My Jammed RX100/6?

2 hours ago, MDM said:

Apologies for interrupting the party but just wanted to let Edo know that Fixation are now repairing Sony kit again including RX100 series if his camera should take a turn for the worse again. Fixation are very reliable and trustworthy authorised repairers.

I never could feel the love for Sinatra's music but then I am a simple guy. Give me Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, Jerry Garcia, Robert Hunter, Loretta Lynn, Dolly Parton, Dwight Yoakam, Vince Gill and countless other Americana representatives of the Great American Songbook any day. Each to his/her own 🤠.

Party on people .......

Thanks, Michael. I hope I don't have to send my RX100-6 to them. So far, it continues to function.

The music we first and forever take to our hearts has to do with what they were playing when we reached puberty. It's just that simple.

The Great American Songbook is the work of the Broadway musical composers—Irving Berlin, Rodgers and H and H, Cole Porter, the Gershwin Bros, Webber, Lerner and Lowe, Steven Sondheim. Country is something else.

28 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

The music we first and forever take to our hearts has to do with what they were playing when we reached puberty. It's just that simple.

This is true a large degree but in the case of Sinatra, it was what playing in my house as a kid.  My parents entertained a lot and music was always playing after dinner....mostly jazz, big band and the "Rat Pack" crooners.  The Girl from Ipanema was always in the mix as well.  So I grew to really appreciate that music....while what I was listening to with my friends was a big mix of rock and soul music...from Al Green to Jefferson Airplane to Joni Mitchell.  Didn't really start to appreciate country til much later.

I always liked everything Elvis. (Except his awful movies, 😁) I cried like a baby when he died. As when Marlyn Monroe died. As when Jack Kennedy was killed, although I was too young to vote for him.
Too many deaths of my favorite people, and expect to hear something like that about Willie Nelson before too long. Last country show I saw him on, just a couple of months ago, he sat on a stool while singing “parts” of a song with a female singer, and he seemed confused, lost, and looked at her (while she stood) to get his cues. His voice was still Willie, but tentative.

Breaks my heart.
Blue Eyes Cryin’ in the Rain.

23 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Thanks, Michael. I hope I don't have to send my RX100-6 to them. So far, it continues to function.

The Great American Songbook is the work of the Broadway musical composers—Irving Berlin, Rodgers and H and H, Cole Porter, the Gershwin Bros, Webber, Lerner and Lowe, Steven Sondheim. Country is something else.

Sorry Edo. I should have read what that meant.  

I was thinking broadly of Americana as American roots music and all the genres that have been spawned from this. This would include ragtime jazz and the much more sophisticated music that came from it. The Great American Songbook is a little bit refined for my taste but I certainly appreciate the value and complexity of the genre.

I love blues as well as country in the broadest sense. If we take this all back a lot further, it is not hard to see the influence of Irish-Scottish folk music as well as original African slave music. This is music that touches the soul directly. There is no sound more lonesome nor more sweet than the Irish Uillean Pipes playing an Irish air accompanied by a simple bodhrán that seems to come out of the ocean and the depths of the Earth itself.

Modern rock music owes an awful lot to the merging of blues and country into rock n' roll as with Elvis's early hits. One of my earliest memories is Bill Haley's Rock Around the Clock playing on a Saturday evening TV show in the late 50s. My biggest influences were the Beatles and Stones in the 60s. The early Beatles records were very strongly influenced by the music of Buck Owens with the twangy guitars not to mention ole Ringo getting a go on vocals with Act Naturally. The Stones had some serious country influenced songs - Keith Richards was heavily influenced by Gram Parsons. In the early 70s I discovered the Americana voyage of the Grateful Dead in Workingman's Dead and culminating in the American Beauty album which is probably my favourite album of all time. This is complex music which is made to sound very simple. I could keep going as there is so much music that I love. I guess in the end it is whatever touches the soul that counts. 

Edited by MDM

Basic blues is technically very interesting. It's music based on an African scale (a different tuning) but played on European instruments. In order to do that, they play both a minor and major 3rd, a dominant 7th, and often a flat 5th. On guitars and horns, you can bend notes. But not on a piano. The form is 12 bars. A statement that's repeated and then a summing up. 

Before I was a writer, before I was a photographer, before I was an actor, I was a musician. Now I listen to all kinds of music but to more classical than anything else. 

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Better not go there Edo. It's Friday night and you know what that can lead to. Take care and happy listening. 

Edited by MDM

20 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I always liked everything Elvis. (Except his awful movies, 😁) I cried like a baby when he died. As when Marlyn Monroe died. As when Jack Kennedy was killed, although I was too young to vote for him.
Too many deaths of my favorite people, and expect to hear something like that about Willie Nelson before too long. Last country show I saw him on, just a couple of months ago, he sat on a stool while singing “parts” of a song with a female singer, and he seemed confused, lost, and looked at her (while she stood) to get his cues. His voice was still Willie, but tentative.

Breaks my heart.
Blue Eyes Cryin’ in the Rain.

Try this one for a weird experience. The whole album on Youtube; Spotify.

That first one sounded so familiar though...

Then I knew: Elvis + The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra = Eldorado!

Now I Can't Get It Out of My Head anymore. https://tweakers.net/g/s/bonk.gif

wim

10 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

Try this one for a weird experience. The whole album on Youtube; Spotify.

That first one sounded so familiar though...

Then I knew: Elvis + The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra = Eldorado!

Now I Can't Get It Out of My Head anymore. https://tweakers.net/g/s/bonk.gif

wim

Wow! Lol.