking this same question back when I got my RX100/3. 

I'm gonna go out now and pop some snaps (sorry Chuck) to see if I enjoy the faster lens as I once did. 70mm is long enough for 90% of my captures. 

It's a bit early to compliment MPB for their pro behaviour but the packaging and delivery were first rate. And now I have a box to send off my RX100/6 for repair. 

Edo

• Love 1

Not sure if someone actually gave you the love heart but I was trying to give you an "up" green arrow and it was playing up so it might be me who gave the "love heart". Sorry.

I like you but don't know if I love you YET.🤪

Allan

• 3 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I took my Sony RX10 out for a walk today. It was fun and relaxing to use something that is so much like the SLRs I used for so long. 

I tried the early RX10 but did not like it and could not get on with it.

Are the newer models any better?

Allan

My RX10 is the original. Sony came out with a later model with a 24-600 zoom. Not really what I need for the inner city. These are bridge cameras, the step between a DSLR and a pocket mirrorless. 

Edo

2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

I tried the early RX10 but did not like it and could not get on with it.

Are the newer models any better?

Allan

Most people seem to really like the RX10. The legendary Jeff G. burned through at least a couple of them as I remember. The 24-600 zoom sounds a bit risky, but I believe that some forum members have reported that it's good even at the long end. Never used this camera myself, though.

I had the older model with the more limited, but still nice, zoom. But then upgraded to the IV with the long range zoom and never thought I would use the long end of the zoom that much. But I have much and VERY happy with the results. I think the difference in weight is about a half pound.

JeffG had the 24-600 model when he was last around these parts. I like to pull back a bit from the 200 mm point on both my RX10 and RX100/6. However, I've yet to have a QC problem with either camera on the long end. 

For what I do these days, I can go without that occasional very long frame. I used to travel with a 500mm and a telex tender. 

Michael, do you find that the RX10 with the 24-600 helps with PR for clients?