Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

11 minutes ago, Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg said:
Oliver Anthony responded to my comment on one of his Youtube videos.
(not good news, gobsmacked news)
He is record setting US country music cultural phenomenon.
He was unknown couple months ago.

I saw an interview with him and was very impressed. He was much more thoughtful and complicated than I expected judging by the way the media was portraying him.

Paulette

7 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Well done. Was your asthma addressed?

Around 2001, I had a cardiac ablation, which is a procedure where the doctor went through my femoral artery & threaded a wire to my heart. The bad heart “wiring” that caused the problem was then burned.  It stopped the worst of my cardiac arrhythmia, the death rhythm part (I hope!) that’s ventricular but not 100% of all the different types I have. I take meds for the rest, Mainly for the tachycardia. I’ve had over 240 beats per minute before. The medicine has mostly stopped that.

Thanks for asking, asthma is under control. 

My friend's hotel has her first Chinese tourist.  A number of Chinese techs have been working in Nicaragua and apparently the word got out about the highlands here.   My brother has been enjoying himself and the coffee my landlord's coffee shop has, which he says is the best espresso he's had in Paris or the US.   My landlord grows the coffee for the shop. 

I was listening to Radio 4 this morning re a study on how walking backwards was good for you in many ways. I often do this when photographing a march, and sometimes the walk speeds up to a jog. So if true that’s great. I’ve only come a cropper twice doing this, once when tripping over a traffic cone, and going back much further when I trod on a woman’s foot. I apologised and she was ok. That incident prompted me to take out public liability insurance, which I still renew each year.

5 hours ago, sb photos said:

I was listening to Radio 4 this morning re a study on how walking backwards was good for you in many ways. I often do this when photographing a march, and sometimes the walk speeds up to a jog. So if true that’s great. I’ve only come a cropper twice doing this, once when tripping over a traffic cone, and going back much further when I trod on a woman’s foot. I apologised and she was ok. That incident prompted me to take out public liability insurance, which I still renew each year.

Presumably an episode of the Just One Thing series with Dr Michael Mosely ?  Not sure that I would be tempted to walk backwards, but the next episode recommends listening to music, which can only be a good thing !

So excited! There has been significant rain the last two nights on Christmas Island, triggering the 60 million red crabs migration. We are flying in tomorrow! How lucky is that, we booked in March on a gamble our visit would coincide! 

• Love 1
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, gvallee said:

So excited! There has been significant rain the last two nights on Christmas Island, triggering the 60 million red crabs migration. We are flying in tomorrow! How lucky is that, we booked in March on a gamble our visit would coincide! 

Wow, that's lucky. Hope you have a great time and get lots of amazing photos.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, VbFolly said:

Wow, that's lucky. Hope you have a great time and get lots of amazing photos.

Thank you Gillian! I've packed up a lot of equipment, I hope my suitcase arrives! 

47 minutes ago, gvallee said:

That should be something wonderful to see and photograph. Just try to keep yourselves and your photographic kit dry. How long does the crab migration go on for?

7 minutes ago, sb photos said:

That should be something wonderful to see and photograph. Just try to keep yourselves and your photographic kit dry. How long does the crab migration go on for?

I know I'll be lying in water, mud and rain to be at eye level, I have prepared hubby to help me get up... 

The Nikon D4 I'll be using is waterproof, but I've taken a rain poncho to cover the equipment.

The migration happens in several stages. If I got this right, it's as follows:

Males and females come down from the forest onto beaches - takes 5 days

Once on the beach, they mate and males return to the forest

Females gestate their eggs for several weeks.

Babies are born and spend two weeks at sea.

Babies make the journey into the forest.

Full moon and rain are mandatory. 

• Like 2

That is so wonderful Gen! I find it so amazing the role that things like the moon and rain play in making things happen or not in the animal world. It’s great to have that to look forward to. Have heaps of fun, including wallowing in the mud! You feel like you’re really alive when immersed that much in nature and the elements.

• Love 1

2 hours ago, gvallee said:

I know I'll be lying in water, mud and rain to be at eye level, I have prepared hubby to help me get up... 

The Nikon D4 I'll be using is waterproof, but I've taken a rain poncho to cover the equipment.

The migration happens in several stages. If I got this right, it's as follows:

Males and females come down from the forest onto beaches - takes 5 days

Once on the beach, they mate and males return to the forest

Females gestate their eggs for several weeks.

