Birmingham Photography Show

4 hours ago, AndrewP said:

It's just been announced that the show will now be held from Saturday 19th September until Tuesday 22nd September.

Thanks, I was hoping it wasn't going to take until next week, perhaps I can now change my train ticket seeing as I can't get a refund, although having just checked I have had the e-mail conf

Chris

We are getting ready soon to start March Madness, the NCAA college basketball tournaments that go on for weeks. It has been announced today that there will be no fans allowed. Empty stands other than 125 tickets given to each team for player and coach’s families.

Although the Photo show is cancelled, I see that some of the "show deals" from some exhibitors are available for the next 3 days via their websites.

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/latest-offers/

https://www.cameraworld.co.uk/sale

London Camera Exchange - try discount codes Photoshow20 or TPSOL20 (Olympus products) or  TPSCAN20 (Canon products) when checking out.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

2 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

Although the Photo show is cancelled, I see that some of the "show deals" from some exhibitors are available for the next 3 days via their websites.

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/latest-offers/

https://www.cameraworld.co.uk/sale

London Camera Exchange - try discount codes Photoshow20 or TPSOL20 (Olympus products) or  TPSCAN20 (Canon products) when checking out.

Mark

Postponed rather than cancelled...New dates 19th - 22nd September.

Wex are also doing show based daily deals...

Phil

• 2 months later...

Photography Show now cancelled for this year and re-scheduled for September 18th - 21st 2021, 'Virtual Festival on September 20th & 21st this year.

The Photography Show and The Video Show 2020

We're really sorry to say that this year's show at the NEC will not be going ahead due to continued uncertainty around hosting large events.

BUT, we're pleased to announce that for the first time ever, we'll be hosting The Photography Show & The Video Show as a virtual festival on Sunday, 20 and Monday, 21 September 2020.

While we're pretty disappointed not to be making the annual trip to Birmingham, we're really excited about taking the show online and we think it's a fantastic opportunity to try something new, and show off photography and video in a different way to our 'norm'. The event will be free to attend from the comfort of your own home. Further info coming soon...

Next year, the show will return to its home at the NEC (18-21 September 2021) and all entry tickets and passes booked and confirmed for the March 2020 event will be valid. If you are a ticket holder and would prefer a refund, you can request one here - but we hope you'll stick with us.

Thank you for your understanding and we look forward to seeing you in September, virtually!

Kind regards,

The Photography Show & The Video Show team

• Thanks 1

Very sensible decision to put it off until September 2021. If they had decided on  March 2021 then there is every chance of it being postponed again if there is another big wave next winter which seems very likely unless there is a reliable and safe vaccine before then which by most accounts is very unlikely.

Some companies are in a magical thinking phase at the moment. I got an email from one of the big UK pro photo labs yesterday more or less declaring the pandemic to be over in mid-June, as photo studios will be allowed to reopen, how we are going to beat this virus by will power alone and what a great time it is to be a professional portrait photographer as the masses line up to have their studio portraits done, having realised during lockdown how vital this is during lockdown. It could have been written by oh better stop there before I get political. 😎

Edited by MDM

36 minutes ago, MDM said:

Very sensible decision to put it off until September 2021. If they had decided on  March 2021 then there is every chance of it being postponed again if there is another big wave next winter which seems very likely unless there is a reliable and safe vaccine before then which by most accounts is very unlikely.

Some companies are in a magical thinking phase at the moment. I got an email from one of the big UK pro photo labs yesterday more or less declaring the pandemic to be over in mid-June, as photo studios will be allowed to reopen, how we are going to beat this virus by will power alone and what a great time it is to be a professional portrait photographer as the masses line up to have their studio portraits done, having realised during lockdown how vital this is during lockdown. It could have been written by oh better stop there before I get political. 😎

When the Photography Show was cancelled I thought rescheduling to September was extremely optimistic so am not surprised.

After the recent lockdown easing and talk of what may happen next, I do think a large percentage of our population already think the Pandemic is over. They certainly behave as if it is. Personally I'm still photographing, but mainly locally and being extremely cautious. Good job I didn't renew my travel card, it would have been money wasted.

Edited by sb photos

I remember very early on in the pandemic reports of an internal memo to members of one of the major UK professional photographic associations to the effect that it needn't necessarily be all bad news for them, essentially that the risk of losing loved ones could be a bonus to the portrait business, an opportunity.....

I don't think I've got any illusions as to how long this might go on for  but nevertheless it was chastening to see that re-scheduled date for 15 months hence. However the organisers have presumably lost a considerable amount of money already and would be risking more losses by planning for March 2021 and having to postpone again. Contrast this to the travel and hospitality businesses lobbying to get things back to normal, to bring down social distancing to 1 metre and abandon the quarantine before it has even begun. 1 metre would essentially mean 0 metres in practice. I know these are dire times for those industries, and for many on here, but it doesn't mean they can create their own custom version of reality.

Edited by Harry Harrison
  • Love 1
  • Like 1