October 2019 Favorite Uploads

Rico

On 19/10/2019 at 13:58, MariaJ said:

Autumn in Vancouver.

S2Y41Y.jpg

Nice view of the Sylvia. I lived in the West End once upon a time and was always afraid that they will remove those lovely vines. So far, October has been a washout (literally) for photography ...

• Love 1

Love English Bay!  There is usually hot dog kiosk close to Sylvia already on Seawall; I'd get a bratwurst, eat at one of these benches then off for a walk to Stanley park

John, looks like Oct weather has not been kind indeed. Just saw on hiking forum, already lots of snow on Seymour

1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

Nice view of the Sylvia. I lived in the West End once upon a time and was always afraid that they will remove those lovely vines. So far, October has been a washout (literally) for photography ...

Thanks. That was taken on Thanksgiving, a very pleasant day, and the last one without the pounding rain.   

Autumn Sky, yes it is a very lovely area to walk around.  I don't get down that way enough.

Every time that I walk by this tree, I am surprise to see it still standing there.

And every time it reminds me of this old song from the 80s: "I'm still standing, Yeah Yeah Yeah!"

😉

tree-on-the-edge-of-a-cliff-due-to-erosi

Made with a Fuji X-100.

• Love 4
  • Like 1

This panorama was taken Oct 17 and uploaded to Alamy over the coming weekend.  It was taken in Peter Lougheed Provincial Park, Alberta Canada on a neat hiking trail around upper Kanananskis Lake.   Area is popular with commercial / movie makers;  scenes from Brokeback Mountain were shot here, and there was Lincoln commercial shoot in progress as I pulled on parking lot.  Most photographers simply walk few meters down from the parking lot, but if you take this trail ~3.5km one way, every part is eye candy and you can also have it to yourself for the most part.  About halfway is this very neat little bay that is extremely photo-friendly and even if I've been here many times I never get tired of it:

vibrant-autumn-colors-distant-snowcapped

Some photography notes of interest:

Canon EOS 6D with 24-105L lens at 24mm

3 Frames with large overlap, stitched in CS6

ISO 125

F8 aperture

1/125 Exposure, handheld, locked across 3 frames

Post-processing notes:   It would look good even without post-processing, but I spent some time polishing it after default processing in Camera Raw. First did "HDR tonning" just to see what Photoshop thinks; most of the time I undo it, but this time I liked the result and kept it. Then some selective toning via layer masks (sky dark blue, foreground warm filter), vibrant colors and contrast. Then some sharpening along the ridgeline and finally noise reduction filter in the sky (just because I am grain paranoid in darker areas). End result is technically superb at 100%; I will show this without fear of rejection to any agency around. You can see details in these distant peaks with extreme detail. I am aware that vibrant colors might not be everyone cup of tea, but I like it that way -- it enhances that "This is Autumn" feeling. End result is 16.1 MB and 7726x2853 and would make great wall poster (I will do one for myself).

Edited by Autumn Sky
  • Love 4

I captured this image of Saint Joseph's Oratory of Mount Royal on a recent trip to Montreal, Quebec. For some reason (Dare I say climate change?) , the deciduous trees were late dressing up in their autumn colours this year, but I managed to find a few in this scene.

saint-josephs-oratory-of-mount-royal-bas

Sony a6000 with Sony 55-210 lens.

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 2

My first attempt at the milky way. Very pleased at the way it came out.

the-milky-way-above-an-illuminated-villa

Using a Nikon D850 @ 14mm a stack of 12 images. 1 exposed for the pool, 1 for the villa. Then tilting the camera up slightly 10 x 10 second exposures f2.8 at iso 3200 of the milky way.

• Love 4
  • Like 2

Twist zoom of some beech trees in autumn:

An abstract twist zoom blurred image of deciduous common beech trees in autumn / fall with colourful yellow and orange leaves in Austria, Europe Stock Photo

And a none abstract version:

Colorful Beech trees (Fagus Sylvatica) and Douglas Firs (pseudotsuga menziesii) in a forest in autumn / fall with yellow and orange leaves, Austria Stock Photo

Not sure if I should edit this type of nature shot in a more 'arty' way or leave as close to natural as possible....

