Birmingham Photography Show

2 minutes ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

Working photographers get free entry, nothing to do with alamy 

Hmm, not sure I qualify, I’ll take a look. Thanks for the response. As I recall the parking charge accounted for a large part of the day’s expenses but still worth it for the special deals.

1 hour ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

Working photographers get free entry, nothing to do with alamy 

Indeed, that is the case. I was also advised by a colleague not to go at the weekend as it is so much more busy. Plus the Monday and Tuesday are geared more towards professionals with relevant masterclasses available. I signed up for one.

Edited by Sally

Obviously it's going to depend where you live but train is a nice way to get there, and you save on those eye-watering parking charges, it does get very busy though. If you live near London then the "Societies" trade show is probably a more relaxed way of looking at cameras & printing papers etc., a much more limited range of course:

https://thesocieties.net/convention/

1 hour ago, Sally said:

Indeed, that is the case. I was also advised by a colleague not to go at the weekend as it is so much more busy. Plus the Monday and Tuesday are geared more towards professionals with relevant masterclasses available. I signed up for one.

I've been going to this show for a number of years and attended the pro conferences.  All they are is blatant self-promotion for the speakers, apart from Joe McNally a few years ago.  I don't bother with them any more.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Simon said:

I'll be going Monday / tuesday morning, assuming I've shook this lurgi off by then 😞

If it's man flu you have then, quite clearly, you'll be lucky if you're discharged from hospital by then.  Thoughts and prayers...

On 04/01/2020 at 11:21, Sally said:

This will be the first time I am visiting the show. Free entry, so why not? I’ll be there on Monday 16th. Anyone else likely to be around for a meet up?

I’ve made a horlicks of my diary and now can’t come on the Monday so will be there Saturday/Sunday. I had hoped to avoid the bigger crowds at the weekend, but heyho. Anyway if anyone will be there over the weekend, perhaps we can have another meet up then.

Edited by Sally

• 1 month later...

Yes - I now hope to be there as have cancelled a trip to Japan. 

Saturday 11.00 at the Alamy stand may be doable, though 12.00 would be easier for me to get there in time?!

Kumar

4 hours ago, Doc said:

Yes - I now hope to be there as have cancelled a trip to Japan. 

Saturday 11.00 at the Alamy stand may be doable, though 12.00 would be easier for me to get there in time?!

Kumar

12 noon is fine for me. Let’s go for that.

46 minutes ago, Sally said:

12 noon is fine for me. Let’s go for that.

I will  driving up and be around earlier for a browse, it will be less busy then, then at the Alamy stand for 12:00.

Unfortunately the virus thingy has buggered my travel plans so I'll not be there...However clik trip will be so pop by and see what's on offer 😊

Have fun and try not to melt the credit cards 😁 

Phil

5 hours ago, Colblimp said:

I'll be there on Saturday at 12 but would rather meet for coffee, if anyone is around for that?

I’ll be there all day I imagine so just name a time.

16 hours ago, Colblimp said:

I'll be there on Saturday at 12 but would rather meet for coffee, if anyone is around for that?

I assumed the meet at the Alamy stand would result in coffee but I will get to the show as soon as I can so hopefully will be there earlier 

11 minutes ago, MDM said:

It is off guys. Just got the email.

Me too. Accommodation and train travel non-refundable. 😒
TBH I was expecting it.

Edited by Sally

57 minutes ago, Sally said:

TBH I was expecting it.

Why not go anyway.?

Even Birmingham must have something to look at......

Edited by spacecadet

1 hour ago, Sally said:

TBH I was expecting it.

Turn a negative in to a positive.

Go and do some stock. Lots of development going on at the moment in Brum. HS2 for starters.... Have a mooch around the old Curzon Street station site.

At least you might get a few quid back from picture sales.

Message from The Photography Show & The Video Show Team;
'We are incredibly disappointed that we've had to take this action so close to the event opening. However, it became clear that the recent acceleration in Covid19 cases in the UK has led to heightened concerns for all participants and the show would be negatively impacted from all perspectives should we have proceeded. We understand how important the show is both from an industry and community point of view so we are pleased that we are able to postpone to September when we are hopeful that the threat of Covid19 will have significantly rescinded. Please bear with us while we make all the necessary arrangements to facilitate this move and contact all participants'.

FAQs

Q - The show has been postponed, will I need to register again for the new dates?
A - Good news, your badge will be valid for the September show so you don't need to do anything.
Q - I have bought Extras (Masterclass tickets, Super Stage tickets, Workshop tickets), will I be issued a refund?
A - All Super Stage and Workshop tickets will be automatically refunded. Masterclass tickets will remain on your order unless you request for them to be refunded.
Q - Will the programme and exhibitors be the same for the postponed show?
A - We will aim to keep the programme the same where possible, subject to speakers being available for the new dates. We also hope that the exhibitor list will remain much the same.

Thank you for your understanding.

Kind regards,

The Photography Show & The Video Show Team

Extremely pi$$ed off with this.  However, as other people have said, lets turn it into a positive.   Who wants to meet up for a couple of hours in Birmingham on Saturday from 12?  Anyone?

Last week in Toronto 25,000 people from all over the world met for a mining conference and trade show. When asked why they were there, in light of Covid-19, attendees said they could not afford to miss the Toronto conference.

This week a conference attendee from a mining town 400 miles north of the nearest Covid-19 sufferer (Toronto) tested positive, and is in isolation.

The photography show did everyone a favour.

• Love 2
  • Like 1