Birmingham Photography Show

This will be the first time I am visiting the show. Free entry, so why not? I’ll be there on Monday 16th. Anyone else likely to be around for a meet up?

Edited by Sally
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

Who on earth is giving red arrows, have you never heard of 'banter' 🤬

Oh, here we go.  Some sad muppet is dishing out red arrows.  Pathetic...  Some people have probaby never heard of 'banter'.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Betty LaRue said:

Gave you a greenie. Doesn’t that cancel a red anymore? So that the red doesn’t show?

Thanks Betty. 😊  It essentially cancels out the red, but the red still shows.

• Like 2

Just now, Colblimp said:

Thanks Betty. 😊  It essentially cancels out the red, but the red still shows.

I guess some people truly don’t understand when someone is teasing/joking. My sis was married to a very nice gentleman. Second marriage. My family teases and gives out friendly insults like what’s gone on here.. The whole family knows those remarks aren’t meant seriously. The gentleman newcomer to the family was shocked at our banter.  He was frequently saying, “Jean! Don’t say that!” We just rolled our eyes and carried on. I’m sure he thought we were the rudest family he’d ever seen.

im trying to give the benefit of the doubt, here.  I hope the guilty read this and give themselves a hand face plant as we speak.

Betty

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I guess some people truly don’t understand when someone is teasing/joking. My sis was married to a very nice gentleman. Second marriage. My family teases and gives out friendly insults like what’s gone on here.. The whole family knows those remarks aren’t meant seriously. The gentleman newcomer to the family was shocked at our banter.  He was frequently saying, “Jean! Don’t say that!” We just rolled our eyes and carried on. I’m sure he thought we were the rudest family he’d ever seen.

im trying to give the benefit of the doubt, here.  I hope the guilty read this and give themselves a hand face plant as we speak.

Betty

It drives me mad when people don't 'get' banter.  I met Paul in London just after Christmas and we spent the day walking, talking, shooting.  'Twas a great day, with plenty of banter, so it clearly is nothing nasty.  🤔

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Colblimp said:

It drives me mad when people don't 'get' banter.  I met Paul in London just after Christmas and we spent the day walking, talking, shooting.  'Twas a great day, with plenty of banter, so it clearly is nothing nasty.  🤔

I think it's a shame there are now so many tiny, almost indistinguishable, emoji's available when posting on this forum. I find it hard to tell the difference between them or what they are supposed to indicate. They've almost lost their usefulness and using them to indicate a comment made in jest may easily get missed? I'm not defending the red arrow, but when other contributors may not know those posting the comments, or the relationship between them, I can see where confusion could arise.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

It must be a misunderstanding I think, it seems to happen from time to time and could well be cultural. This comment about Windows Vista, of all things,  attracted a red arrow recently:

"Vista was a total disaster. I didn't even know what all the junk on my HP (bought new) was. I wonder what Lenovo desktop towers are like. I believe they're made in China, but what isn't these days..."

I dobbed in a green arrow but how could this offend? Disaffected Windows Vista Project Manager? 

11 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

It must be a misunderstanding I think, it seems to happen from time to time and could well be cultural. This comment about Windows Vista, of all things,  attracted a red arrow recently:

"Vista was a total disaster. I didn't even know what all the junk on my HP (bought new) was. I wonder what Lenovo desktop towers are like. I believe they're made in China, but what isn't these days..."

I dobbed in a green arrow but how could this offend? Disaffected Windows Vista Project Manager? 

May have been interpreted as a slam on China. Who knows.

Well I'm only an occasional on the forums but just been made redundant at work so going to be doing more stock hopefully and am going to the show, not sure which day yet but be happy to meet up and say hi, if you'll have me 🚻  (too many emojis dammit)

By the way I don't see any red arrows 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Steve Tucker said:

Well I'm only an occasional on the forums but just been made redundant at work so going to be doing more stock hopefully and am going to the show, not sure which day yet but be happy to meet up and say hi, if you'll have me 🚻  (too many emojis dammit)

By the way I don't see any red arrows 

Sorry to read about your redundancy - it would be great to meet you in March!

• Like 1

On 04/01/2020 at 11:21, Sally said:

This will be the first time I am visiting the show. Free entry, so why not? I’ll be there on Monday 16th. Anyone else likely to be around for a meet up?

How come it’s free - is this an Alamy perk? Disappointed to see the red and green arrow thing here, it was tested on the SS contributor discussion site and several regulars stopped contributing including myself as a result.