Edited by Steve F
  • Love 3

One more Canadian Landscape.  Few years back we had one of worst summer wildfire seasons in Western Canada.  This pic was taken at very popular Garibaldi Lake, one of staples of Coast Mountains of British Columbia and uploaded to Alamy just couple of days ago: 

garibaldi-lake-calm-water-landscape-and-

Island with pine trees reflected in calm water is called "Battleship Island".  What makes pic interesting is reddish haze from smoke and ash;  usually peaks on far end of the lake are sharp and crisp on the horizon, but looked totally different on that day.    Even if quite popular,  this is one of my personal favorite places on this planet.  I have climbed most of these peaks around lake perimeter and also crossed frozen lake on snowshoes several times in early Spring.   

• Love 2
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Autumn Sky said:

One more Canadian Landscape.  Few years back we had one of worst summer wildfire seasons in Western Canada.  This pic was taken at very popular Garibaldi Lake, one of staples of Coast Mountains of British Columbia and uploaded to Alamy just couple of days ago: 

garibaldi-lake-calm-water-landscape-and-

I

Despite the fire's devastation, the scene is so beautiful and it says to me that nature will grow back - amazing color. What a beautiful area.

9 hours ago, hdh said:

While in Barcelona I came amids Fridays for Future protests. 

Our children need all support to keep going reminding us.

barcelona-fridays-for-future-demonstrati

Great to take photos and help them get the message out there. I need to apply to Live News again and get into the city as protests happen. So worn out from the political situation here, but saving our planet is the #1 priority. Even if I din't have a millennial daughter and a one-year-old grandson, all these kids deserve a future where they can breathe and live life to the fullest. Great shots!

• Love 1

These butterfly images are a part of what I love to shoot but seldom sell, along with birds. In order to shoot what actually sells, I have to shoot what I love, or I’d have to hang up my camera. It costs nothing to upload what I love, and hey...I never know if one will sell.

1. Gray Hairstreak with a rare (for me) above/wings open view on a rose of Sharon bloom. A tiny wee butterfly.

2. A Monarch chrysalis my neighbor raised.

3. A Monarch feeding on my dwarf butterfly bush during the migration.

The first and third shot in my own garden.

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Marianne said:

Despite the fire's devastation, the scene is so beautiful and it says to me that nature will grow back - amazing color. What a beautiful area.

Marianne - Garibaldi Lake area did not burn;   reddish haze was from wildfires in BC interior, but they were so immense layer of smoke was hanging over western Canada for large part of summer.   BC has so much forest and in dry conditions one spark is enough;   this is becoming very serious problem, although this summer was luckily without any fires.

This is pic taken in October last year from nearby vantage area in bluebird conditions & shows how area usually looks like.   I prefer the other photo though

wooden-log-bench-and-distant-snowcapped-

• Love 2

On 21/10/2019 at 21:25, John Mitchell said:

It’s happening here, too. While we have the odd brilliant tree, most of them are still fully green. We have had a couple of freezes early, the last couple of nights have been hard freezes. That will make the leaves drop without turning anything but brown. Considering autumn is my favorite season, I’m most unhappy.

Radio tower in Mexico City. I don't know if this shot entirely succeeds. What do you think? I post it here, because it's the kind of thing I'm going for. Maybe you can appreciate the idea in it, even if the execution of it isn't as good as it could be? It gives me a certain feeling.

Vintage red and white radio tower at night, backed by city lights and urban density. Mexico City, Mexico. Stock Photo

• Love 1

One of my favourites because I felt it would sell as a weather pic if I was very quick.
Taken (with a bunch of others) on the apron at Luton airport whilst walking to the plane for a flight to Belfast.
The first day of a forecasted 'Big Freeze' which never really materialised.
Shot with RX10 mk1v and uploaded to the Alamy Live news feed without any edits VIA the Sony Imaging Edge App within six mins of taking it.
It was on the Sun website and was also used in the Scottish Sun, but I'm not sure if it was on-line only.
luton-airport-28th-october-2019-aircraft-from-the-easyjet-fleet-are-de-iced-on-this-cold-and-frosty-morning-credit-mick-flynnalamy-live-news-2A6P40D.jpg

Edited by mickfly
  • Love 3