Babies are born and spend two weeks at sea.

Babies make the journey into the forest.

Full moon and rain are mandatory. 

A great project to undertake. Wish you the best of luck and hope you get many brilliant images.

When hubby helps you up don't forget to ask him to brush the crabs off your back.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

A great project to undertake. Wish you the best of luck and hope you get many brilliant images.

When hubby helps you up don't forget to ask him to brush the crabs off your back.

Allan

Ha ha. Those are biggish crabs. I once had little blue soldier crabs crawl up my shorts while photographing them on a beach.

9 hours ago, gvallee said:

Ha ha. Those are biggish crabs. I once had little blue soldier crabs crawl up my shorts while photographing them on a beach.

Not as exciting as your crab expedition, but I did spot one of your photos in The Times yesterday. Check out the Alamy images found thread. 🙂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bryan said:

Not as exciting as your crab expedition, but I did spot one of your photos in The Times yesterday. Check out the Alamy images found thread. 🙂

Thank you so much. Bryan, we need you here. I've arrived at Christmas Island, A$20 (10.50 Pounds) for a lettuce...

• Like 1

We arrived at Christmas Island but were a bit puzzled. We flew from Perth for 1h30, then landed at a military base to refuel. Just a sip from a small truck.

Then flew 3h30, landed at Cocos Island and Keeling, then refuelled. Again just a sip.

Flew 1h30 to our destination.

What was this all about for an Airbus A320? We had to find out.

It turned out that being such a remote island in the Indian Ocean, the island is only re-supplied for groceries every two weeks. Prices in the shops are exhorbitant. Hence locals fly from Perth with lots of extra luggage, bringing in their own supplies. We saw eskies (cool boxes) and numerous cardboard boxes. The plane needs more fuel for the extra payload.

Also, the pilot needs visibility to land on the island. 20% of planes don't make it because of bad weather, and have to turn round and divert to Indonesia which is the closest, so they need extra fuel just in case. During Covid, it was not possible and had to return to Cocos Islands. Hence fuel again. Not simple to run an airline on that route.

Oh and yes, we saw crabs... Just outside the airport...

• Like 3

On 15/11/2023 at 09:35, sb photos said:

I saw a video recently about this. If I remember right, it’s supposed to help with bent over or leaning forward posture when you walk, helping to reverse it. But it is recommended to do it only in a safe place like in your home where there is nothing to trip over or outdoors on flat, clear areas.

Edited by Betty LaRue

My brother had his 69th birthday in Nicaragua with a mariachi band playing for him as he danced with the friend who runs the hotel.  Then Miss Nicaragua won the Miss Universe contest and the street has been blowing horns, screaming with joy, and playing music loud beyond our earlier contribution to happy streets.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Went for my 6 month check up at the dentists today and was given the all clear. He poked around a bit removing plaque but that was it.  He normally drags me back to ream out my mouth using grinding wheels etc, so happy to find that unnecessary.  Maybe the rechargeable electric toothbrush that I indulged in has turned out to be a good buy ?

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

Went for my 6 month check up at the dentists today and was given the all clear. He poked around a bit removing plaque but that was it.  He normally drags me back to ream out my mouth using grinding wheels etc, so happy to find that unnecessary.  Maybe the rechargeable electric toothbrush that I indulged in has turned out to be a good buy ?

I can't find the bad news thread... but I've got to have 3 molars out :(.  My own fault, havent been to the dentist since before Covid, havent been able to get anyone to take me on since the last dentist appeared to dump me. Regrets, I have a few....

9 hours ago, StokeCreative said:

I can't find the bad news thread... but I've got to have 3 molars out :(.  My own fault, havent been to the dentist since before Covid, havent been able to get anyone to take me on since the last dentist appeared to dump me. Regrets, I have a few....

Oh dear, sorry to hear that ! Hope  you can find a dentist.  Years ago the bloke we used went private and wanted to charge a fortune, but we were able to find a good HHS practice locally. I get the impression that NHS dentistry is in a bit of a crisis these days, with many people unable to sign up in their area.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cecile Marion said:

I found a good electric toothbrush can make a world of difference. I also have a portable water flosser I really like using.

Had to look up the water flosser, my wife has the patience to floss the old way, but I confess that I don't bother. Xmas is coming, you never know....